Community
Civil 3D Forum
Welcome to Autodesk’s Civil 3D Forums. Share your knowledge, ask questions, and explore popular AutoCAD Civil 3D topics.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Cogo point default label and layer settings

6 REPLIES 6
SOLVED
Message 1 of 7
mahoneym
3341 Views, 6 Replies

Cogo point default label and layer settings

I am using Description Keys for all my points that I bring in from surveying in the field.  Any point that does not have a specific descriptor key ends up on a specific layer with a specific style that I cannot figure where to set.  I have gone through my point default settings as stated in other postings but all seem to be set correctly mostly to <none>.  I have gone through my Point Group settings without finding the culprit either.  I can easily change the settings as I only have a few points that do this but I want to find the issue.  Any help is greatly appreciated.

6 REPLIES 6
Message 2 of 7
sboon
in reply to: mahoneym

Typically I set it in the Create Points dialog within my template, and then forget about it after that.

Clipboard01.png

Steve
Expert Elite Alumnus
Message 3 of 7
tcorey

Settings tab of Toolspace, Point, Commands, right click Create Points, Edit command settings...

Find Default Layer to set the layer for all points that aren't controlled by DescKeys.

Expand Default Styles to control the styles of those points. If it is set to None, then these points will take on characteristics of the Point Group. If set here to something other than None, but you want the point group to control the display, in the Point Group Properties, go to Override tab and click overrides for Style and Label Style.

Tim Corey
MicroCAD Training and Consulting, Inc.
Redding, CA
Autodesk Gold Reseller

New knowledge is the most valuable commodity on earth. -- Kurt Vonnegut
Message 4 of 7
mahoneym
in reply to: sboon

Thank you both for the quick replies.  My settings are set in those commands as Default Layer <use current> and under Default Styles to the style I wish. 

But the points still come in on another layer C-PNTS-TEXT (not my choice) and the style is not what I set.

Message 5 of 7
sboon

If you look at the Command Settings dialog that Tim mentioned, is there anything in the Child Override column?

If you select one of these points and look at the Properties dialog you should be able to find out which point group it's part of.  Does that point group have any layer or style overrides in it?

Steve
Expert Elite Alumnus
Message 6 of 7
tcorey

Double check your description keys to be sure you don't have a code that is picking up points you don't intend.

Post your drawing and ascii point file.

Tim Corey
MicroCAD Training and Consulting, Inc.
Redding, CA
Autodesk Gold Reseller

New knowledge is the most valuable commodity on earth. -- Kurt Vonnegut
Message 7 of 7
mahoneym
in reply to: sboon

No child overrides but it worked when I changed the selection of <current> layer to a specific layer and began a new drawing and reimported my points.  The styles followed the defaults I set too.

Thanks

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Rail Community

Autodesk Design & Make Report