Community
Civil 3D Forum
Welcome to Autodesk’s Civil 3D Forums. Share your knowledge, ask questions, and explore popular AutoCAD Civil 3D topics.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Civil 3D Pipe Networks to SDF

6 REPLIES 6
Message 1 of 7
matt.schlicker
759 Views, 6 Replies

Civil 3D Pipe Networks to SDF

I'm trying to export my storm pipe network to SDF, but I can't find where to customize which attributes to export.  More importantly, when I use the "Export Civil Objects to SDF" button, the SDF that is generated has fields called "StartInvert" and "StopInvert" for pipes, but they are actually the values for the start and stop pipe centerline elevations.  Is this a bug?  Is there a way to customize the SDF output so that I can get the pipe inverts?

6 REPLIES 6
Message 2 of 7

No there is no way other than VB customisation that I am aware of exporting this data it is hard wired. - No custom contexts etc.

You can manually add this data in map and add a calculation to convert the centreline to the invert / crown.
Mike Evans

Civil3D 2022 English
Windows 7 Professional 64-bit
Intel(R) Core(TM) i7-3820 CPU @ 3.60GHz (8 CPUs), ~4.0GHz With 32768MB RAM, AMD FirePro V4900, Dedicated Memory: 984 MB, Shared Memory: 814 MB

Message 3 of 7

Just experienced the same issue C3D 2019.
I'm thinking if I can't resolve it... maybe trying to trick C3D by using 0.2mm dia pipe in place of a 200mm pipe.  then the CL, INVERT and Obvert would all be the same-ish elevation.  Swapping parts to get this to export is still a major PITA .

Message 4 of 7

Hi @matthew.hardingAJE6Y ,

First of all, lacks of simple selection of export data I treat as one of serious problems in Civil 3D. It is not only for SDF, the same is for IFC, NWC, ...

I would like to know why you export your pipe network to SDF? Is it maybe because of SHP file at the end?

If yes, think that I have a way to model any kind of data which are available in SHP (given from civil 3D).

It is bit complex (at least my way is not so simple), but you can do it in 5-10 min (no matter how big is network).

Regards,

Drazen

Message 5 of 7

Hi @matthew.hardingAJE6Y 

Think that I found alternate, much more simple way to solve your problem.

Just to explain I found two basically different ways how to solve the problem.

1. When SDF (with wrong or incomplete data) is exported from C3D, I inserted it with MapImport function and then export it to SHP. SHP is basically consisted of several files and data are saved in DBF format. This is old format, which cannot be easily edited, but there are some applications which can do it. From C3D I copy the panorama view of all the pipes to Excel. Then with the several actions I merge some values from DBF (originally created with SHP export) with the Excel from panorama view. MS Access can import DBF and XLS file and also export it (i.e. Excel can read DBF but cannot write it). When I imported SHP with modified dBF file everything is OK, I have correct values. You can merge any number of additional data from civil 3D.

2. Another way is much more simple and maybe can give you solution for your problem (wrong inverts). When you import SDF (with FDO technology - means just drag and drop to Civil / Map), you can add calculation data as additional columns. So, because you have your invert which indicated center of pipe, it is necessary just to subtract invert value with the half of inside diameter. You can add two additional columns (for start and end), save SDF file to new SDF and from now on you will have two additional columns which shows right values of inverts.

I can explain any of workflows in more details if it can solve your problem.

Regards,

Drazen

If that answer is solution of your problem please press Accept as solution button

Message 6 of 7

Thank you for your response Drazen, 

I am after the *.shp file as the next step in my process.  I was following along with the article on "imaginit civil solutions blog" (https://blogs.rand.com/civil/2019/05/exporting-civil-3d-pipe-networks-to-esri-shapefiles.html).  The simplified FDO solution sounds nice, but I'm open to anything that works.   

Message 7 of 7

Hi @matthew.hardingAJE6Y ,

Quickly passed the link. Basically it is the same what I investigated.

As I said there are two possible ways:

1. To add two columns in your data table view when SDF is imported, which will correct pipe inverts values (by subtracting existing pipe inverts and half of internal diameter)

2. To edit SHP data (DBF file) and add or erase any column. It is bit more complex workflow, but not so hard. Include work with Excel and Access (on basic level)

What do you prefer. Maybe you can explain me what is real target. To have SHP file?

Regards,

Drazen

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Rail Community

Autodesk Design & Make Report