Community
Civil 3D Forum
Welcome to Autodesk’s Civil 3D Forums. Share your knowledge, ask questions, and explore popular AutoCAD Civil 3D topics.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Composite profile of a surface

6 REPLIES 6
SOLVED
Message 1 of 7
ph17il
993 Views, 6 Replies

Composite profile of a surface

I'm using Civil 3D 2011 and working on a planset that requires showing a composite profile of a plan area surface (Basically, I need to show a profile of all the high points on a surface within an area represented along a single alignment).  Is there a way to make this profile short of making multiple profiles and manually connecting the high points to make a single composite profile?

Thanks,

Phil

6 REPLIES 6
Message 2 of 7
Neilw_05
in reply to: ph17il

I would drop COGO points at the high points you want and build a surface from them. Then sample that surface to show it in your profiles.

Neil Wilson (a.k.a. neilw)
AEC Collection/C3D 2024, LDT 2004, Power Civil v8i SS1
WIN 10 64 PRO

http://www.sec-landmgt.com
Message 3 of 7
Neilw_05
in reply to: Neilw_05

Well now I wonder if I misunderstood your task. It s a bit vague. Are you wanting to show all the high points within a set swath width along your alignment? Are you wanting to project all the highpoints of the entire surface onto your profiles? Are you wanting to show a profile of a surface consisting of only the high points (per my first approach)?

Neil Wilson (a.k.a. neilw)
AEC Collection/C3D 2024, LDT 2004, Power Civil v8i SS1
WIN 10 64 PRO

http://www.sec-landmgt.com
Message 4 of 7
RickGraham

To show the high points, you could use the new Transpotation tools that is an addin. I believe one of those tools has the high pont that I believe you are asking about unless I am misunderstanding your question too.
Rick

Message 5 of 7
BrianHailey
in reply to: RickGraham

If anyone is interested in more info on the Transportation Extension, I wrote it up on my blog. You can read about it HERE.

Brian J. Hailey, P.E.

GEI Consultants
My Civil 3D Blog

Message 6 of 7
ph17il

@ Neil:  Yes, I am wanting to show a profile of a surface sonsisting of only the high points in a certain area - I would like to use an approach that doesn't involve me manually picking the high points to use.

@ Rick:  Thanks for the info - the tool did help, although its still basically the same approach as Neil suggested.

@ Brian: Thanks for the info.

I was able to solve the problem by using the mill and overlay assemblies included in the pavement rehab assembly catalog.  I set a minumum clearance from the existing surface, set the grade to 0 and set the boundary targets to the polyline extents of my area.  The surface that this corridor then created profiled the highest points along the surface in the area I was looking at without me having to manually pick all the high points. 

Hope this helps if anyone else runs into this problem.

Thanks for the help and the info!

-Phil

Message 7 of 7
Robert.Bell

Any way you could walk me through that process?

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Rail Community

Autodesk Design & Make Report