Community
Civil 3D Forum
Welcome to Autodesk’s Civil 3D Forums. Share your knowledge, ask questions, and explore popular AutoCAD Civil 3D topics.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Color banding of points

11 REPLIES 11
Message 1 of 12
scottbhicks
515 Views, 11 Replies

Color banding of points

I'm trying to determine a way of color banding my point files so that different ranges of elevations are visually represented by different colors.  See example below that I believe was done with a different software program.  

Any ideas?

Thanks,

Scott

11 REPLIES 11
Message 2 of 12
BrianHailey
in reply to: scottbhicks

As long as you don't have negative values and you don't need the ranges to change very often, it could be done with several expressions and components but I don't know any way to automate it. 

Brian J. Hailey, P.E.

GEI Consultants
My Civil 3D Blog

Message 3 of 12
owenmull

You could do it using Lord Hailey's method, of course. 

If you don't know about / don't want to learn about / don't have time to learn about expressions, probably what I would do is pop your points into a spreadsheet editor, like Excel, and sort and break them into seperate individual files according to whatever pattern you are desiring, and then add each file as a seperate Point Group in the drawing. You can then control the various Point Groups to display more how you want them.

Of course, for sheer CAD brilliance and impressing the ladies, Lord Hailey's solution is certainly flashier and more manly. 

That's what I would do, anyway.

HTH

-Owen
Windows 7 x 64 bit

Civil 3D 2017

Using 4 Point Groups and 4 Child label styles I was able to get this:

8-29-2012 3-41-15 PM.png

Jeff_M, also a frequent Swamper
EESignature
Message 5 of 12
cbaildon001
in reply to: owenmull

No need to take the points through Excel. You can include points in a point group based on their elevation.

Regards

Caleb Baildon
Senior Surveyor
Opus International Consultants Ltd
Wellington, New Zealand
Civil3D 2015 - Windows10
Message 6 of 12
Jeff_M
in reply to: cbaildon001

Which is precisely what I did to come up with the image I posted. Took about 3 minutes to setup the label styles and create the point groups. These could then be saved to a DWT for use in future drawings.

EESignature
Message 7 of 12
sboon
in reply to: Jeff_M

You could even skip the point groups.  Open the point editor, sort by elevation, select a group of points and assign the first label style.  Select points in the next elevation range and assign the second style etc.

Steve
Expert Elite Alumnus
Message 8 of 12
neilyj666

Jeff - What do the Child Styles involve - never been very sure and hence never use them??

I'm working on a similar task at the moment and I set my point styles to Layer 0 and Colour to ByBlock and in points editor I just select the relevant points and assign the layer as required (the layer has the correct colour)

neilyj (No connection with Autodesk other than using the products in the real world)
Did you find this post helpful? Feel free to Like this post.
Did your question get successfully answered? Then click on the ACCEPT SOLUTION button.

EESignature

AEC Collection 2024 UKIE (mainly Civil 3D UKIE and IW)
Win 11 Pro x64, 1Tb Primary SSD, 1Tb Secondary SSD
64Gb RAM Intel(R) Xeon(R) W-11855M CPU @ 3.2GHz
NVIDIA RTX A5000 16Gb, Dual 27" Monitor, Dell Inspiron 7760
Message 9 of 12
Jeff_M
in reply to: neilyj666

For this quick example I just created 4 child styles of the ElevationOnly label style, giving each one a name of "Elevation Only - 92", "Elevation Only - 93", etc. Then I changed the text component color to the color I desired for that range. 

Using Child Styles insures that if the Parent style changes, other than the properties specifically changed in the child styles, so, too, will the children.

And by using the Point Groups it all stays dynamic.

EESignature
Message 10 of 12
neilyj666

Thanks Jeff - I'll look more at child styles I think

neilyj (No connection with Autodesk other than using the products in the real world)
Did you find this post helpful? Feel free to Like this post.
Did your question get successfully answered? Then click on the ACCEPT SOLUTION button.

EESignature

AEC Collection 2024 UKIE (mainly Civil 3D UKIE and IW)
Win 11 Pro x64, 1Tb Primary SSD, 1Tb Secondary SSD
64Gb RAM Intel(R) Xeon(R) W-11855M CPU @ 3.2GHz
NVIDIA RTX A5000 16Gb, Dual 27" Monitor, Dell Inspiron 7760
Message 11 of 12
Neilw_05

I'm curious as to why you need to do this. Could you not get by with a colored surface with the points overlaid? What is the ultimate objective? There may be more efficient ways of achieving it.

Neil Wilson (a.k.a. neilw)
AEC Collection/C3D 2024, LDT 2004, Power Civil v8i SS1
WIN 10 64 PRO

http://www.sec-landmgt.com
Message 12 of 12
scottbhicks
in reply to: Neilw_05

Well, it is a compilation of those two approaches. But what I'm really trying to do is mimic the output of a separate points processing application called hypack. I don't have a license for it, but was trying to get the same product. Thanks for all your replies.

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Rail Community

Autodesk Design & Make Report