Community
Civil 3D Forum
Welcome to Autodesk’s Civil 3D Forums. Share your knowledge, ask questions, and explore popular AutoCAD Civil 3D topics.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

civil3d wont open drawing

10 REPLIES 10
Message 1 of 11
ldodge
710 Views, 10 Replies

civil3d wont open drawing

Dell Precision PWS390

Intel(r) Core(TM)2CPU

6600 @ 2.40GHz

2.39 GHz, 3.25 GB of Ram

Nvidia GeForce 8400 GS 1024mb DDR3(new)

Opening drawing uses up memory (1.2g) vitural memory (1.4g) then crashes and asks to send a report. Earlier characteristics were if the drawing opened the memory would be near max limits, then I would minmize the drawing and the memory would go down to about 20k. Restore the drawing and it would slowly start building its way back up again.

The old video card had the same results but the newer card loads faster. Old card had 256meg.

5 xrefs, all civil3d. All -purged. Ran regaps. Took out all misc drawing scales. No xrefs in the xrefs.

I have attach a screenshot of the task manager before it dies.

It has been a while since I have been here so if I dont respond please email me. ldodge@rogina.com

10 REPLIES 10
Message 2 of 11
pendean
in reply to: ldodge

Friend, that is a very low end PC, ancient OS and low end PC specs you go theret: your problems are not vieod card exclusive.
Message 3 of 11
AllenJessup

What version of Civil 3D? It would have to be pretty old to have any hope of using it effectively with 4GB of RAM.

Allen Jessup

Civil 3D 2012 SP 3 / IDSP 2014
Dell Precision T3610, Xeon CPU 3.70 GHz
Win 7 Pro, 64-bit,32 GB RAM, Nvidia Quadro K4000
Samsung SSD 512GB
HGST (WD) 512GB drive

Allen Jessup
CAD Manager - Designer
Did you find this post helpful? Feel free to Like this post.
Did your question get successfully answered? Then click on the ACCEPT SOLUTION button.

EESignature

Message 4 of 11
troma
in reply to: AllenJessup

Dean, how can you tell the OS? I don't see it listed. I've had aero theme turned off ever since I saw it, so my task manager looks like the picture posted by OP. I'm running Win7 32 bit.

Allen, I'm running C3D 2011 & 2013 on Win7 32bit. I believe I have the 3GB switch enabled, so of 4GB onboard, there is 3 for C3D to play with. Not saying I wouldn't like more, but it gets the job done.

Mark Green

Working on Civil 3D in Canada

Message 5 of 11
AllenJessup
in reply to: troma

@troma wrote:

Allen, I'm running C3D 2011 & 2013 on Win7 32bit. I believe I have the 3GB switch enabled, so of 4GB onboard, there is 3 for C3D to play with. Not saying I wouldn't like more, but it gets the job done.

Well..... I suppose it depends on what you're doing and maybe how well you do it. But I got very familiar with the out of memory problems the OP described. I also spent a lot of time getting coffee while waiting for things to process. Not so much the past couple of days since I got my new computer.

Allen

Allen Jessup
CAD Manager - Designer
Did your question get successfully answered? Then click on the ACCEPT SOLUTION button.

EESignature

Message 6 of 11
ldodge
in reply to: AllenJessup

Message 7 of 11
ldodge

xp service pack 3
Message 8 of 11
ldodge
in reply to: pendean

Its kind of like the first car you get. You dont have much input on what it is, but its yours.

Message 9 of 11
sboon

You might want to point out to your boss that you're getting paid by the hour to drive an oxcart, while the rest of us are using automobiles - relatively speaking. Smiley Wink

Steve
Expert Elite Alumnus
Message 10 of 11
pendean

Amazon sells them for $200, Win XP "Pro". Overstock is selling them to the clueless at $240.

Search the Dell model number, it's not rocket science 🙂

XP ain't Win 7.

The OP is getting paid to sit on his hands: obviously his firm has a lot of money to waste paying professionals to wait around for software to do it's thing.

Message 11 of 11
AllenJessup

@ldodge wrote:

Its kind of like the first car you get. You dont have much input on what it is, but its yours.

If that's what you have to work with. You'll have to accept it's limitations. There will be some drawings too large to open. You might try opening it as Autocad only and Wblock out all the non-Civil 3D entities. Then break those out into smaller drawing and Xref them in and out as needed. Also use Drefs extensively.

If you have 12 tons to move and only have a 1 ton truck. You'll have to make a lot of trips.

Allen

Allen Jessup
CAD Manager - Designer

EESignature

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Rail Community

Autodesk Design & Make Report