Community
Civil 3D Forum
Welcome to Autodesk’s Civil 3D Forums. Share your knowledge, ask questions, and explore popular AutoCAD Civil 3D topics.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Civil3D 2015 have any issues with Civil3D 2012?

2 REPLIES 2
SOLVED
Message 1 of 3
asloat
233 Views, 2 Replies

Civil3D 2015 have any issues with Civil3D 2012?

We are looking at possibly moving out of AutoCAD and Civil3D 2012 and going to 2015. Does anyone know if 2012 drawings have any issues opening and still working in 2015? Also if someone made a drawing in 2015, would it have any problems opening in 2012 or breaking?

2 REPLIES 2
Message 2 of 3
tcorey
in reply to: asloat

Going up from 2012 to 2015 works well. Going back is problematic.

When you have a 2015 drawing, the Civil 3D objects like Alignments, Profiles, Corridors, etc., do not save back to old (2012 and earlier) versions, so the drawing is dumb. Civil 3D 2012 would open a 2015 drawing saved as 2010 version, but the Civil 3D functionality will be disabled.

The bottom line is, going forward is fine, going backward is not.

Tim

Tim Corey
MicroCAD Training and Consulting, Inc.
Redding, CA
Autodesk Gold Reseller

New knowledge is the most valuable commodity on earth. -- Kurt Vonnegut
Message 3 of 3
Jay_B
in reply to: asloat

Civil 3d 2015 is Not backward compatible with Civil 3d 2012 at all.

Once a 2012 dwg is opened & saved using 2015 you're stuck completing the project using 2015.

As far as any issues opening 2012 drawings in 2015, I can't say as I haven't tested that scenario.

Normally when upgrading a few releases expect a few hiccups but usually for the most part things convert forward pretty well.

The issues I've had with upgrading existing projects to a newer version are Data References may need to be reset at times, etc. but in my experience the issues have been minor.

We find having everyone on the same release, (whenever possible) causes the least amount of problems but if your organization is small that might not be as big of a concern.

C3D 2018.1
C3D 2016 SP4

Win 7 Professional 64 Bit

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Rail Community

Autodesk Design & Make Report