Community
Civil 3D Forum
Welcome to Autodesk’s Civil 3D Forums. Share your knowledge, ask questions, and explore popular AutoCAD Civil 3D topics.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Civil 3D - Where is the Leadership?

77 REPLIES 77
Message 1 of 78
fcernst
2099 Views, 77 Replies

Civil 3D - Where is the Leadership?

Service Pack 1 makes no mention of addressing the defective QTO routines, the defective Rehab Subassemblies not creating Mill and Level shapes correctly,  nor the defective Daylight subassemblies such as Daylight Standard and Daylight.

We need these working immediately for our Urban Corridor projects. We are required to demonstrate design capability in our proposals and these software defects make that prohibitive. It is extremely frustrating since we have paid for this capability initially, and then continue on subscription.

My reseller is no help. They say they have no influence with Autodesk whatsoever.

It is clear by what is produced, that the Senior Product leadership is not overseeing and effectively managing these Service Pack and Hot Fix updates. This product is in desperate need of attentive and capable Senior Product management.

The Civil 3D Senior Product management is perceived as aloof and out of touch regarding the state of this software, and our immediate User need to have these defects addressed and repaired. 

Fred Ernst, PE
C3D 2024
Ernst Engineering
www.ernstengineering.com
77 REPLIES 77
Message 61 of 78
fcernst
in reply to: Discussion_Admin

I disagree wholeheartedly with this assertion. This assertion seems to come from the Moderator every so often for whatever reason.

We get great and helpful feedback from many, many people on the Civil 3D team. The whole team spectrum really, from first tier Support Staff, on up to Senior Management. 

Fred Ernst, PE
C3D 2024
Ernst Engineering
www.ernstengineering.com
Message 62 of 78
Discussion_Admin
in reply to: fcernst

Sorry if I am repeating myself. Smiley Happy

But the point gets made where there's a topic of concern and the correct representatives are not available to assist. Suggesting that the thread needs a redirection to a better place for that information to be heard.

Please use this link where it will be seen by the team instead

http://usa.autodesk.com/adsk/servlet/index?siteID=123112&id=1109794

Although you do see staff and support is in here aside from the first tier support folks that are here to help none of the others are REQUIRED to be here or read this.

Getting feedback on a subject and jumping into a thread like this are a little different.

I know the team is more than willing to help users out if they happen to be in the community all of the Autodesk staff are.

But this thread is of a different nature and actually against the community rules see #6. No one is trying to stop you're views or Ideas just get them somewhere more appropriate prior to the thread needing moderation as others of this nature have required in the past.

Thanks
Discussion_Admin

Message 63 of 78
Neilw_05

If I may I'd like to express my opinion on this matter. Speaking from my own experience I believe the user forums are  were most users spend their time, not on feedback pages. If the development team is interested in what the users are experiencing they need to watch the forums.

Neil Wilson (a.k.a. neilw)
AEC Collection/C3D 2024, LDT 2004, Power Civil v8i SS1
WIN 10 64 PRO

http://www.sec-landmgt.com
Message 64 of 78
fcernst

Please use this link where it will be seen by the team instead

I have used that Link as instructed to do so before, but I have never received any Feedback from it.

Fred Ernst, PE
C3D 2024
Ernst Engineering
www.ernstengineering.com
Message 65 of 78
Discussion_Admin
in reply to: Neilw_05

Of course you can Neil and as you know there are plans to make this process work better for everyone but it will take while to get the Civil3D IdeaStation up and running with other things that are going on right now in the community.

For those of you wanting to see one in action Inventor has one here.

Thanks
Discussion_Admin

Message 66 of 78
Discussion_Admin

They do see them and it is noted on that page that.

"Due to the amount of feedback we receive, we are unable to respond to all comments and questions. But be assured that we read all e-mail we receive and take what our customers have to say very seriously. We will contact you about your comments only if we need more information."

So my guess is that if your information was detailed enough ( as it usually is) they had no questions.

This is where the IdeaStation (see above) is much superior in many ways.

Just stay tuned.

Discussion_Admin

Message 67 of 78
dsimeone

Hi Folks - Regarding the question over whether we follow newgroup trails for product planning...

We absolutely use information captured on the newsgroup as well as a variety of other interactions to help us make product decisions. We're heavily constrained on sharing any future product information in public forums like this. Clearly this causes frustration as it often comes across as "aloof" (as noted in one of the comments earlier in this trail). The best I can share publicly is that we continue to focus on improving quality whether categorized as defect or feature improvement. How/when depends on a variety of factors.

