Community
Civil 3D Forum
Welcome to Autodesk’s Civil 3D Forums. Share your knowledge, ask questions, and explore popular AutoCAD Civil 3D topics.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Civil3D surface data to GIS

23 REPLIES 23
SOLVED
Message 1 of 24
watersam
7153 Views, 23 Replies

Civil3D surface data to GIS

I do a lot of hydraulic modeling and create river bed surface datafrom surveyed points.  I need to be able to transfer the surface data from Civil3D to GIS effectively.  The issue is that GIS does not maintain the fidelity of my surface based on the breaklines I've drawn.  It triangulates based on vertices and often triangulates through the feature lines.  In LDD, I was able to do address this by adding vertices to my 3D polylines in a batch-type function.  That is, I could select all of my 3D polylines and add vertices to them at the same time.  In Civil3D, I have to add vertices to each feature line individually. 

Does anyone know of a way to add vertices to feature lines, or to a surface, in a more efficient manner that maintains fidelity of surface data in the transfer from Civil3D to GIS?

Thanks,

Sam

23 REPLIES 23
Message 2 of 24
Matt.Anderson
in reply to: watersam

Have you looked into Project River Analysis for your River Hydraulic Modeling?  

On your original questions - you could always "smooth" your surface, and then reproject your breaklines onto the surface to add additional verticies.

Matthew Anderson, PE CFM
Product Manager
Autodesk (Innovyze)
Message 3 of 24
neilyj666

Can you export the triangles (I'm not particularly familiar with GIS but this is a fairly foolproof way of maintaining the fidelity of the surface)

neilyj (No connection with Autodesk other than using the products in the real world)
Did you find this post helpful? Feel free to Like this post.
Did your question get successfully answered? Then click on the ACCEPT SOLUTION button.

EESignature

AEC Collection 2024 UKIE (mainly Civil 3D UKIE and IW)
Win 11 Pro x64, 1Tb Primary SSD, 1Tb Secondary SSD
64Gb RAM Intel(R) Xeon(R) W-11855M CPU @ 3.2GHz
NVIDIA RTX A5000 16Gb, Dual 27" Monitor, Dell Inspiron 7760
Message 4 of 24
watersam
in reply to: Matt.Anderson

I'll look into this....

Message 5 of 24
watersam
in reply to: neilyj666

Thanks, but GIS still only looks at the triangle vertices and doesn't understand the breaklines.  I might have come up with a work-around though.  I exported the triangles as a polygon shapefile, then converted it to a polyline shape and then used the ETGeowizards tools in GIS to densify the polylines to a 1' vertex spacing so that GIS will hopefully have difficulty interpolating through the triangle sides.  This seems to have given satisfactory results and is not too lengthy a process.

Message 6 of 24
neilyj666

Check out the AU class from 2010 CV231-1 Slope stability analysis wih Civil 3d by Donal McMoreland where he extracts surfaces to GIS (I'm working through it at the moment) that may help you a bit. I'm no GIS guru so don't know whether it will or not

neilyj (No connection with Autodesk other than using the products in the real world)
Did you find this post helpful? Feel free to Like this post.
Did your question get successfully answered? Then click on the ACCEPT SOLUTION button.

EESignature

AEC Collection 2024 UKIE (mainly Civil 3D UKIE and IW)
Win 11 Pro x64, 1Tb Primary SSD, 1Tb Secondary SSD
64Gb RAM Intel(R) Xeon(R) W-11855M CPU @ 3.2GHz
NVIDIA RTX A5000 16Gb, Dual 27" Monitor, Dell Inspiron 7760
Message 7 of 24
Matt.Anderson

Sam -

What type of GIS analysis are you preparing?

btw - Project River Analysis is a free download here: http://labs.autodesk.com/utilities/civil3d_river/

Matthew Anderson, PE CFM
Product Manager
Autodesk (Innovyze)
Message 8 of 24
Murph_Map

What type of GIS program, E$SRI is only one there are many out there that work as well or better that handle DEM/TIN data differently.

Murph
Supporting the troops daily.
Message 9 of 24
watersam

Matt,

Thanks again for the modeling info.  I'm not doing much of an analysis in GIS.  Simply getting my surface data for the channel of a river pasted into a monster LiDAR surface and then exporting those points to a 2D hydraulic model.  GIS handles the large point files better and it's the platform that everyone else in my office uses.  In addition, point export functions in GIS seem to have more options for adjusting density.  I did try using a point cloud to make a LiDAR surface and that worked OK, but in this case there are more heavy surfaces that are involved that are already processed in GIS, so it makes sense for me to transfer the TIN to GIS.  Also, the surface created in the 2D model will bear more resemblance to the GIS surface in terms of how it triangulates data, so viewing and manipulating surfaces in GIS prior to incorporating in a model makes sense.

