Community
Civil 3D Forum
Welcome to Autodesk’s Civil 3D Forums. Share your knowledge, ask questions, and explore popular AutoCAD Civil 3D topics.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Command line stops responding (2015)

30 REPLIES 30
SOLVED
Message 1 of 31
rkmcswain
25061 Views, 30 Replies

Command line stops responding (2015)

Anyone else have this issue?

In the middle of working in C3D 2015, the command line just stops responding.

You can place the cursor there and type away and nothing shows up.  If you type a valid command and press enter, nothing happens.

Other commands (toolbars, ribbon, etc.) execute fine although the command line does not respond to them either. So a command like QSAVE works, but you can't use a command that requires command prompt interaction (such as PEDIT)

At first I was shutting down C3D and restarting, but the last couple of times I was able to minimize C3D, move it to another monitor, then move it back and it started working again. I would not have posted anything about it, but this has happened a couple of times a day since I've been using 2015 now.

DYNMODE = 0

Command line is docked

Same config I've had for years and I've never seen this happen.

R.K. McSwain     | CADpanacea | on twitter
30 REPLIES 30
Message 2 of 31
doni49
in reply to: rkmcswain

RK,

I don't have 2015 so I can't test it here.  But I *did* experience this in 2012 just a few weeks ago.  I rebooted my pc and all was well again.  I haven't seen it happen since then.

Don Ireland
Engineering Design Technician

If a reply solves your issue, please remember to click on "Accept as Solution". This will help other users looking to solve a similar issue. Thank you.

Please do not send a PM asking for assistance. That's what the forums are for. This allows everyone to benefit from the question asked and the answers given.

Message 3 of 31
Anonymous

It's true.

It's happening to me too.

I allways have the second dwg open and I interchanged between.

It's more easy then close the dwg and opened again.

Good luck.

Message 4 of 31
rkmcswain
in reply to: Anonymous

bpoleuca wrote:

I allways have the second dwg open and I interchanged between.

Thanks. I see what is happening now. The command line input is partially occurring in a background drawing, instead of with the drawing that has focus.

Switching to another open drawing and then back to the original drawing seems to be a good workaround for this issue.

Message 5 of 31
MREveretts

YES. Anyone find a solution other than closing/reopening drawing/program?

Message 6 of 31
Anonymous

Has a solution for this been found?  I recently installed 2015 and started having this occur several times a day.  It's becoming a bit annoying.

Message 7 of 31
HQGL01

I don't know if this is a constant thing but when I switched to my other opened drawing, I noticed that a command was in action. So I pressed escape to end it and when I returned to the first drawing the command line was responding again. Will try and notice next time to see if this would be the culprit of the issue.

Message 8 of 31
HQGL01
in reply to: HQGL01

Follow up: here is what I just found. When you have multiple opened drawings and the one you are working in is doing a timed automatic save, if you are typing a command at the same time, for some reason the command will be passed to the previous opened drawing (shift+ctrl+tab). So as I stated previously, the command in action in the previous drawing causes your active drawing to not be able to type commands in the command line. So you have to go and terminate the command in the previous drawing and when you'll come back to your active drawing, you'll be able to continue you work.
Message 9 of 31
wfberry

As Randy (RK) said, just change to another drawing and back again. It is easy, just use the tab to another drawing and back. (If you don't have another opened, just make one).

Bill

Message 10 of 31
Drea_Mueller

Thanks for the follow up. This has been happening to me on a regular basis and even though it could be fixed by closing and opening the dwg again, my type A brain doesn't like that "solution without an answer response". I am almost tempted to turn automatic save off.
Message 11 of 31
HQGL01
in reply to: Drea_Mueller

ABonell,

I think I actually have an answer to your Type A Brain, well for me it actually worked, as I saw this solution in another post. I just have to type the command LEVELOFDETAILOFF and it should do the work. Although this command is supposed to make your drawings to regenerate faster, I don't think that the time saved with this command can compete with the annoyance created by the a/m problem.

Hope this helps you!

GL

Message 12 of 31
joantopo

I have also the same issue.

I hope this is fixed in 2016.

Autocad C3D 2019 SP3, 2020 & 2021
Intel I9 9900K with frontal watercooler alphacool eisbaer 360 (original fans mounted in pull)- 3 fans Corsair 120 ML PRO in push.
MOBO Gygabyte Z390 Aorus Master- Corsair RGB Vengeance 64GB RAM (4x16) CL16
Nvidia Quadro RTX 4000
Samsung 970 EVO PLUS 1TB (unit C). Samsung 970 PRO 512GB (for data)
Power Supply: Corsair TX850M PLUS

Descubre mi programa VisorNET para Civil 3D:
https://apps.autodesk.com/CIV3D/es/Detail/Index?id=appstore.exchange.autodesk.com%3avisornet_windows32and64%3aes
Message 13 of 31
Anonymous

We were discussing this phenomenon in a different thread, but I need to add that something that I learned while documenting this problem.

Not only does my command line suddenly stop responding to keyboard input with no explanation, but also my capabilities to make a selection, toggle a switch and click a button fail by mouse input. The responsiveness to both keyboard and mouse returns after tabbing to the next open drawing, and tabbing back.

The suggestion to activate the LEVELOFDETAILOFF command indicates another failure of Civil3D to live the dream. And the official response from Autodesk is to limit the value of its product with this command. The silver lining, your post is referenced in the official response. So at least we know they are aware of the issue.

Message 14 of 31
jmay1

I am using C3D 2016 and have the same problems.

It's not a fix, but if you go to Options -->  User Preferences and toggle between Keyboard Entry and Keyboard Entry Except Scripts, it allows you to enter commands on the command line and saves you from getting out of the file.

Message 15 of 31
rkmcswain

As mentioned in a couple of posts above, this can be solved by disabling LEVELOFDETAIL

Not saying what you said won't work, but if LEVELOFDETAIL is off, it won't happen to start with.

Message 16 of 31
jmay1

Thanks rkmcswain,

For some reason I didn't think it worked when I tried it, but now I think it
does. That saves me a lot of time and aggravation.

I don't know why it started doing this out of the blue. There's a few
things I'm not too happy about with the later versions of AutoCAD.

Thanks again.
Message 17 of 31
baw51473

Message 18 of 31
Anonymous
in reply to: baw51473

I'm not sure if this is the same issue, but when I was typing in "adcenter" into the command line, it would accept it (aka not show the "unknown command..." message) but the Design Center window wouldnt pop up.

I just realized now that for some reason it decided to dock itself instead of popping up as a normal window, so make sure you look where you have toolbars (like properties and external references, etc.) docked and it might be there already, thats why its not popping up.

Just a thought.

Message 19 of 31
allanbsteven

Happens to me all the time in 2016.

I guess there is no fix?

Thanks

Allan

Message 20 of 31
Anonymous

Hello ACAD people I have a strange problem with the comman line I recently ussed drawing recovery and as the drawing was ready to edit again, I didn't saw the answer of commands any more. I tried to open another drawings and they have no problems, but the recovered drawing, it is so an autocad system variable is shutted off. All the commands work properly but I can't see the answer, it is like to work blind Regards

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Rail Community

Autodesk Design & Make Report