Community
Civil 3D Forum
Welcome to Autodesk’s Civil 3D Forums. Share your knowledge, ask questions, and explore popular AutoCAD Civil 3D topics.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Combining Feature Data (Adding data to shape file)

3 REPLIES 3
Message 1 of 4
wsucoug
779 Views, 3 Replies

Combining Feature Data (Adding data to shape file)

Alright I have spent most of the day trouble shooting this issue. Usually I find a way, but instead I am going to make my first post in the forums. Humbled.

I have a master shape file that contains parcel ID, owner, tax info., etc. I have another file ( access 2003 -open to better file format suggestions-) which contains parcel ID and a "yes" or " no" entry for whether or not the parcel needs a new water meter. All I want to do is add the water meter information into the other shape file. This would create one shape file with one table with all the information that I need.

Ultimately I will use the information to do a map query and find out spatially where i need new water meters.

Right now i have the master shape file connected though the “Connect to Data” feature. I also have the new data added to the drawing though the Data sources------>attach under the “Map Explorer” Task pane. I attached access file (ver. 2003 .mdb) which has two columns “Parcel ID” and “Meter”.

I right click on the shape file under the display manager and select”Create a Join;” however my water meter table is not listed as an option. Will this not work?

Plan B - I tried to Create and connect to the access file as an ODBC connection. Followed this guy’s directions to a T http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xwk370nnOEI. But when i populate my table under the fdo connection the column headings exist ( “parcel ID” and “Meter”) but the actual data is missing. Am I missing something important?

Thanks for taking time to read this post. Any help or suggestions are appreciated. 

Note: I am running c3d 2012 on a  Win 7 64 Bit machine. I also removed office 32 bit apps and installed 64 bit apps to see if that would solve the problem. No go. 

3 REPLIES 3
Message 2 of 4
machadt
in reply to: wsucoug

Hi Thomas,

Actually that is my post and video, that one of 3 videos please take a look at this one it may help on the step that you are missing.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nNGZuQ4k2y8&feature=relmfu

Hope this will help.

Tatiana Machado
AEC-ENI Application Engineer
Message 3 of 4
wsucoug

Thank you sir. The videos were very informative. Two things to note that were not mentioned in the videos:

1) In access the  columns need to have either a text or numeric property applied to them. To do this right click on the table and enter the "Design View." There you can change column "Data Type".

2) In access a primary key must be set. In your video you did this when you import the excel file to access; however, if you neglect to do this you can change or set the primary key under the "Design View" -----.>Design tab in the ribbon ----->tools.

Message 4 of 4
wfberry

According to Tatiana Machado's picture that I have seen, you perhaps mistook her . . . 

Smiley Happy

Bill

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Rail Community

Autodesk Design & Make Report