Community
Civil 3D Forum
Welcome to Autodesk’s Civil 3D Forums. Share your knowledge, ask questions, and explore popular AutoCAD Civil 3D topics.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Civil3D Pipe Bury Depth Rules

2 REPLIES 2
Message 1 of 3
Anonymous
854 Views, 2 Replies

Civil3D Pipe Bury Depth Rules

I am currently working on a water line on a site that has some pretty steep slopes. Does anyone know how to properly use the Pipe Rules? I have one currently set up to a 6' pipe cover, but it doesn't seem to work 100%. Any thoughts? Also, at points where drastic elevation changes occur, does Civil3D have the ability to automatically insert structures to maintain a set bury depth?

2 REPLIES 2
Message 2 of 3
BrianHailey
in reply to: Anonymous

It sounds like you are using pipe networks and not pressure networks, please correct me if I'm wrong.

When laying out pipes in a pipe network, Civil 3D does the best it can to maintain the rules but it isn't always able to. After your pipes are laid out, you can reapply the rules and this might get you close. I always like to tell people to not confuse rules with design. The rules aren't there to do your design for you, just to give you a starting point and to let you know if your design violates the rules.

As to automatically adding additional structures in terrain that varies a lot, pipe networks won't do that. You'll have to manually add the structures.

If you are using pressure networks, you can set your pipe(s) to follow the surface and it will break your pipe up according to the set cut length and it will follow the surface at a specific cover.

Brian J. Hailey, P.E.

GEI Consultants
My Civil 3D Blog

Message 3 of 3
kcobabe
in reply to: Anonymous

As stated before, we would need to know exactly what system you are using.

Pressure networks have the exact tool you are looking for.  You can have the line follow the ground and it will defelect and place bends dependent on what is needed to follow the ground.

If you are using the gravity system, it's a little more difficult, but not to difficult.  The main thing is you have to go back in after and clean it up a bit if the deflection angle or a bend would not be logically allowable.  Basically you just create a feature line that follows the ground, then create a system by an object.  If it's a small system I would just go in there and do it manually.  Pretty easy to do using the Vport command and the Null object.  Just make sure you have a style that will create a non plotable entity.  If you don't finding all those little suckers could be tricky.

R10 - 2020 ACAD
2008 - 2020 Civil 3D
2014 - 2020 Plant 3D
2014 - 2020 Revit
V8i - V8i SS4 Microstation
Infraworks
2018-2020 Inventor
2020 Navisworks

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Rail Community

Autodesk Design & Make Report