AutoCAD Civil 3D General Discussion

AutoCAD Civil 3D General Discussion

Reply
*Expert Elite*
antoniovinci
Posts: 1,783
Registered: ‎06-03-2011
Message 11 of 40 (532 Views)

Re: Civil3D not for the occasional user....

02-19-2012 11:27 PM in reply to: paulhoman

paulhoman wrote:

This fact has made it an absolute nightmare implementing Civil3D into our work


Sorry, Paul, but.. why did you buy Civil???

If I'd want to fly, I would buy a Cessna, not a Jumbo Jet.

Or, if I have money to buy a Jumbo Jet, I should try its features for a while (i.e. 30 day Civil's free trial version)...

 

 

Edited by
Discussion_Admin

*Expert Elite*
neilyj
Posts: 3,989
Registered: ‎08-01-2008
Message 12 of 40 (530 Views)

Re: Civil3D not for the occasional user....

02-20-2012 01:08 AM in reply to: paulhoman

paulhoman wrote:

We are a consulting engineering firm that uses AutoCAD and Civil3D.  However, it is necessary for us to use Civil3D only about 5% of the time in our drafting and design work.  This fact has made it an absolute nightmare implementing Civil3D into our work.


Not sure that Civil 3D is the right program for you if you are only using it 5% of the time - seems to me that it will be greatly underused. However if you start using it more frequently you'll probably not want to use vanilla AutoCAD.....

neilyj
(No connection with Autodesk other than using the products in the real world)


IDSP Premium 2015 (mainly Civil 3D 2015 UKIE & Infraworks with some limited 3ds Max Design)
Win 7 Pro x64, 500Gb SSD, 1Tb HDD
32Gb Ram Intel Xeon CPU E5-2650 v2 @ 2.6GHz (32 CPUs), ~2.6GHz
NVIDIA Quadro K4000, Dual 27" Monitor, Dell T5610
Mentor
mikehathaway2942
Posts: 271
Registered: ‎10-13-2009
Message 13 of 40 (493 Views)

Re: Civil3D not for the occasional user....

02-21-2012 12:32 PM in reply to: antoniovinci

antoniovinci wrote:

paulhoman wrote:

This fact has made it an absolute nightmare implementing Civil3D into our work


Sorry, Paul, but.. why did you buy Civil???

If I'd want to fly, I would buy a Cessna, not a Jumbo Jet.

Or, if I have money to buy a Jumbo Jet, I should try its features for a while (i.e. 30 day Civil's free trial version)...

So now, since you bought a Jumbo (not fitting your needs) there's no room to complain, sir.


I seriously doubt that Paul had anything to do with the purchasing of software his company. Most end users don't.  It's typically upper management that does this and in the case of Civil3d being treated like a step up from LDD...when in fact it is an entirely new piece of software.  End users understand this while most people in charge of actually purchasing it do not.  Sure, there are the exceptions to the rule but I am speaking in general terms.

 

We felt Paul's pain too when we started and still experience occassinal growing pains when trying something new or different with the software.  All in all it is significantly better than LDD once you get past the initial learning curve.  There are still some baffling issues like why we can't create a simple closure report based on a legal description.

Contributor
paulhoman
Posts: 11
Registered: ‎12-21-2011
Message 14 of 40 (485 Views)

Re: Civil3D not for the occasional user....

02-21-2012 12:46 PM in reply to: mikehathaway2942

Civil3D was purchased for us by upper management because it is the industry standard.  And despite my complaining, we will manage to learn it.

 

Edited by
Discussion_Admin

New Member
bill
Posts: 1
Registered: ‎04-17-2008
Message 15 of 40 (411 Views)

Re: Civil3D not for the occasional user....

07-16-2012 06:06 PM in reply to: antoniovinci

I agree with you.  You can use it as a design tool to develop a roadway model and determine profiles and sections or a grading plan with good earthwork quantities.

In my opinion, It is a really bad drafting tool. Try getting a portion of a vertical curve in...

 

 

Mentor
lsimms1
Posts: 208
Registered: ‎09-30-2008
Message 16 of 40 (381 Views)

Re: Civil3D not for the occasional user....

07-17-2012 06:27 AM in reply to: bill

I actually like using it as a drafting tool as well as design.

I have my template with the styles set up and ready for just about any job. 

After years of softdesk, ldd, Ep, and microstations it was a difficult transition.  In the past, what you would draw the picture on the screen, and put that information into a database.  Now, you create your database and it gives you the  picture.  Totally different outlook on things.

Contributor
RainierFan
Posts: 17
Registered: ‎10-25-2010
Message 17 of 40 (313 Views)

Re: Civil3D not for the occasional user....

