AutoCAD Civil 3D General Discussion

AutoCAD Civil 3D General Discussion

ph17il
Message 1 of 6 (540 Views)
Accepted Solution

Composite profile of a surface

540 Views, 5 Replies
03-25-2011 03:25 PM

I'm using Civil 3D 2011 and working on a planset that requires showing a composite profile of a plan area surface (Basically, I need to show a profile of all the high points on a surface within an area represented along a single alignment).  Is there a way to make this profile short of making multiple profiles and manually connecting the high points to make a single composite profile?

Thanks,

Phil

@ Neil:  Yes, I am wanting to show a profile of a surface sonsisting of only the high points in a certain area - I would like to use an approach that doesn't involve me manually picking the high points to use.

@ Rick:  Thanks for the info - the tool did help, although its still basically the same approach as Neil suggested.

@ Brian: Thanks for the info.

I was able to solve the problem by using the mill and overlay assemblies included in the pavement rehab assembly catalog.  I set a minumum clearance from the existing surface, set the grade to 0 and set the boundary targets to the polyline extents of my area.  The surface that this corridor then created profiled the highest points along the surface in the area I was looking at without me having to manually pick all the high points. 

Hope this helps if anyone else runs into this problem.

Thanks for the help and the info!

-Phil

*Expert Elite*
Neilw
Message 2 of 6 (535 Views)

Re: Composite profile of a surface

03-25-2011 03:56 PM in reply to: ph17il

I would drop COGO points at the high points you want and build a surface from them. Then sample that surface to show it in your profiles.

Neil Wilson (a.k.a. neilw)
Infrastructure Suite/C3D 2013, LDT 2004, Power Civil v8i SS1
WIN 7 64 PRO
HP Pavillion h8xt, i7 2600, 12 GB
RADEON 6450, 1 GB
http://www.sec-landmgt.com
*Expert Elite*
Neilw
Message 3 of 6 (530 Views)

03-25-2011 04:35 PM in reply to: Neilw

Well now I wonder if I misunderstood your task. It s a bit vague. Are you wanting to show all the high points within a set swath width along your alignment? Are you wanting to project all the highpoints of the entire surface onto your profiles? Are you wanting to show a profile of a surface consisting of only the high points (per my first approach)?

Neil Wilson (a.k.a. neilw)
Infrastructure Suite/C3D 2013, LDT 2004, Power Civil v8i SS1
WIN 7 64 PRO
HP Pavillion h8xt, i7 2600, 12 GB
RADEON 6450, 1 GB
http://www.sec-landmgt.com
Valued Contributor
RickGraham
Message 4 of 6 (496 Views)

03-27-2011 05:36 PM in reply to: ph17il
To show the high points, you could use the new Transpotation tools that is an addin. I believe one of those tools has the high pont that I believe you are asking about unless I am misunderstanding your question too.
Rick

*Expert Elite*
BrianHailey
Message 5 of 6 (488 Views)

03-27-2011 09:17 PM in reply to: RickGraham

If anyone is interested in more info on the Transportation Extension, I wrote it up on my blog. You can read about it HERE.

Brian Hailey
CAD-1.com
My Blog
ph17il
Message 6 of 6 (450 Views)

03-29-2011 12:35 PM in reply to: ph17il

@ Neil:  Yes, I am wanting to show a profile of a surface sonsisting of only the high points in a certain area - I would like to use an approach that doesn't involve me manually picking the high points to use.

@ Rick:  Thanks for the info - the tool did help, although its still basically the same approach as Neil suggested.

@ Brian: Thanks for the info.

I was able to solve the problem by using the mill and overlay assemblies included in the pavement rehab assembly catalog.  I set a minumum clearance from the existing surface, set the grade to 0 and set the boundary targets to the polyline extents of my area.  The surface that this corridor then created profiled the highest points along the surface in the area I was looking at without me having to manually pick all the high points. 

Hope this helps if anyone else runs into this problem.

Thanks for the help and the info!

-Phil

Post to the Community

Have questions about Autodesk products? Ask the community.

New Post
Announcements
Do you have 60 seconds to spare? The Autodesk Community Team is revamping our site ranking system and we want your feedback! Please click here to launch the 5 question survey. As always your input is greatly appreciated.