-Sam

Message 10 of 24
ericcollins6932

Breaklines can be added to the surface in GIS - you'll just have to bring them in.

http://webhelp.esri.com/arcgisdesktop/9.3/index.cfm?TopicName=Breaklines%20in%20surface%20modeling

Eric Collins, P.Tech.(Eng.)

Win 10
Intel i7 9700 @ 3 GHz
16 GB RAM
Civil 3D 2019
Message 11 of 24
watersam
in reply to: ericcollins6932

thanks, Eric.  It's the "bringing them in" that I'm trying to figure out.  If you know of a way to bring C3D feature lines directly into GIS as a polylineZM shapefile, please let me know!  That would solve all my problems.  I could densify my 3D lines in GIS, make the tin in GIS and avoid all the conversions.

-Sam

Message 12 of 24
Matt.Anderson

Sam -

Thanks.  So, within ESRI, you are using XPSWMM or MIKE for the 2D simulation?  River Analysis is a just HEC-RAS, or 1D simulation tool. 

Why the 2D hydraulic simulation? Regulatory?

sorry for the inquisition...

Matthew Anderson, PE CFM
Product Manager
Autodesk (Innovyze)
Message 13 of 24
Matt.Anderson
in reply to: Murph_Map

Murph -

No, I assume its that base program.  I am more interested in the Hydraulic analysis that he is attempting to perform once he gets the surface TIN.

As he explained:

LiDAR data set -> processed into GIS

Surveyd channel -> Civil 3D -> export via subject of original post -> push into GIS

Final surface in GIS so that XYZ program can read it and perform 2D hydraulic riverine flooding analysis.

so, I am after XYZ...

Matthew Anderson, PE CFM
Product Manager
Autodesk (Innovyze)
Message 14 of 24
ericcollins6932

featurelines are civil objects and ESRI can't handle objects. Export to Autocad 2007 I think will convert/explode your feature lines to polylines? Then you could just add the .dwg as a layer and export them to a shapefile.

If the export to acad 2007 doesn't do it, you can always convert feature lines to polylines, and then bring them into esri.

Win 10
Intel i7 9700 @ 3 GHz
16 GB RAM
Civil 3D 2019
Message 15 of 24
watersam

Matt and Murph,

Sorry for holding out on you....I'm using ArcGIS--that's what I've got and I don't think that's going to change.  The 2D hydraulic model I'll be using could be any number of models, depending on the client.  Typically, we'll use MIKE21, SRH2D, River2D, and we're going to be getting another model soon.  I'm not sure which one this surface will go into, but I think it'll be MIKE, as there will be several types of analyses done.  We use 2D models because we focus on habitat, natural processes, etc., and 2D simply gives a much more detailed explanation of the hydraulics.

As for my original question, I think a recent poster just answered my question.  I'll export the feature lines to a previous version.  2000 is best for creating shapefiles in ArcGIS, in my experience.  I'll make a polyline shapefile out of the exploded feature lines (they come in as fragments of lines, at elevation once saved back) and densify the polylines until they're approaching a string of points.  That oughta do it.  So thanks for that post, and I apologize for not acknowledging your name, I just can't see it on my current page.

-Sam

Message 16 of 24
watersam
in reply to: ericcollins6932

Thanks, Eric!  That's the solution I've been looking for for some time now.

-Sam

Message 17 of 24
Murph_Map

@watersam wrote:

As for my original question, I think a recent poster just answered my question.  I'll export the feature lines to a previous version.  2000 is best for creating shapefiles in ArcGIS, in my experience.  I'll make a polyline shapefile out of the exploded feature lines (they come in as fragments of lines, at elevation once saved back) and densify the polylines until they're approaching a string of points.  That oughta do it.  So thanks for that post, and I apologize for not acknowledging your name, I just can't see it on my current page.

-Sam

When you export 3d plines with the Map export command to an E$RI shp format, on the option tab click on driver options and select 3D shape files, this should create the zpoly feature type.

Murph
Supporting the troops daily.
Message 18 of 24
ericcollins6932
in reply to: Murph_Map

Murph's elegant solution vs my brute force one - I love it.

Am stealing Murph's solution for my tricks CASE document...

CASE = copy and steal everything...

Win 10
Intel i7 9700 @ 3 GHz
16 GB RAM
Civil 3D 2019
Message 19 of 24
wdbar

I'm curious if you guys ever run into situations where you use LiDAR info to suppliment an on the ground topo survey.  If so, how do you handle the scaling coversion from Grid to Local?  Do you covert in ESRI and build Civil 3D surfaces after ESRI transposes it?

I've built several surfaces from GIS files in C3D over a large developement and the scale difference is very glaring.  Ny first instinct is to scale the surface entity to local.  But I'm wondering if I should be creating contours and scaling the extracted polylines and rebuilding the surface from the scaled polylines.

Message 20 of 24
wfberry
in reply to: wdbar

Covert?  Are you kidding?

Seriously, what you are doing is commonly referred as hi-jacking an existing thread.  Please start a new one with the approproate title.

Thanks,

Bill

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Rail Community

Autodesk Design & Make Report