Community
Civil 3D Forum
Welcome to Autodesk’s Civil 3D Forums. Share your knowledge, ask questions, and explore popular AutoCAD Civil 3D topics.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Comparing multiple surface volumes

10 REPLIES 10
Message 1 of 11
wilsonm2000
2437 Views, 10 Replies

Comparing multiple surface volumes

Hey

I have a big hole in the ground in my model.  Its easy to get the volume of cut with C3D.  But I have a topsoil layer, weathered rock layer and then solid rock, I basically need to break them down into different volumes.  The way I would normally do it is calculate the topsoil, then work out the weathered rock and minus the topsoil, then for solid rock cut I minus the topsoil+weathered rock.  Is there a better dynamic way of doing this?  I have attached the 3 volumes I need for info

10 REPLIES 10
Message 2 of 11
Joe-Bouza
in reply to: wilsonm2000

does each  layer have a constant datum?

Thank you

Joseph D. Bouza, P.E. (one of 'THOSE' People)

HP Z210 Workstation
Intel Xeon CPU E31240 @ 3.30 Hz
12 GB Ram

Note: Its all Resistentialism, so keep calm and carry on

64 Bit Win10 OS
Message 3 of 11
neilyj666

Have you tried volume surfaces egl vs total excn model, base topsoil vs total excn, base weathered vs total excn. You will still need to do a trivial calc to compute the topsoil and weathered volumes and the rock volume is direct from the model.

Not sure that this is any better than your current method though but you can produce pretty pictures.

you'd need to create models including the side slopes for each horizon to directly report volumes which is probably more hassle than it's worth.

neilyj (No connection with Autodesk other than using the products in the real world)
Did you find this post helpful? Feel free to Like this post.
Did your question get successfully answered? Then click on the ACCEPT SOLUTION button.

EESignature

AEC Collection 2024 UKIE (mainly Civil 3D UKIE and IW)
Win 11 Pro x64, 1Tb Primary SSD, 1Tb Secondary SSD
64Gb RAM Intel(R) Xeon(R) W-11855M CPU @ 3.2GHz
NVIDIA RTX A5000 16Gb, Dual 27" Monitor, Dell Inspiron 7760
Message 4 of 11
Joe-Bouza
in reply to: neilyj666

Thats where I was heading with one twist. If the datums are constants you can tweak the FG build elevation  and one volume surface could be used for the three quantities.

Thank you

HP Z210 Workstation
12 GB Ram

64 Bit Win10 OS
Message 5 of 11
neilyj666

Looks like a quarry or openpit mine

neilyj (No connection with Autodesk other than using the products in the real world)
Did your question get successfully answered? Then click on the ACCEPT SOLUTION button.

EESignature

Message 6 of 11
Joe-Bouza
in reply to: neilyj666

Duh...

Run an alignment through it, sample lines , sections compute materials! ( no extra surfaces required)

Dang I hate when I only think vertically

Thank you

HP Z210 Workstation
12 GB Ram

64 Bit Win10 OS
Message 7 of 11
neilyj666

I'll give this method a try although when using it the sample line spacing will need to be tight to minimise errors inherent in a sectional method.

EESignature

Message 8 of 11

If it is a quarry or open pit  then the sectionsmethod is suitable. True, it may generate some kind of minimum error, however the sections are generated automatically and give you the chance to give strictlytrack to the mining and monitors the floor levels.

I have compared the results of the calculated volumes between two triangulated surfaces using sections and other programs as Terramodel, Surpac, Surfer, etc.. The results are very similar.

Message 9 of 11

If the baseline for the sections is dragged and the sections run at 90 degrees to the original line this will give a good check on the volumes - only in a quarry/open pit situation, no good for roads etc

EESignature

Message 10 of 11
nelson.fava

Hi,

I am a beginner in AutoCAD Civil 3d. I went to the fiels with a Total Station and got near 150 points from a small basalt open-pit abandoned mine. I need the following help from you guys: 1) I realized that all the points are 180 degrees rotated around nadir. System coordinates: UTM, datum: SAD 69. Fuse: 22S. How to rotate all the points?; 2) I must calculate the volume extracted from the open-pit mine. What is the method to calculate it in AutoCAD Civil 3D?

Thanks in advance,

Nelson.

Message 11 of 11

Nelson,

For the volume question:

You will need to have 2 surfaces, one for the existing condition of the pit and another one for the original condition or Existing Ground. This can be complicated, you may not have that information.

Once you have the two surfaces, go to Analyze and Volumes Dashboard, create a new volume surface, name, and select Base surface and Comparision surface.

This is a Youtube link you will find very useful: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Ya5yJ_-phIM

If you don't have the original terrain condition, you will have to guess and create one...

Hope this helps.

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Rail Community

Autodesk Design & Make Report