Community
Civil 3D Forum
Welcome to Autodesk’s Civil 3D Forums. Share your knowledge, ask questions, and explore popular AutoCAD Civil 3D topics.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Civil 3D PC spec

7 REPLIES 7
Message 1 of 8
wilsonm2000
328 Views, 7 Replies

Civil 3D PC spec

Hi

I have just joined a new company, and using Civil 3D 2014.  Doing anything is very slow, which really is not right, as its a good spec PC, better than my old employers, and theirs ran a lot faster.  I am not sure about graphics cards, can someone have a look at the screenshot below and tell me if anything jumps out that looks like it could be causing an issue.  It may be a network issue, but even when I save to my C: drive its having speed issues.

Thanks in advanceSpec.PNG

7 REPLIES 7
Message 2 of 8
Pointdump
in reply to: wilsonm2000

Big Maz,

When you say "slow", how slow are we talking? Have you tried opening a fresh, new, OOTB (Out of the box, not company) template drawing and checking the speed of things?

Dave

Dave Stoll
Las Vegas, Nevada

EESignature

64GB DDR4 2400MHz ECC SoDIMM / 1TB SSD
NVIDIA Quadro P5000 16GB
Windows 10 Pro 64 / Civil 3D 2024
Message 3 of 8
wilsonm2000
in reply to: Pointdump

Yep, tried that, the first thing I done was copying contours from one drawing to another, there are a lot of polylines, but the process still took far longer than it should have. Creating surfaces is also very slow
Message 4 of 8

Are the files local or on a network drive?

Mike Robertson
FL. Dept. of Transportation
CADD Applications Developer
Message 5 of 8

Network
Message 6 of 8

That could be your problem, how does C3D react if you copy the files local? (just as a test). The fastest PC in the work is not going to help if your network is slow.

Mike Robertson
FL. Dept. of Transportation
CADD Applications Developer
Message 7 of 8

As mentioned on my original post, I have tried from the C: drive also
Message 8 of 8
DMFACER
in reply to: wilsonm2000

There are so many things and combinations of things that could make Civil 3D run slow.  We've unconvered some of them, but I would bet there are more out there that we haven't even figured out.

Here is a list of what we check when C3D is running slow:

Drawing Variables

In the drawing or template file:

• PROXYGRAPHICS variable set to Zero
  • VIEWRES variable set to 200
  • We found having a missing CAD Standards file attached in the CONFIGURE dialog box caused severe slow down issues, too

System Variables

Video card settings:

• Test running Civil 3D with Hardware Acceleration turned on and off
  • Turn off Dynamic Tessellation in the 3DCONFIG dialog box
  • Turn off Adaptive Degradation in the 3DCONFIG dialog box

Properties Palette

• Change PROPOBJLIMIT to the maximum setting of 32767

These are the primary things we check when we see an issue with Civil 3D running slow.  It's important to understand the effect of changing these settings before you change them, so I would suggest checking out the Help file if you're not familiar with the effects of changing any of these variables.

Hope some of this can help you narrow down the issue you're having.

"The most dangerous phrase in the language is 'We've always done it this way.'" - Rear Admiral Grace Hopper

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Rail Community

Autodesk Design & Make Report