Community
Civil 3D Forum
Welcome to Autodesk’s Civil 3D Forums. Share your knowledge, ask questions, and explore popular AutoCAD Civil 3D topics.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Civil3D BIM Contract language

5 REPLIES 5
Message 1 of 6
kclark138
367 Views, 5 Replies

Civil3D BIM Contract language

I was wondering if any one had some contract language or tips on how to better document the actual 3d model items that should or can be delivered to a client. It seems to me that currently that while navisworks has some great ability to actually use some of the civil model information, Revit is far lacking. So why do I deliver a huge complex surface with some corridors and piping if Revit really only can view some of it and use even less. I know this is a little off subject but think it's a good discussion.

Tags (3)
5 REPLIES 5
Message 2 of 6
Joe-Bouza
in reply to: kclark138

Not to be a stick in the mud, but why on earth would the site feature need to be incorporated into the building model? I don't interact with Arch as much as I used to, but when I did there was always a line around the building that said limit of site work on one side and limit of Arch on the other.

So if these limit exist why bother trying to translate to revit? If the site plans are good, and I'm sure they are everything needed to build the site should be on the plan, no?

Your Name
Did you find this post helpful? Feel free to Like this post.
Did your question get successfully answered? Then click on the ACCEPT SOLUTION button.

EESignature

Message 3 of 6
kclark138
in reply to: Joe-Bouza

I honestly think the architects have gotten too caught up in the BIM idea and want everything in their precious model. I've sat around meetings and half the conversation is about the model. I know some of their contracts talk about delivering to the client a BIM model. It's just not completely possible right now in the technology.

Message 4 of 6
Joe-Bouza

Not only that, but next time your in the meeting please ask: "What is the ultimate purpose of incorporating the site model into the building model?" Perhaps there is a salient point I simply have yet to wrap my mind around.

If the answer is quantity: well they are in the bid documents.

If the answer is conflicts entering the building: "I thought we were coordinating during design.

If the answer is what if we need to make a site adjustment in the field: OK - make the adjustment in the field

If the answer is we want a comprehensive model for our records: Ok here are my files make your model.

I have a saying "just because we have the technology doesn't mean we have to use it"

We sent men to the moon and back using Mylar and Leroy pens. I'm sure we can get a LEED certified building up with out a "Comprehensive Model"

I find it hard to imagine the guy writing the check to all the consultant gives two hoots about the BIM model

Your Name
Did your question get successfully answered? Then click on the ACCEPT SOLUTION button.

EESignature

Message 5 of 6
kclark138
in reply to: Joe-Bouza

I think there is a big difference when you compare inside the building compared to outside. We deal in dirt and survey data that is interpolated between survey points. Their new building is a perfect atmosphere, no ambiguities. 

Message 6 of 6
Joe-Bouza

Correct

Your Name

EESignature

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Rail Community

Autodesk Design & Make Report