Community
Civil 3D Forum
Welcome to Autodesk’s Civil 3D Forums. Share your knowledge, ask questions, and explore popular AutoCAD Civil 3D topics.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Cogo Point - Question/Functionality

4 REPLIES 4
Message 1 of 5
_Hathaway
713 Views, 4 Replies

Cogo Point - Question/Functionality

When drawing a line to a cogo point using the NODE osnap it snaps to the correct elevation of 0 (we flatten our points to elevation of 0 in our styles)

However, when drawing a line to a cogo point using the '_PO (point object) transparent command it snaps to the point elevation and reduces my line to a useless entity as far as I am concerned. 

I prefer the functionality of the '_PO snap because you can click on ANY portion of the point including the text and it 'grabs' the point.  Whereas with the NODE osnap this is no longer the case (it used to work that way in LDD).  Now I need to zoom in close to draw to a point and it's a bit annoying.

Also, why are there phantom endpoints and intersections with the Point Number, Elevation and Descriptions of cogo points?  I cannot logically think of an intended use for them.  This also causes issues because I typically have END-INT-NOD osnaps running and when connecting linework to a point it's slow due to the osnap grabbing phantom intersections of text that doesn't really exist.

Am I missing something?  Is there a more functional way to draw lines to points at 0 elevation that I am overlooking?

4 REPLIES 4
Message 2 of 5
Sinc
in reply to: _Hathaway

Set OSNAPZ = 1.

Sinc
Message 3 of 5
_Hathaway

Interestingly enough that seems to work when drawing from cogo point to cogo point using node osnap or the '_PO transparent command but it does not work correctly when drawing a line from a cogo point using the '_PO transparent command to a random line (which is 90% of what I do).   Interesting functionality, but I'm sure it's on purpose?

Message 4 of 5
Sinc

Do you mean when you use the PERP osnap to a Line?

Yeah, that gets pretty funky.  A lot of these base Autocad commands were designed for use in full 3D work, and in the Civil domain, we use more of a 2.5D paradigm, with XY+Elevation rather than full-on XYZ.  So we get unexpected results from some of these base Autocad commands.

There are other places where this difference creates issues, such as when converting Lines to (standard) Polylines.  If the source Line is not flattened to a single elevation, the resulting Polyline will be in a OCS that is twisted away from the WCS, giving it very bizzare Properties.

Sinc
Message 5 of 5
caddie99

OSNAPNODELEGACY. Set it to 1 and a node osnap will ignore the node osnap for MText objects.

see thread

http://forums.autodesk.com/t5/AutoCAD-Civil-3D/Osnap-grabs-Point-Text/td-p/2699438

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Rail Community

Autodesk Design & Make Report