Community
Civil 3D Forum
Welcome to Autodesk’s Civil 3D Forums. Share your knowledge, ask questions, and explore popular AutoCAD Civil 3D topics.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Civil 3d/Vault File Structure?

2 REPLIES 2
Message 1 of 3
Anonymous
218 Views, 2 Replies

Civil 3d/Vault File Structure?

I've got a question about the hierarchy file structure of these two combined.

Ok for the example. I've got 5 separate drawings. One for the Surface, One for the Alignments, One for the Profiles, One for Existing Linework, One for Proposed Linework.

So now I want to make a New Construction sheet. This drawing needs stuff from all 5 drawings. The surface, alignments, and profiles are easy enough. The Linework is where my problem is. The way we do New Construction sheets requires us to splice the Existing Linework into the Proposed Linework, to show what's getting put in with the project. To differentiate between Existing and New(say curb and gutter or sidewalk).

I know I can xref in the other drawings but this limits me, in that I can't change the xref, and things overlap. I need a melding of the two drawings.

The other option I know of is to use the Map, attach drawing function. This way I can query in the features I want, they are editable, and I retain my linkability. Problem is there is no way to point to a drawing in Vault in this fashion. That I know of anyway.

With that said, I can point to a working folder location on the server or personal workstation. But this drawing might not always be the current version, forcing a constant "get latest" type of workflow to make sure that the attached drawing is always up to date.

Am I wrong in my way of thinking? Are there any other ways to set up projects in this manner? Will a shared working folder on the server be better than working folders on personal stations? I'm disappointed with this concept of having to point to a shared working folder, as I might as well store the drawings on the server then, without Vault.

Thanks for any input, suggestions.
2 REPLIES 2
Message 2 of 3
Anonymous
in reply to: Anonymous

Concerning your Working folder questions.
We use a Server location for the Working folders with all of the benefits of the server O/S managing permissions and file access. We use Vault to automate Data shortcuts and provide a "live Back up set" Not my dream set up but manageable.

Don't understand the Blend of proposed and existing problem.
Existing topo can be shown as an xref, doesn't really need to be edited.
Message 3 of 3
Anonymous
in reply to: Anonymous

I agree with the xref option, perhaps an xref clip would solve your
issue. You can clip either inside or outside.
--
Lisa Pohlmeyer
DC CADD - Austin, TX
Civil 3D 08
Intel P4 2.0, 2Gb RAM
Nvidia Quadro Fx Go1400 256Mb

CarlD wrote:
> I've got a question about the hierarchy file structure of these two combined.
>
> Ok for the example. I've got 5 separate drawings. One for the Surface, One for the Alignments, One for the Profiles, One for Existing Linework, One for Proposed Linework.
>
> So now I want to make a New Construction sheet. This drawing needs stuff from all 5 drawings. The surface, alignments, and profiles are easy enough. The Linework is where my problem is. The way we do New Construction sheets requires us to splice the Existing Linework into the Proposed Linework, to show what's getting put in with the project. To differentiate between Existing and New(say curb and gutter or sidewalk).
>
> I know I can xref in the other drawings but this limits me, in that I can't change the xref, and things overlap. I need a melding of the two drawings.
>
> The other option I know of is to use the Map, attach drawing function. This way I can query in the features I want, they are editable, and I retain my linkability. Problem is there is no way to point to a drawing in Vault in this fashion. That I know of anyway.
>
> With that said, I can point to a working folder location on the server or personal workstation. But this drawing might not always be the current version, forcing a constant "get latest" type of workflow to make sure that the attached drawing is always up to date.
>
> Am I wrong in my way of thinking? Are there any other ways to set up projects in this manner? Will a shared working folder on the server be better than working folders on personal stations? I'm disappointed with this concept of having to point to a shared working folder, as I might as well store the drawings on the server then, without Vault.
>
> Thanks for any input, suggestions.

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Rail Community

Autodesk Design & Make Report