Community
Civil 3D Forum
Welcome to Autodesk’s Civil 3D Forums. Share your knowledge, ask questions, and explore popular AutoCAD Civil 3D topics.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Civils 3D to IFC

5 REPLIES 5
Message 1 of 6
darthshearer
3735 Views, 5 Replies

Civils 3D to IFC

Is this possible?

We are working on a project where the contractor has requested an IFC file of the drainage.  We have done this in C3D.

I have tried IFCExport on AutoCAD Architecture but this only exports certain elements and those in 2D.

Any help appreciated.

5 REPLIES 5
Message 2 of 6
darthshearer
in reply to: darthshearer

jsut thought about this and will give it a go.

Export NWC

NWC Open in Navis, export to IFC

Message 3 of 6

AutoCAD Architecture contains the IFC Export functionality.  A user could open a CIvil 3D drawing with AutoCAD Architecture, together with some effort and from a model view (plan view results in flat 2D elements), create an IFC file of the 3D elements. 

Matthew Anderson, PE CFM
Product Manager
Autodesk (Innovyze)
Message 4 of 6
darthshearer

Matt, thanks for the reply, much apprecitaed.

Can you elaborate on "together with some effort"

I open the C3D native file in Architecture and its all 2D.  The pipes etc all 2D.

Is this a problem with C3D file, or have I done something wrong when opening the file?  Some setting perhaps?

Message 5 of 6

Civil 3D elements in Plan View display flat.  (Its quicker that way)

Change the view to model, or isometric view to enable the Civil 3D objects to become 'model' elements.  The view of the model dictates how elements are exported.

As for effort, there are a number of ACA settings that can be established for materials etc... 

Matthew Anderson, PE CFM
Product Manager
Autodesk (Innovyze)
Message 6 of 6
MikeEvansUK

Hi Matt, I recently endeavored to find a solution for exporting Bim objects to Navisworks & Dwfx which crosses over this posting.

A support case was opened and after a number of questions were asked internally it was closed with the following conclusions.

Export of Civil3d data (pipe networks in this case) to Navisworks / 3dDwfx is limited to only certain object properties and will not export any custom user context information. Some out of the box information is also missing from the export.

Export of Map object data from civil3d objects. Exporting Map data only works from the export Map 2Ddwf when object data is selected, it will only produce information in 2D format only. 3DDwfx files do not produce any Map object data.

Open the Civil3d drawing directly in Navisworks. The same limited Civil3d properties are imported and custom contexts are not included, Map object data is not included.

My conclusion was that for BIM purposes the only real useable solution is to use a program to export the entire civil3d context and part data to a Map object data table then use the 2D DWF through map export to take the custom information to Navisworks but obviously this wont enable Clash detection and is 2d so it's fairly useless for a project working between Revit (A)(S)(MEP) & Civil3d.

Possible short term solution could be to import basic information from the Civil3d exported model then add a new table data in Navisworks for each part from the exported Map object data, this will require a lot of additional custom programming which I am not sure will work yet.

This is some thing which does need to be fixed in both Navisworks, Map3d and also Civil3D in the short term as all of our projects are now BIM and the passing of additional contexts and information is critical to our projects. If this won't work then I suspect I'll be pushed to do drainage designs in Revit (which I do not want to do for obvious reasons)

Also the interaction between Revit and Civil3d needs to be fixed so that all part data & contexts can be imported with a 3d model in revit and also the other way around. The only solution currently is to use 3d Dwg / acis exports to interact.

Rant Over.

M

Mike Evans

Civil3D 2022 English
Windows 7 Professional 64-bit
Intel(R) Core(TM) i7-3820 CPU @ 3.60GHz (8 CPUs), ~4.0GHz With 32768MB RAM, AMD FirePro V4900, Dedicated Memory: 984 MB, Shared Memory: 814 MB

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Rail Community

Autodesk Design & Make Report