We also have a number of non-disclosure groups that we use to validate design proposals and proposed workflows as well as to test fixes prior to them being included in service packs, etc. We're always looking for candidates who are interested in engaging in requirement elaboration and constructive review of proposed workflows. You can contact me directly if you're interested.

Thanks

Dave Simeone

Senior Product Manager - AutoCAD Civil 3D

Dave.Simeone

Product Line Manager, Autodesk Infrastructure Products
Message 68 of 78
fcernst
in reply to: dsimeone

...We also have a number of non-disclosure groups that we use to validate design proposals and proposed workflows as well as to test fixes prior to them being included in service packs, etc...

This approach to software testing is definitely not working, hasn't been since I started using C3D.

1) Why is there not in-house quality control?

2) Why do you always turn to your customers to drop everything and troubleshoot the software for you? We can't have our design people doing this. They need to work on our projects. 

2) Why have I received notices from Support regarding some of our defect submissions stating that they are "known issues"?

3) Why after more research I find these "known issues" have been passed on through multiple versions of the software?

4) Why do you not talk about, nor address everyday C3D design issues,  but feel free to talk a lot about implementing Solids? 

It seems your interests lie in Solids and downstream visualization of the models. That is hurting us who are upstream designing and trying to get Plan Sets in Civil 3D out the door.

You have not demonstrated a management ability, through many versions and service pack releases, to get a handle on this important quality control issue. This is a management leadership issue that needs to be addressed.

Fred Ernst, PE
C3D 2024
Ernst Engineering
www.ernstengineering.com
Message 69 of 78
Kevin.Spear
in reply to: Neilw_05

Searching for QTO formulas brought me here. But isn't funny to look back at comments we make?
Thanks
Kevin

Kevin Spear, PE
Message 70 of 78
jeff_rivers
in reply to: Kevin.Spear

I recall when the AutoDesk discussion group had, in addition to the topic-specific discussion boards, a General discussion board for off-topic and non CAD related discussions.  I think that was in the mid to late 90's.  

Jeffrey Rivers
Win 10 Pro 64-bit, Intel i9 3.7GHz, 64 GB
NVIDIA RTX A4000
C3D 2020 V13.2.89.0
Message 71 of 78

@jeff_rivers wrote:

I recall when the AutoDesk discussion group had, in addition to the topic-specific discussion boards, a General discussion board for off-topic and non CAD related discussions.  I think that was in the mid to late 90's.  

We still do just it's a lot more civil than the old one

Thanks
Discussion_Admin

Message 72 of 78
AllenJessup
in reply to: jeff_rivers

Yeah. It was reinvented as the Break Room. The old one was Take5 and was moderated by Ann Brown, famous for here Husky chain saw (for cutting up posts) and her AutoCAD designed quilts.

Allen Jessup
CAD Manager - Designer
Did you find this post helpful? Feel free to Like this post.
Did your question get successfully answered? Then click on the ACCEPT SOLUTION button.

EESignature

Message 73 of 78
rkmcswain
in reply to: jeff_rivers

jeff_rivers wrote:

~sigh~

I miss @Anonymous 

Her first post in this thread is great and shows her occasional restraint with her "post chainsaw"....

R.K. McSwain     | CADpanacea | on twitter
Message 74 of 78

Wow.  Once something is on the internet it really does stay around forever.  

Jeffrey Rivers
Win 10 Pro 64-bit, Intel i9 3.7GHz, 64 GB
NVIDIA RTX A4000
C3D 2020 V13.2.89.0
Message 75 of 78

Message 76 of 78

@Discussion_Admin

Probably. I started with the NNTP groups in the early 1990's. A lot from then till now is starting to blur. Right now I'm thinking I'm about 3.5 years from retirement with 30 years at the current job. But that doesn't mean you'll get rid of me. Smiley Wink

Allen Jessup
CAD Manager - Designer
Did you find this post helpful? Feel free to Like this post.
Did your question get successfully answered? Then click on the ACCEPT SOLUTION button.

EESignature

Message 77 of 78

@AllenJessup wrote:

@Discussion_Admin

Probably. I started with the NNTP groups in the early 1990's. A lot from then till now is starting to blur. Right now I'm thinking I'm about 3.5 years from retirement with 30 years at the current job. But that doesn't mean you'll get rid of me. Smiley Wink

Would hope not Allen Smiley Happy

DA

Message 78 of 78
rkmcswain
in reply to: AllenJessup

AllenJessup wrote:

Probably. I started with the NNTP groups in the early 1990's.

1996 for me, mainly on alt.cad.autocad and comp.cad.autocad.
R.K. McSwain     | CADpanacea | on twitter

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Rail Community

Autodesk Design & Make Report