Community
Civil 3D Forum
Welcome to Autodesk’s Civil 3D Forums. Share your knowledge, ask questions, and explore popular AutoCAD Civil 3D topics.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

civil 3d pipe and structure networks

1 REPLY 1
Message 1 of 2
andy-parkes
1022 Views, 1 Reply

civil 3d pipe and structure networks

I am looking into the possibility of using civil 3d to generate a 3d utility model. The model will cover several different networks such as drainage, water supply and electrical ducting.
My question (s) is this, Does anyone know the best way to deal with clashes between say a cable duct and a drainage pipe. Obviously the cable duct will need to be shown curving up and over the top of the pipe and then returning to its previous level. I have seen the pipe and structure section of 3d civil in use but it appears to only provide straight pipe lengths between chambers.

Is there a command or feature for inserting an arc into the pipe / duct to a given radius.

is it possible to alter a pipe element of the model once it is in place.

Also with regard to pipe and structure libraries, i am aware of country kits but how easy is it and what is the procedure for adding your own manhole and chamber details into the pull down list in pipe and structures?

I realise that this may not be the correct software package to use for modelling cable ducting but i do not want to ask the boss to buy 2 or more new software packages to do one project.

any ideas or clarification would be much appreciated.

many thanks Edited by: andy-parkes on Jan 14, 2009 11:52 PM
1 REPLY 1
Message 2 of 2
mspatz
in reply to: andy-parkes

1. With pipe networks you can curve pipes horizontally but NOT vertically. A work around is to add multiple pipe segments in the area you need to curve vertically and make the adjustments in the Profile View.

Another (maybe smarter) way to model this is using a Corridor Model. A demonstration on this workflow is available at: http://au.autodesk.com/?nd=class&session_id=2921. [You need to have an AU account and be on subscription to watch the videos.]

2. Yes, you can modify the network all you want once placed.

3. How easy is adding PARTS with different sizes.... it depends:

• To add additional parts with some different sizes, sizes that are already programmed in to the part is very easy.

• Adding custom sizes to parts, say for example custom dimensions that are not already available in the parts parameter list, is a moderate to advanced task. You need to learn how Parts Builder works and just go in and add sizes to the parameters list. Pretty easy once you understand Parts Builder but there is some investment in time to learn how Parts Builder works. See the attached documentation for Parts Builder.

• To create parts in Parts Builder is definitely an ADVANCED task. You need to FULLY understand Parts Builder and all it eccentricities. You also need to understand how Parts Builder works with Civil 3D. This would be a major investment of your time. It would need to be your mission. It seems folks are getting into that arena more and more now-a-days.

Edited by: mspatz@hrg-inc.com on Jan 15, 2009 7:47 AM

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Rail Community

Autodesk Design & Make Report