Community
Civil 3D Forum
Welcome to Autodesk’s Civil 3D Forums. Share your knowledge, ask questions, and explore popular AutoCAD Civil 3D topics.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Clipping WMS Images

6 REPLIES 6
Message 1 of 7
lea0801
5259 Views, 6 Replies

Clipping WMS Images

I have a drawing that has an aerial photo inserted into it using a WMS Connection.  I was wondering if there is a way to clip the image down to a smaller area.  For SHP connections, we have an option to insert to drawing using query, but this option does not seem to be available for a WMS data connection.

Tags (1)
6 REPLIES 6
Message 2 of 7
andy.manninen
in reply to: lea0801

does IMAGECLIP (modify image boundary) or XCLIP (clip XREF's to a boundary) work with WMS?

:Cheers:

Windows 7 x 64
12 GB Ram
Intel Xeon Quad 3.20 GHz
NVIDIA Quadro FX 1800
Civil 3D 2014 V2
Message 3 of 7
Murph_Map

@lea0801 wrote:

I have a drawing that has an aerial photo inserted into it using a WMS Connection.  I was wondering if there is a way to clip the image down to a smaller area.  For SHP connections, we have an option to insert to drawing using query, but this option does not seem to be available for a WMS data connection.

With data connect you can zoom in to the size you want then right click on the raster layer (form the map display manager) and select resample.

Murph
Supporting the troops daily.
Tags (1)
Message 4 of 7
kse-engineering

Clipping is not a feature.  

with other Data Connect sources, like shp files, you can query it using a bounding area, but not a wms layer, at least in 2012.

i've been staying in the layout view so the wms is limited to the viewport.  been working well.

Message 5 of 7
Group1341

I've run into this issue also. It will be nice if at the data connect stage we could 'add to drawing with query' then bring the WMS into a specified extent (query by location). hopefully in the future AutoCAD will add this.

In addition to clipping the image, we need to somehow include the image in a stand-alone archive package. Here is the process I've utilized:

1 Copy the viewport frame into Model space

2 Isolate the view frame and the WMS

3 Maximize your screen area (this improves the resolution) and zoom-w around the frame

4 Run JPGOUT, save file as jpg

5 Hide the viewport frame and run JPGOUT again save as ***clean.jpg

6 Insert the 1st jpeg you saved, use the View frame in model space to correlate(move / rotate / scale) it

7 replace the 1st jpg with the ***clean.jpg - this is to hide the viewport line.

Note:

Don't pan or zoom between steps 4 and 5

Step 5 and 7 are optional, Its a good practice because the view frame might show on the edge of your image and look funny. Also if the view is panned slightly you wont have to start over.

I've asked one of our programmers to make a tool to do this automatically, as we plan to use WMS images more in the future.

Tags (2)
Message 6 of 7
antoniovinci
in reply to: Group1341

Instead of juggling with JPGOUT and viewports, you can save locally any WMS area as TIF/TFW pair, thru the must-have opensource Qgis... 

Message 7 of 7
ecalzavara
in reply to: Group1341

Great step-by-step.....if it work. When I do it on only saves the square of the viewport and the CAD background, but without the aerials.... any idea why?

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Rail Community

Autodesk Design & Make Report