Community
Civil 3D Forum
Welcome to Autodesk’s Civil 3D Forums. Share your knowledge, ask questions, and explore popular AutoCAD Civil 3D topics.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Civil 3D Surface Export to Navisworks Error

11 REPLIES 11
Message 1 of 12
Hasslebonk
4499 Views, 11 Replies

Civil 3D Surface Export to Navisworks Error

Hello

There are 5 or 6 surfaces in the attached dwg. When i export via NWCOUT or open the dwg directly in Navisworks the largest surface is missing. It is on the same layer and has same style as other surfaces that do export correctly.

Has anyone encountered this before and found a solution? I have done a search and come up with nothing.

Thanks in advance.

11 REPLIES 11
Message 2 of 12
tcorey
in reply to: Hasslebonk

You forgot to attach your drawing....

Tim Corey
MicroCAD Training and Consulting, Inc.
Redding, CA
Autodesk Gold Reseller

New knowledge is the most valuable commodity on earth. -- Kurt Vonnegut
Message 3 of 12
Hasslebonk
in reply to: tcorey

Apologies thought I had attached...

Message 4 of 12
tcorey
in reply to: Hasslebonk

Dang, that one surface is stubborn. I tried several things and could not get NavisWorks to read it.

Finally, I assigned a style that shows the tin, extracted the triangles and then created an NWC of those. That worked so you see the surface in NavisWorks, but it's not really a surface, it's four thousand 3d faces.

I don't know why this is happening with this surface. I suggest you create an Autodesk support incident and see if they can tell you what's going on here.

Tim Corey
MicroCAD Training and Consulting, Inc.
Redding, CA
Autodesk Gold Reseller

New knowledge is the most valuable commodity on earth. -- Kurt Vonnegut
Message 5 of 12
Hasslebonk

Tim

Sorry for the delayed response but I have been on leave. Thanks for spending your time having a look for me I appreciate it. Its certainly a strange occurance, I will open a support incident as you recommend and report back any solution. Otherwise i will extract the triangles as a crude workaround.

Thanks again

Message 6 of 12
J_Wheats

****Solution****

I discovered that when someone else logged onto my machine for the first time and started up Civil 3D, they were able to view the surface correctly in Object Viewer and also export to Navisworks via NWCOUT.

I logged back in and tried switching my profile within AutoCAD but still came up with the error.

Therefore i saved all my AutoCAD profiles/settings/pgp files etc and cleared the registry for AutoCAD against my windows profile on this pc. For me this meant deleting R19.0 folder via the steps below.

Start - reg.exe -

HKEY_CUURENT_USER - Software - Autodesk - AutoCAD - R19.0.

Above solution worked for me. Other users in my team have had same problem since Hotfix 3 was installed.

Message 7 of 12
robingriffith
in reply to: J_Wheats

Hello,

I've encountered this problem, but it seemed that when i removed one of the 3d-polylines from the surface, the surface would show in navisworks.

When i added the line to the surface again, than Navisworks couldn't show the surface. So it seems that one of the breaklines from the surface makes it corrupt for Navisworks (in my situation). It's quite an annoying bug, but maybe i'll try the solution that's posted above.

Message 8 of 12
Gerald.Lockard

I'm having the same problem on my machine, what files do i need to delete? Thanks

Message 9 of 12
J_Wheats
in reply to: Gerald.Lockard

Type Reg.exe in the start menu of windows and then navigate to: 

HKEY_CUURENT_USER - Software - Autodesk - AutoCAD - and delete the R19.0 folder

Message 10 of 12
Gerald.Lockard

I tried:

Type Reg.exe in the start menu of windows and then navigate to:

HKEY_CUURENT_USER - Software - Autodesk - AutoCAD - and delete the R19.0 folder

This morning but there is no R19.0 folder, just R20 onwards. Any ideas? Thanks.

Message 11 of 12

Which version of civil 3d are you using?

Civil 3d 2013 is R19.0

Civil 3d 2015 is R20.0

Civil 3d 2016 is R20.1

Civil 3d 2017 is R21.0

Civil 3d 2018 is R22.0

If a post provides a fix for your issue, click on "Accept as Solution" to help other users find solutions to problems they might have that are similar to yours.

Andrew Puller
Maitland, NSW, Australia
Windows 10 Enterprise 64bit
Intel core i7 11800 @ 2.30 GHz with 32GB Ram
Civil 3d 2021
Message 12 of 12

I'm using 2016 and 2017- Should I delete R20.1and R21.0?

I'm assuming if I do delete these files it won't remove the service pack add-ons I have already installed(ie the genio importer in c3d 2016)?

Thanks

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Rail Community

Autodesk Design & Make Report