Community
Civil 3D Forum
Welcome to Autodesk’s Civil 3D Forums. Share your knowledge, ask questions, and explore popular AutoCAD Civil 3D topics.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Civil3D 2011 - Overwriting/Modifying Control Point

9 REPLIES 9
Message 1 of 10
Anonymous
815 Views, 9 Replies

Civil3D 2011 - Overwriting/Modifying Control Point

FIrst time poster, long time lurker ...

We have been processing/adjusting our field control observations in an outside program (Star-net) and then importing the control into our C3D Database through an import event (PNEZD File). Once the control has been imported we import our field data (.fbk file) through an import event as well. The problem that we are having is once you process a .fbk that uses one of those control points it "locks" the control point, so the next day when we get another field download and the control is re-adjusted, we can't update the control points in the C3D Database.

The only way we have found to get our newly adjust control into the C3D Database is too delete all of the "import events" that use the control point and then import our new control. This is a HUGE hassle.

Any help would be appreciated.

Thanks,

Dan

9 REPLIES 9
Message 2 of 10
Sinc
in reply to: Anonymous

I think the scary part is that your control is being re-adjusted with every daily import...  Smiley Surprised

Your control points shouldn't be floating like that.

Sinc
Message 3 of 10
Anonymous
in reply to: Sinc

So you would take the first observation to a control point as gospel? What if they start a traverse on one day and finish it the next? What if you run a bench level through the control points and want to adjust the elvevations to the new values? These points have to be able to move.

~Dan

Message 4 of 10
rl_jackson

Are you using GPS for Control Points only, and then doing standard cadastral for the rest?

After review of the Star-net software, not even sure that's needed. C3D will do that for Cadastral

Rick Jackson
Survey CAD Technician VI

Did you find this post helpful? Feel free to Like this post.
Did your question get successfully answered? Then click on the ACCEPT SOLUTION button.

EESignature

Message 5 of 10
stacy.dunn
in reply to: rl_jackson

Which version are you using?  In 2011, I have no problem editing control points after importing other data that uses them.

As far as field methods go, I have found that it almost always works out better in the long run to perform all of your control work (horizontal and vertical) first and then shoot topo.  You will have to move around the site multiple times, but there are far fewer problems with data integrity.

Stacy Dunn
Message 6 of 10
Anonymous

If I read what you are doing correctly, the crew is picking up topo as they are running in the control.  If that is the case you do not process the topo until they have all of the control run in and adjusted.  Then import your topo one time from the adjusted points.

Message 7 of 10
Anonymous

@blt

Yeah, it looks like that's what we will have to start doing. Thanks everybody for your input!

~Dan

Message 8 of 10
AllenJessup
in reply to: stacy.dunn

@Anonymous wrote:

As far as field methods go, I have found that it almost always works out better in the long run to perform all of your control work (horizontal and vertical) first and then shoot topo.  You will have to move around the site multiple times, but there are far fewer problems with data integrity.

I know that's a procedural thing and doesn't bear directly on the question about the software. But I agree that the Control work should be settled first. Before importing any Topo.

Allen

Allen Jessup
CAD Manager - Designer
Did you find this post helpful? Feel free to Like this post.
Did your question get successfully answered? Then click on the ACCEPT SOLUTION button.

EESignature

Message 9 of 10
Sinc
in reply to: AllenJessup

I third that motion.

Sinc
Message 10 of 10
Anonymous

I agree with everyone who says that the control should be finalised before topo survey begins (for jobs with more than one network), but I also agree with Dan because in the real world this is not always practical.

For example we have various sites which are part of a larger project to survey over a large area and it is urgent. We only have a total station availiable this week and there is no local control. So we go out and survey each of the sites with an assumed datum. We import the data into Civil3D and process the points and linework. The next week the GPS gear is availiable to bring in control to each site.

We should then be able to add the control point file to the Civil3D database and have the total station networks adjust to it. But when I bring in the control file it strips the point number and gives it a name of the point number with a '0.1' suffix. Instead of an option to overwrite.

We need more options for resolving duplicate points in the survey database.

Cheers

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Rail Community

Autodesk Design & Make Report