Community
Civil 3D Forum
Welcome to Autodesk’s Civil 3D Forums. Share your knowledge, ask questions, and explore popular AutoCAD Civil 3D topics.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Combining lidar data in point cloud with surveyed data

7 REPLIES 7
Message 1 of 8
MarkLane4589
1847 Views, 7 Replies

Combining lidar data in point cloud with surveyed data

Is there any way to combine a file containing survey data that includes break lines with a point cloud that includes information gathered from LIDAR? The LIDAR data is accurate but does not provide any sort of break lines. When building the TIN surface it does not accurately reflect the top and toe of banks for creeks, roadbeds, etc.
7 REPLIES 7
Message 2 of 8
rdlongbow
in reply to: MarkLane4589

Create your point cloud, define a surface and add your breaklines.

Message 3 of 8

And I'd be careful mixing survey data with LiDAR data due to the different density of points. Normally, I would expire any lidar points that overlapped into my survey data.

Eric Collins, P.Tech.(Eng.)

Win 10
Intel i7 9700 @ 3 GHz
16 GB RAM
Civil 3D 2019
Message 4 of 8
sfore

I assume survey data overlaps the lidar data.  If it were me, I would generate a surface from the Lidar Data (EG-Lidar) and generate a surface from the survey data (EG).  Then paste survey surface (EG) in Lidar surface (EG-Lidar) to override that data area of the lidar. 

If you wanted to keep surfaces separate for a specific reason, but still have 1 surface to target, you could generate a Composite surface.  Be sure to paste EG-Lidar first and then EG last.

Message 5 of 8
ericcollins6932
in reply to: sfore

That works too...

Eric Collins, P.Tech.(Eng.)

Win 10
Intel i7 9700 @ 3 GHz
16 GB RAM
Civil 3D 2019
Message 6 of 8
MarkLane4589

When that is pasted does it effectively override and remove the LIDAR data for that area or just combine with it?
DISCLAIMER: This email message is for the sole use of the intended recipient(s) and may contain confidential and privileged information. Any unauthorized review, use, disclosure, or distribution is prohibited. If you are not the intended recipient, please contact the sender by email and destroy all copies of the original message and attachments.
Message 7 of 8
sfore

It overrides it.  If you delete the survey pasted area, then Lidar data will be there. 

FYI - once you paste surveyed area in lidar area, you can click surface outside of surveyed area and whole surface is selected including surveyed area.  If you click on pasted surveyed area, then only surveyed area is selected. Its still all 1 surface.  Past versions did this, I'm assuming newer versions also does this.

Also, you may have some ugly contours around perimeter of survey area where its tieing to lidar.  there's things you can do to smooth out that contour area.  You can extract surveyed area surface boundary, offset it 10-20' and then add to surface as breakline.  I don't ever do this because I want the engineer to see the difference especially when tieing new grading or cutting profiles and sections across these areas.

Message 8 of 8
MarkLane4589

Thanks

DISCLAIMER: This email message is for the sole use of the intended recipient(s) and may contain confidential and privileged information. Any unauthorized review, use, disclosure, or distribution is prohibited. If you are not the intended recipient, please contact the sender by email and destroy all copies of the original message and attachments.

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Rail Community

Autodesk Design & Make Report