Community
Civil 3D Forum
Welcome to Autodesk’s Civil 3D Forums. Share your knowledge, ask questions, and explore popular AutoCAD Civil 3D topics.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Civil dynamic blocks showing in model space - NOT showing in paper space

12 REPLIES 12
SOLVED
Message 1 of 13
julietsketches
3229 Views, 12 Replies

Civil dynamic blocks showing in model space - NOT showing in paper space

I am a landscape architect trying to xref in civil backgrounds. I have noticed twice now from two different civil firms that some of the civil symbols (dynamic blocks) are having visibility issues in paper space. No the viewport layers are not turned off or frozen. No the views weren't placed using the sheet set manager. Yes the blocks are created on layer zero and yes the associated layer is not off or frozen. I don't believe these blocks are annotative blocks. They appear, as expected, perfectly clear in model space. I just toggel over to paper space and "poof" they've disappeared. Any one have this happen to them?

Thanks in advance.

12 REPLIES 12
Message 2 of 13

Oh, and we can't explode the blocks.

Message 3 of 13
Cadguru42
in reply to: julietsketches

Are they Civil 3D labels or are they regular, dynamic blocks?  Are you actually using Civil 3D, also?

Civil 3D labels are not dynamic blocks.  They are their own unique entities and require the same version of C3D to view or the Civil 3D object enabler for your product.

C3D 2022-2024
Windows 10 Pro
32GB RAM
Message 4 of 13

Thanks for your reply. We are not using Civil 3D - we use AutoCAD 2012. The blocks appear to be dynamic blocks. Is there an export process that 3D users must do to share with non-3D users? I am downloading the object enabler.

Message 5 of 13

The object enabler did not solve the problem, unfortunately. I also checked that showing poxy objects was enabled and it is.

Message 6 of 13

Ok. These are ANNOTATIVE civil dynamic blocks. They show up when I change the cannoscale to match the civil units. It does not explain why other dynamic blocks in the same file are unaffected, however (not annotative, I guess). Or why we aren't able to explode them.

Message 7 of 13
mathewkol

Whomever created that block made it not-explodable.  BEDIT to edit the block then look in the properties palette for the explode swich.

edit...

Of course I spelled switch wrong.

Matt Kolberg
SolidCAD Professional Services
http://www.solidcad.ca /
Message 8 of 13
julietsketches
in reply to: mathewkol

Oh that's a good tip. Thanks.

Message 9 of 13

I wouldn't explode them, just add the annotation scale to them that you want.

Lisa Pohlmeyer
Civil 3D User
Website | Facebook | Twitter

Message 10 of 13

Thanks Lisa, I did check that. However, I believe that things are wonky because civil uses decimal units and we are using architectural units. We have to scale the civil background by 12 to work with it in architectural units.

Message 11 of 13

Can you just turn on the toggle to display all annotative objects regardless of scale?
Message 12 of 13

Yes! Thank you! I always forget about that! I wonder why the default setting is to turn annotative objects "off".

Message 13 of 13
mathewkol

That setting doesn't turn them off, it makes it so the "wrong" scales don't show up in the "wrong" viewports. Say you have some text you want to display at 1:00 and no other scale. If you toggle that setting on it will show everywhere.
Matt Kolberg
SolidCAD Professional Services
http://www.solidcad.ca /

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Rail Community

Autodesk Design & Make Report