Community
Civil 3D Forum
Welcome to Autodesk’s Civil 3D Forums. Share your knowledge, ask questions, and explore popular AutoCAD Civil 3D topics.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Civil 3D vs Revit Structure for Cut and Cover Tunnel

4 REPLIES 4
Message 1 of 5
Darren.Zimmerle
1417 Views, 4 Replies

Civil 3D vs Revit Structure for Cut and Cover Tunnel

We are currently designing a Highways project which includes a cut and cover Tunnel (dual 3 lane through goes underneath a signalised at grade junction). Navisworks will be used for clash detection of all disciplines. To clarify the cut and cover structure will be similar to a large box culvert. Although new to the software; the Highways team will be undertaking the Civil Highways design in Civil 3D.

My question is - what is the best Autodesk solution for the structure and associated retaining walls? Note at this stage we are unsure what all of the design components will be (e.g. pump room for drainage etc). Previously the Structures team would have produced a 2D design (however 3D modeling is a requirement).

I have seen on the internet Civil 3D and Revit Structures being used interactively (although it appeared to be incorporating bridges only). Is Civil 3D able to affectively model this structure and retaining walls within the subassembly composer? Or is the question more to do with how the Structures team will complete their design (i.e. reinforcement detailing / scheduling etc). An explanation on when you would use Revit as opposed to Civil 3D would be greatly appreciated.

I can provide further details if required. In case it has any bearing on the answer, we also intend using 3DSmax to undertake visualisations for the project.

4 REPLIES 4
Message 2 of 5
NathanBee
in reply to: Darren.Zimmerle

There are some solutions in this thread, although it is old now and the some links are broken.

http://forums.autodesk.com/t5/AutoCAD-Civil-3D/Tunneling/m-p/2906194/highlight/true#M145374

The spanish PDF look like it can create something nice though.

The subassembly composer can help out a great deal here too. Unfortunately, the tunnel cannot be made out of just on assembly, it has to be done with al least too. One for the roof/ceiling and one for the floor/road.

Good luck!

Message 3 of 5

I have recently performed a cut and cover using a mixture of OTB assemblies (Daylight & Generics) and assemblies created from polylines.

It works very well, but as said previously you need multiple subassemblies. I created the sides, top and bottom separately to assist in design changes as and when they occur.

Mike Evans

Civil3D 2022 English
Windows 7 Professional 64-bit
Intel(R) Core(TM) i7-3820 CPU @ 3.60GHz (8 CPUs), ~4.0GHz With 32768MB RAM, AMD FirePro V4900, Dedicated Memory: 984 MB, Shared Memory: 814 MB

Message 4 of 5
sboon

A few things to consider:

Civil3d is a very good tool for design and modeling linear features like tunnels by using a corridor.  The issue is that the design you create will be perpendicular to the horizontal alignment of the road, and will follow the vertical alignment also.  Can your Structures team deal with designing formwork and rebar to follow horizontal spirals and vertical parabolas?

Wings and retaining walls at the end of a tunnel can be tricky.  They often incorporate odd shapes and corners, and they're not parallel to anything.  A lot of people model them using feature lines and grading objects but you don't get solid objects from that.  It may be worthwhile using C3d to get the position and basic dimensions and then Revit for the detailed design here.

Steve
Please use the Accept as Solution or Kudo buttons when appropriate

Steve
Expert Elite Alumnus
Message 5 of 5
Neilw_05

I'm curious, is this project sponsored by a DOT? If so, do you have the option and ability to use Bentley software? The reason I ask is Bentley's Microstation SS3 and the new OpenRoads technology in their civil products allow you to share the structural and civil models via XREF. There is no need for translation, so the models are always live and current. The structural models can be used as targets for corridor modeling, rendering and clash detection and will also show in cross sections and profiles. The structural model becomes part of the design so you would not need to model the tunnel with the corridor.

I don't have any first hand expereince with the products but I saw a Youtube video showing a Revit model being used in the workflow.

Neil Wilson (a.k.a. neilw)
AEC Collection/C3D 2024, LDT 2004, Power Civil v8i SS1
WIN 10 64 PRO

http://www.sec-landmgt.com

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Rail Community

Autodesk Design & Make Report