Community
Civil 3D Forum
Welcome to Autodesk’s Civil 3D Forums. Share your knowledge, ask questions, and explore popular AutoCAD Civil 3D topics.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Civils3D questions - please help

6 REPLIES 6
SOLVED
Message 1 of 7
CLMSJ
451 Views, 6 Replies

Civils3D questions - please help

Hi,

My company are looking into purchasing the Civils3D software as we are looking to expand. We currently use Autodesk Revit for building structures, but when it comes to roads/drainage we still use AutoCAD and a basic drainage design programme. I have a few questions which i am oping somebody could answer:

1. Can Civils3D model surface water drainage systems with various flow restrictions? e.g. hydrobrakes, pumps, oriface plates etc.?
  2. Can it simulate flows for storms with different durations and return periods?
  3. Is it possible to model complicated areas of roads surfaces similar to the layout on the attached PDF?
  4. Is there an option similar to Revit where you can view your Drainage scheme, roads, topography in a 3D visual view? can you change to graphics of these views similar to Revit does?
  5. Once a site is modelled using civils3d, can it be linked into a revit project?
  6. Can anyone recommend any online sites which have training videos for Civils3D?
  7. I Couldn't find the prices on the site, could anyone tell me how much it is per license for Civils 3D or direct me where i can find this?

Any help would be much appreciated.

Thanks

Craig Larkin

6 REPLIES 6
Message 2 of 7
Anonymous
in reply to: CLMSJ

I like eagle points pinnacle series training videos. There is a yearly subscription cost, but they are well orginized and worth it in my opinion for anyone learning autocad.

http://www.eaglepoint.com/products/pinnacleseries/psbe.html

Message 3 of 7
CLMSJ
in reply to: Anonymous

Thanks Dave that site looks good.

Can you answer any other my other questions regarding civils 3d?

Message 4 of 7
troma

1. No, I don't think so. We use Midus for storm water modelling.
2. Ditto
3. You can model just about any road you can imagine. I looked at your pdf and I don't understand it though. Is that a parking lot? Doesn't look that complicated, I'm just not sure what the lines are...
4. I don't do 3D orbit much, but it is there.
5. I don't believe so. Maybe ask on the Revit forum.

Mark Green

Working on Civil 3D in Canada

Message 5 of 7
colton.determan

1. Can Civils3D model surface water drainage systems with various flow restrictions? e.g. hydrobrakes, pumps, oriface plates etc.?
    2. Can it simulate flows for storms with different durations and return periods? 1&2 are kind of a work in progress. we don't use them at my company because we have watercad and engineers are typically slow to evolve.
    3. Is it possible to model complicated areas of roads surfaces similar to the layout on the attached PDF? yes side design is 80% of my work in C3D and you can get any information wanted, needed and not wanted with C3D
    4. Is there an option similar to Revit where you can view your Drainage scheme, roads, topography in a 3D visual view? can you change to graphics of these views similar to Revit does?)
    5. Once a site is modelled using civils3d, can it be linked into a revit project? 4&5 I've never used it but I know they are all supposed to play nice togeather (suposed to being the key work)
    6. Can anyone recommend any online sites which have training videos for Civils3D? YouTube is great! there are quite a few videos to go through.
    7. I Couldn't find the prices on the site, could anyone tell me how much it is per license for Civils 3D or direct me where i can find this? local vender. probably the same one you are using for Revit.
Message 6 of 7
kcobabe

To expand on 4&5 since other's have helped in the other questions.

You can change the display, but not as easy as in Revit.  You actually have to change the style being used.  It's not a hard process, but it would be nice if Autodesk would include the visual stuff in MEP, Revit, Plant, etc...  where you tell the drawing what it is and it makes the display the same.  Sadly, does not exist right now unless you do a layer state 😞  Atleast as far as I know.

Revit and Civil 3D work very well together.  However, if you really want to make them play well (i.e. clash detection) I would employee Navisworks as well.  If you just need the site in there for design purposes in Revit, pretty simple to do.  There are video and blogs all over the net stating how to do this.

R10 - 2020 ACAD
2008 - 2020 Civil 3D
2014 - 2020 Plant 3D
2014 - 2020 Revit
V8i - V8i SS4 Microstation
Infraworks
2018-2020 Inventor
2020 Navisworks
Message 7 of 7
annw2
in reply to: colton.determan

1. Can Civils3D model surface water drainage systems with various flow restrictions? e.g. hydrobrakes, pumps, oriface plates etc.? I do orifices in the Hydrograph program incoroporated into 3d.  I don't do the others.  Maybe SSA.  I just had one class 2 years ago. Try this question on the stormwater site.
  2. Can it simulate flows for storms with different durations and return periods? 1&2 are kind of a work in progress. we don't use them at my company because we have watercad and engineers are typically slow to evolve. I've been using the Hydrograph & StormSewer program for decades.  One is SCS routing the other is rational pipe design.  SSA is another product available that I haven't used as I didn't see any advantage when I took the class.
Ann Wingert, P.E.

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Rail Community

Autodesk Design & Make Report