10-31-2012 11:32 AM in reply to: paulhoman

paulhoman wrote:

We are a consulting engineering firm that uses AutoCAD and Civil3D.  However, it is necessary for us to use Civil3D only about 5% of the time in our drafting and design work.  This fact has made it an absolute nightmare implementing Civil3D into our work.  Civil3D is an endless labyrinth of windows, drop down menus, pull down menus, dialogue boxes.  And to add to the confusion, they give you half a dozen ways to access anything.  There are countless settings for everything.  And likewise countless locations for these settings.  Autodesk has taken the manipulation of data and settings to an absurd level.  At best, our experience using Civil3D has been excruciating.  In summary, Civil3D was written for users who use all of it's features on a daily basis.  Since we do not use it's features on a daily basis, we really struggle.   Anybody else having a similar experience?


I agree with everything that you say except "Civil3D was written for users who use all of it's features on a daily basis". I don't know how it was written for. I've been using it extensively for three years and I have concluded it has been financial disaster. I have the unique perspective of being the owner of a civil engineering design firm and a C3D user. In spite of its enormous complexity, it does not come with most of the fundamental subassemblies needed to design a road. It does not come with a basic parts (and sizes) necessary to lay out a simple storm drainage system. I could go on ad infinitum on the subject of deficits that are now obvious to me. On top of that it’s a revenue black hole. It constantly crashes or slows down to where a system cleaning and reboot is necessary.  I probably lose over an hour of production a day on average simplycleaning/rebooting. If I put out a product like this, I would not be in business long. I've been using CAD since 1984 when four seats cost a quarter-million. I know a pig when I see one.  It appears to me that most of those who advocate C3D are either “web celebrities”, trainers, resellers, or C3D book authors, etc. (or have those ambitions).  I would be greatly surprised if a significant number of them remain imtimately connected with the day to day taks of getting drawings out the door.

 

*Expert Elite*
Joe-Bouza
Posts: 5,189
Registered: ‎12-15-2008
Message 18 of 40 (305 Views)

Re: Civil3D not for the occasional user....

10-31-2012 11:48 AM in reply to: RainierFan

<snip> it does not come with most of the fundamental subassemblies needed to design a road. It does not come with a basic parts (and sizes) necessary to lay out a simple storm drainage system. <snip>

 

Sorry to hear about your dis-satisfaction. What is a fundamental assembly? My tool palette has loads of stuff OOTB, Plus when I build one I want to use again I can drag it to the TP. As for the part list I don't fret over model structures being too precise and represent in plan with blocks.

 

I'm not celebrity, author or web guru. Just a schmuck trying to make a living at this and it works for me; I still draft linework the way I did in 1990, but get enough out of the tools to help with the design.

 

Sorry your production is down. I can see how it can happen, but I still would not give up these tools for LDT

Thank you

Joseph D. Bouza, P.E. (one of 'THOSE' People) Civil 3D 2012 & 2013
HP Z210 Workstation
Intel Xeon CPU E31240 @ 3.30 Hz
12 GB Ram


Note: Its all Resistentialism, so keep calm and carry on

64 Bit Win7 OS
Contributor
RainierFan
Posts: 17
Registered: ‎10-25-2010
Message 19 of 40 (295 Views)

Re: Civil3D not for the occasional user....

10-31-2012 12:05 PM in reply to: Joe-Bouza

Joe-Bouza wrote:

<snip> As for the part list I don't fret over model structures being too precise and represent in plan with blocks. <snip> My goals are no longer that lofty...I only want decent cross-sections. 

 

<snip> Sorry your production is down. I can see how it can happen, but I still would not give up these tools for LDT <snip>  LDT was ever an option...but InRoads is looking better by the day.  As a manager of a large Civil Engineering department, I hated InRoads cost and set up time...but hey, at least it worked! (now C3D looks like eaual or double the setup overhead).  Check writers just do not want to see staff spending weeks/months setting up a CAD system or project in CAD before decent drawings get spit out.  Recipe for disaster.  And now that I do my own drawings...my perspective really hasn't changed on that issue.


 

*Expert Elite*
Joe-Bouza
Posts: 5,189
Registered: ‎12-15-2008
Message 20 of 40 (292 Views)

Re: Civil3D not for the occasional user....

10-31-2012 12:08 PM in reply to: RainierFan

Good Luck

Thank you

Joseph D. Bouza, P.E. (one of 'THOSE' People) Civil 3D 2012 & 2013
HP Z210 Workstation
Intel Xeon CPU E31240 @ 3.30 Hz
12 GB Ram


Note: Its all Resistentialism, so keep calm and carry on

64 Bit Win7 OS
Post to the Community

Have questions about Autodesk products? Ask the community.

New Post
Announcements
Do you have 60 seconds to spare? The Autodesk Community Team is revamping our site ranking system and we want your feedback! Please click here to launch the 5 question survey. As always your input is greatly appreciated.