Community
Civil 3D Forum
Welcome to Autodesk’s Civil 3D Forums. Share your knowledge, ask questions, and explore popular AutoCAD Civil 3D topics.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Complex Roundabout - Help

3 REPLIES 3
Message 1 of 4
Paul-in-Florida
1763 Views, 3 Replies

Complex Roundabout - Help

I have not yet created Roundabouts using Civil 3D 2011 but I have gone through the tutorials and it seems pretty easy with a simple Roundabout.  I have tried to create the roundabout, as it is shown in the attachment, without great success.  Does anyone have any ideas?  The road running East West (Ponce de Leon) is a two way with a median divider.  I know that Palm View Ave at Ponce would be created using the Intersection Routine. Thanks for any help you can give.......

3 REPLIES 3
Message 2 of 4

You will need to follow the logic of the UK designers and design from the centre of each entry / exit lane to a crown line based in the roundabout.

I have drafted on some red lines displaying what I mean. A bit crewd but will make sence (hopefully) when read alongside this.

Create an alignment (Crown) which is located 1/3 the total lane width (between outer kerbs and central island) in the roundabout, offset from the central island outwards.

Design an alignment following the middle of the entry lanes so that it enters the roundabout and overlaps this central crown then exits the roundabout and joins the middle exit centre lane.

Do this for every leg's entry & exit then profile so that you tie everything together.

You will then need to design your subassemblies to work from each of these alignments outward.

Hopefully this will make sence.

Mike Evans

Civil3D 2022 English
Windows 7 Professional 64-bit
Intel(R) Core(TM) i7-3820 CPU @ 3.60GHz (8 CPUs), ~4.0GHz With 32768MB RAM, AMD FirePro V4900, Dedicated Memory: 984 MB, Shared Memory: 814 MB

Message 3 of 4

Thanks for the reply.  I am thinking the same way as you and have already started to do exactly as you described.

Message 4 of 4

UK designers use the Stockdale method to design roundabouts, a quick google will give you the principles.

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Rail Community

Autodesk Design & Make Report