Community
Civil 3D Forum
Welcome to Autodesk’s Civil 3D Forums. Share your knowledge, ask questions, and explore popular AutoCAD Civil 3D topics.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Closed loop alignment creating a housing plot

16 REPLIES 16
Message 1 of 17
karen.chalkley
1017 Views, 16 Replies

Closed loop alignment creating a housing plot

Hi,

I am trying to create a closed loop alignment for a track. Previously i have included a small gap between two alignments to get around the problem when a housing plot is created (please see the attached dicument) when a closed alignment is created, Is there any way of getting rid of this?Or am i doing something wrong.

P.S i am still beginner at using autocad civil 3d

16 REPLIES 16
Message 2 of 17

What version are you using?

Todd Rogers
BIM Manager
Blog | Twitter | LinkedIn

Message 3 of 17
Jeff_M
in reply to: karen.chalkley

@karen.woodward wrote:

Is there any way of getting rid of this?

I'm not quite sure what you are asking about. Also, please don't post DOC files, many people won't open them due to possibility of embedded virus. Instead, just attach the image direct.

Jeff_M, also a frequent Swamper
EESignature
Message 4 of 17

I am using Civil 3d 2013 .

Message 5 of 17
karen.chalkley
in reply to: Jeff_M

Apologies. Here is the attached Jpeg.

Basically, the issue is that i do not want to create a parcel or plot. I have got a cirucit track , which a a closed loop and designed using alignment. But whenever the end chainage is conencted to 0 chaiange it creates a parcel from which creating a corridor is not possible (well this is what i think) if there is any way of resolving this issue it would be much apreicated.

Message 6 of 17
jmayo-EE

I you open C3D and get the issue to display on screen, hit the Print Screen button. Open Microsoft Paint and paste the screen cap into Paint. Save it as a png and post that file.

John Mayo

EESignature

Message 7 of 17
karen.chalkley
in reply to: jmayo-EE

Johnm,

Please see the attached. Apologies again.

Message 8 of 17
jmayo-EE

I think C3D is going to create the parcel no matter what you do since it is closing. You can change the parcel to a no-display style though.

I'm not sure waht ADesk recommends with closed alignments. Personally I get the heebie-jeebies jsut thinking about them. Anyone else use closed alignments?

John Mayo

EESignature

Message 9 of 17
ToddRogers-WPM

I created it successfully, closed, WITHOUT it creating a parcel.

Todd Rogers
BIM Manager

Message 10 of 17
dgordon

a siteless alignment would not be able to create a parcel since a parcel requires a site.

Change the alignment to siteless.

Dan

Civil 3D 2013
Win 7 Pro x64
Intel Xeon 2.0GHz
12Gb Ram
ATI Firepro 4800
Dell T5500
www.preinnewhof.com
Message 11 of 17
ToddRogers-WPM
in reply to: dgordon

Good catch dgordon!

Todd Rogers
BIM Manager

Message 12 of 17
jmayo-EE
in reply to: ToddRogers-WPM

Agreed!

Do you folks use closed alignments often? Is the fear all in my head? 🙂

John Mayo

EESignature

Message 13 of 17
karen.chalkley

I did try this option as well but the problem arises when you start building a corridor. The assembly acts as if it is created of the area created inside the lopp for some reason. Any suggestions on this.

Like i said before i always leave a small gap in my straights to overcome this issue before but this may be a wrong  method of doing this.

P.s Thanks for your replies.

Message 14 of 17
dgordon

Karen,

given the geometry of the alignment, i would suggest splitting the alignment into two alignments which share endpoints on either end.   This should clear up the problem nicely.

My earlier response was only to prevent the program from assigning the parcel style to the area inside the alignment.

Dan

Civil 3D 2013
Win 7 Pro x64
Intel Xeon 2.0GHz
12Gb Ram
ATI Firepro 4800
Dell T5500
www.preinnewhof.com
Message 15 of 17

As others have said, it's primarily a site issue (not the corridor, the parcel being created). I wrote up a blog post about this that might help: http://civil3dplus.wordpress.com/2010/09/06/when-a-site-isnt-a-site/ 

Brian J. Hailey, P.E.

GEI Consultants
My Civil 3D Blog

Message 16 of 17

Spoiler

Brain,

Thanks for this i did use this option as well before but like you said on your blog there is no interaction between the two alingments. I have resolved this issues with following

1) As dan suggested use two alignments but with a breakline in the straights very minute distance which may be ignored and use the featureline to close the loop

2) Create a surface from half the alignment and use this as the new existing surface.

Will have to see if there is any another way. The problem is for people designing new closed loop raodway/tracks. :(.

Message 17 of 17

Communicate

I thought you said you didn't want the alignments to interact with each other. The ONLY thing that putting an alignment in a site does for you is it allows that alignment to be used as a parcel segment. Nothing else. Zip. Zero. Nada. If you want them to define parcels, put them in a site. If you don't want them to define parcels, don't put them in a site.

Oh, and sorry about the image, I just heard the Guns-n-Roses song on the radio the other day and that quote has been stuck in my head.

Brian J. Hailey, P.E.

GEI Consultants
My Civil 3D Blog

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Rail Community

Autodesk Design & Make Report