Community
Civil 3D Forum
Welcome to Autodesk’s Civil 3D Forums. Share your knowledge, ask questions, and explore popular AutoCAD Civil 3D topics.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Comments on new COGO Editor

5 REPLIES 5
Message 1 of 6
tcorey
853 Views, 5 Replies

Comments on new COGO Editor

Has anyone looked at the COGO Editor in the new 2011 Subscription Advantage Pack?

It lets you create a traverse and obtain a clousre report from a polyline. That means you don't have to create a Survey Database, setups, backsights, and observations in Civil 3D Survey to get a clouse report. Just use the Pline command (with Civil 3D transparent commands) to input the traverse and then run the COGO Editor, press a couple button, and voila, a Traverse Closure report. It will even adjust the traverse and input a new, adjusted polyline back into the drawing.

Unfortunately, while you can save the traverse to an external file, I was unable to find a way to export it to Civil 3D Survey, nor to import the traverse file into Civil 3D Survey, so, as far as I know, if you do need your traverse in a Survey Database, you'll have to do it the old way. Does anyone know different? I would like to hear from you.

Someone at Autodesk was thinking. This tool simplifies traverse input to the point that anyone who knows how to create a polyline can learn in a very few minutes how to create closure reports.

Tim Corey

Redding, CA

Tim Corey
MicroCAD Training and Consulting, Inc.
Redding, CA
Autodesk Gold Reseller

New knowledge is the most valuable commodity on earth. -- Kurt Vonnegut
5 REPLIES 5
Message 2 of 6
peterfunkautodesk
in reply to: tcorey

Tim,

Thanks for the feedback on this new tool!

Right now the only way to get the traverse into the survey database would be to add the polyline and points with the COGO Editor and then import those into survey.

Cheers,

Peter Funk

Autodesk, Inc

Peter Funk
Autodesk, Inc.

Message 3 of 6
mfernandes

Ya! Great tool, long time coming.

Years ago I (18yrs ago, man, I am old! And feel it too) wrote a LISP program to do something similar.

Didn’t need it anymore, didn’t care because I moved on from surveying to engineering.

Anyway only comment is, to have the options of entering Azimuth, bearing, turned angles, similar to the old traverse editor.

However, for now, following these (can’t take credit, I got it from R. Todd ADesk) basic rules will help.

The input syntax of the COGO editor is intended to qualify the input angle type. 

N45.2559             if a Prefix but no suffix it is a Azimuth,

N 45.2559 E         if Prefix and Suffix, it is a Bearing. 

45.2559               If no prefix to the angle, it is an Interior angle,

a positive signed interior angle is an angle to right, a negative signed interior angle value is an angle to the left.

Also note that the angle unit settings are set in the drawing setting tab. The Direction property controls the type of angle units….. thanks Todd.

but come to think of it, my other comment would be to have the dialog as transparent (Modless) allowing to go to between the COGO editor and my AutoCAD screen or Toolspace

happy surveying.....

Message 4 of 6
Jorge

Hey Tim, could you please go through the steps of utilizing the Cogoeditor after you creat the polyline? There are buttons next to the POB and POC coordinates and for some reason my Help file is not coming up. Please expand on your "click a couple of buttons" expression for us newbies to Civil 3D.

Thanks, J

Message 5 of 6
tcorey
in reply to: Jorge

Here's a short video explaining the steps:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KwnPXSQ0Q8Q

Best regards,

Tim

Tim Corey
MicroCAD Training and Consulting, Inc.
Redding, CA
Autodesk Gold Reseller

New knowledge is the most valuable commodity on earth. -- Kurt Vonnegut
Message 6 of 6
peterfunkautodesk

There is another option for entering a bearing the "dot dot" option. For example: 1..45 is N 45 E and 3..45 would be S 45 W. This was a syntax that CAiCE used for input.

Cheers,

Peter Funk

Autodesk, Inc.

Peter Funk
Autodesk, Inc.

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Rail Community

Autodesk Design & Make Report