Community
Civil 3D Forum
Welcome to Autodesk’s Civil 3D Forums. Share your knowledge, ask questions, and explore popular AutoCAD Civil 3D topics.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Comparison point on conditional subassemblies

8 REPLIES 8
SOLVED
Message 1 of 9
MLopezM
6768 Views, 8 Replies

Comparison point on conditional subassemblies

Hi guys, I'm sorry if this has an easy or obvious solution but I'm kinda new in civil 3D and this problem is making me loose a lot of time.

I need to create a corridor that has this section

0001.jpg

So I'm using this assembly:

0004.jpg

on which I put 3 conditional fill subassemblies on point A, one for fill conditions of more than 2 m that would daylight at 2:1 until it reaches 2 m down and then daylights at 1:3 until it reaches the EG. Then I have another for fill conditions of less than 2 m that only daylights at 2:1 to the EG, and the last one is for all cut conditions.

As expected I have the following problem in some stations that have fill conditions on A of less than 2 m but more than 2 m on B:

0002.jpg

Is there any way I can make B the comparison point without having the following problem on cut conditions?

0003.jpg

Or that I could create an assembly with the condition that when I have a fill of more than 2 m on point B it daylights, from point B, at 1:3; but when B would be on cut conditions it daylights from A?

I hope I made myself clear, thanks for your help.

8 REPLIES 8
Message 2 of 9
nilesh33
in reply to: MLopezM

Hi,

I thnik you should post just hand skech of condtions for cut fill condtions. That will help to redefine subassembly.

Also make background of images white while posting them on forum as they will be disticnt and east to read.

Message 3 of 9

You might also want to take a look at Subassembly Composer, and make a new SA that does what you need. Better pictures would help, but I don't think there is anything you're trying to do that Subassembly Composer couldn't handle.

Regards,

Peter Funk

Autodesk, Inc.

Peter Funk
Autodesk, Inc.

Message 4 of 9
david.zavislan

You can use generic links to shift the location of the cut/fill condition to where point B is located. The width and slope generic link seems to work best for this.  You can enter negative distances to draw them towards the middle of the assembly.   At the ends of the conditions, use generic links to shift back to where point A is, and continue building the assembly.  The following image shows the omitted links as with dashed, white lines.

AssemblyOffsetCondition.jpg

For all of the generic links that are used to shift the condition location, change the Omit property to Yes.  This will prevent them from appearing in the corridor model.

SubOmitLink.jpg

David Zavislan, P.E. | Wood Rodgers, Inc.
Message 5 of 9
fcernst

This is a great technique that David shows. I implemented this concept on a road assembly with ditches after seeing him demonstrate the technique a few months back to solve another design scenario.

This allows the assembly to "reach out" laterally and test conditons without the need for a programming loop construct.

Fred Ernst, PE
C3D 2024
Ernst Engineering
www.ernstengineering.com
Message 6 of 9
fcernst
in reply to: peterfunkautodesk

"..and make a new SA that does what you need.."

That's a nice thought, but in reality it's just not happening.

The lack of a Civil 3D run-time debugging environment and the current Unload-Reload SAC workfflow due to the DLL security issues, unfortunately currently make it prohibitive and inefficient to use SAC to solve engineering problems that involve any substantial degrees of freedom and multi-levels of complexity.

Fred Ernst, PE
C3D 2024
Ernst Engineering
www.ernstengineering.com
Message 7 of 9
doni49
in reply to: fcernst

@fcernst wrote:

The lack of a Civil 3D run-time debugging environment and the current Unload-Reload SAC workfflow due to the DLL security issues, unfortunately currently make it prohibitive and inefficient to use SAC to solve engineering problems that involve any substantial degrees of freedom and multi-levels of complexity.

I'd whole heartedly agree with that statement.  The SAC is EXTREMELY powerful and relatively easy to use (once you really understand HOW to use it).  It's jut too bad that the process of actually getting a custom SA to a point that users can actually use it STINKS so bad.  And you want to send your dwg file to someone?  Don't forget to send the SA -- and make sure they know how to import it (and that they're willing to do so).

I still find it extremely difficult to believe that with all of the custom objects that are are in C3D, they can't make a custom object that is an assembly.  From the user's stand point, the process of creating/editing one should be very similar to that of creating/editing a block.  The diff is that instead of seeing the same set of commands you see in the BE command, you'd see something that looks like the current SAC environment -- but WITHIN acad.  The SA could/should stored in a dwg file with the ability to save it to an external file (similar to WBLOCK).  Then I don't need to import SAs.  They'd just get INSERTED.

If I send my dwg file to someone, they wouldn't have to complain "did you use a custom sub-assembly?  Your drawing is throwing errors".  Some people would really rather not import someone else's sub-assembly into their own menu structure.

Ok -- down off the soap box now and sorry for the rant.  It's just that every time I think about this issue, I get really annoyed at the developers and their lack of forethought.

Don Ireland
Engineering Design Technician

If a reply solves your issue, please remember to click on "Accept as Solution". This will help other users looking to solve a similar issue. Thank you.

Please do not send a PM asking for assistance. That's what the forums are for. This allows everyone to benefit from the question asked and the answers given.

Message 8 of 9
MLopezM
in reply to: david.zavislan

Thank you, thank you, thank you! That´s exactly what I wanted.
Message 9 of 9
vinceroux
in reply to: david.zavislan

How do you set the style of the omitted links to be dashed lines? Or did you do this manually for the sake of presenting the method here?

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Rail Community

Autodesk Design & Make Report