Community
Civil 3D Forum
Welcome to Autodesk’s Civil 3D Forums. Share your knowledge, ask questions, and explore popular AutoCAD Civil 3D topics.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Civil 3d TIN Comparison

7 REPLIES 7
SOLVED
Message 1 of 8
ajmagnotta
843 Views, 7 Replies

Civil 3d TIN Comparison

I need to determine a limit of rock cut for a land development project.  I have created surfaces for my Existing Grade and Top of Rock.  Is there any way to determine the limit of rock cut within 25 ft of the existing ground, the volume of rock cut, and show the limit of rock cut on my plan view? 

I could drop the Existing Grade elevations by 25 feet, but then how would I create a searate Surface from the intersection of the lowered Existing Grade surface and the Top of Rock Surface?

7 REPLIES 7
Message 2 of 8
Joe-Bouza
in reply to: ajmagnotta

Create a volume surface of eg-25 -vs- rock. the zero contout will be the limit

Thank you

Joseph D. Bouza, P.E. (one of 'THOSE' People)

HP Z210 Workstation
Intel Xeon CPU E31240 @ 3.30 Hz
12 GB Ram

Note: Its all Resistentialism, so keep calm and carry on

64 Bit Win10 OS
Message 3 of 8
Jay_B

Generally speaking, Create a copy of your EG surface Copy Surface using Raise/Lower Surface apply a negative value of -25'.  Tin Volume Surfaces could be created for each of the 2 comparisons.

As long as one of your Surface Tin Boundaries matches the limits you want to show in plan you can extract that boundary as a polyline boundary using "extract objects from surface" command.

This is just one of several ways to get your 2 volumes for

EG_Top of rock

Top of rock_Bottom of rock

C3D 2018.1
C3D 2016 SP4

Win 7 Professional 64 Bit
Message 4 of 8
BrianHailey
in reply to: Jay_B

@Anonymous wrote:

Generally speaking, Create a copy of your EG surface

I disagree. I think it's a much better work flow if you create a new surface and paste the EG surface into it. This way, if the EG surface changes (What? Your EG surface has never changed? Your surveyors have the talent and forsight of God Himself!) the lowered 25' surface will change as well (if it's set to rebuild automatically or after you manually rebuild it). If you copy it, you'll have to change both surfaces.

Copying a surface works, I personally think this is a better workflow.

Brian J. Hailey, P.E.

GEI Consultants
My Civil 3D Blog

Message 5 of 8
tcorey
in reply to: BrianHailey

Very good advice.

Tim Corey
MicroCAD Training and Consulting, Inc.
Redding, CA
Autodesk Gold Reseller

New knowledge is the most valuable commodity on earth. -- Kurt Vonnegut
Message 6 of 8
ajmagnotta
in reply to: BrianHailey

I created the volume surface based off of the comparison of the EG (minus 25') and my Top of Rock, but I can't get the boundary of my limit of rock excavation within 25 ft of existing grade.  The volume surface gives me the boundary of the Base Surface, where I need the boundary of the intersecting triangles.  Is there a way to identify the intersection of the 2 TIN Surfaces?

Thanks.

Message 7 of 8
wfberry

If you have turned on the contours, your "0" contour elevation is where they go from cut to fill. (or vise versa)

Bill

Message 8 of 8
fcernst

Ribbon

Analyze tab Ground Data panel Minimum Distance Between Surface

Command Line:

MinimumDistBetweenSurfaces

Fred Ernst, PE
C3D 2024
Ernst Engineering
www.ernstengineering.com

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Rail Community

Autodesk Design & Make Report