Community
Civil 3D Forum
Welcome to Autodesk’s Civil 3D Forums. Share your knowledge, ask questions, and explore popular AutoCAD Civil 3D topics.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Civil 3D output to IFC/COBie UK

8 REPLIES 8
Message 1 of 9
Anonymous
1547 Views, 8 Replies

Civil 3D output to IFC/COBie UK

Dear all,

How successful is Civil 3D at exporting to IFC? What advancements have been made in its ability to export to COBie UK format?

I'm trying to further my knowledge in to BIM in civil engineering, but despite reading numerous articles and giving it a go on the software, i can't find any detailed examples or 'how to' documents that show exporting Civil 3D models in to IFCs/COBie. Sorry if the question is vague!

For example, when I create an assembly for a new length of road with subassemblies for specific kerbs, verge gradients, pavement sub base depth etc and subsequent surface model, is there an application/ability to export this straight in to IFC or COBie format? Or do we have to open the civils model in Revit and export to IFC from there? Furthermore, with regards to COBie, will this export accurately list the specific kerbs, pavement base depths as initially intended, or do we need to additonally modify it from afterwards

Thanks,

Niall

8 REPLIES 8
Message 2 of 9
Alfred.NESWADBA
in reply to: Anonymous

Hi,

>> when I create an assembly for a new length of road with subassemblies for specific kerbs,

>> verge gradients, pavement sub base depth etc and subsequent surface model, is there an

>> application/ability to export this straight in to IFC or COBie format?

I don't know the "COBie" format, but IFC (>>>details<<<) is for data-exchange of buildings, nothing can be transferred like subassemblies, gradients, pavementsm ... IFC does not know such objects (can not describe such objects in it's format).

- alfred -

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Alfred NESWADBA
Ingenieur Studio HOLLAUS ... www.hollaus.at ... blog.hollaus.at ... CDay 2024
------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
(not an Autodesk consultant)
Message 3 of 9
neilyj666

Civil 3D has a very long way to go to get anywhere near the BIM workflows that architects enjoy with programs like Revit....

neilyj (No connection with Autodesk other than using the products in the real world)
Did you find this post helpful? Feel free to Like this post.
Did your question get successfully answered? Then click on the ACCEPT SOLUTION button.

EESignature

AEC Collection 2024 UKIE (mainly Civil 3D UKIE and IW)
Win 11 Pro x64, 1Tb Primary SSD, 1Tb Secondary SSD
64Gb RAM Intel(R) Xeon(R) W-11855M CPU @ 3.2GHz
NVIDIA RTX A5000 16Gb, Dual 27" Monitor, Dell Inspiron 7760
Message 4 of 9
Anonymous
in reply to: neilyj666

Thank you Alfred and Neilyj,
Why is it that the same attention hasn't been given to civils software like Civil 3D, as has been given to 'building' software like Revit, in terms of BIM data flows? Sorry again for the general question.

From what I can understand, 3D building and surface models can be created in Revit and Civil 3D respectively, and can be opened in Navisworks and viewed in relation to one another to aid project management and clash detection... Furthermore, Navisworks and Revit have the ability to read IFCs, but Civil 3D can not. Revit can export to IFC, but civil 3D and Navisworks can not. Is this an accurate summary or have I missed a step here?

Your comments are much appreciated.
Niall
Message 5 of 9
Alfred.NESWADBA

Hi,

>> Why is it that the same attention hasn't been given to civils software like Civil 3D, as has been given to 'building' software like Revit,

IFC is nothing that Autodesk creates or develops. And as long as the IFC structure does not support surfaces, roads, details for all that Autodesk has no chance to export anything in an format that does not support such object types.

I know that does not give you the answer you like to hear, but in this case it's really not Autodesk who ignores anything, first the IFC has to be extended then it might be possible to export Civil specific objects.

- alfred -

Alfred NESWADBA
Ingenieur Studio HOLLAUS ... www.hollaus.at ... blog.hollaus.at ... CDay 2024
(not an Autodesk consultant)
Message 6 of 9

I am also dealing with CIVIL 3D and an IFC export. Hoping to get extended data that is formatted for COBie,  ex. COBie Type Name = MH . COBie Type Description=Manhole.

Has anyone found a plugin?

Message 7 of 9
MikeEvansUK

This is all possible through different methods.

The first issue is locating the correct COBie code for the items.

Now decide how to populate the data.

Remeber, the only way to pass the information via IFC is using the Property set, you can set these up with ease but you do not want to enter the code manually for each instance, that would be a real pain and you need a way to distinguish each object or sub object.

For Assemblies you can set up a Code for this and add it, then use PS to work out and assign the cobie code.

For Drainage elements, you can add a new context to the system for the Cobie codes then add the value manually into the part list for each part.

This is easy with new files but needs a workaround with existing models. PExplorer would help to swap the parts from the catalog or search for the export pipe network to excel Vb example application which allows you to amend in excel and post back.

Alignments, features and other elements would probably need a manual entry but not even sure you'd be adding this information in any case.

Surfaces are exportable via IFC but only as generic mass, to export you must be in a 3d view with the faces visible otherwise there are no 3d faces to export. Property set data would be included if attached.

Mike

Mike Evans

Civil3D 2022 English
Windows 7 Professional 64-bit
Intel(R) Core(TM) i7-3820 CPU @ 3.60GHz (8 CPUs), ~4.0GHz With 32768MB RAM, AMD FirePro V4900, Dedicated Memory: 984 MB, Shared Memory: 814 MB

Message 8 of 9
stevenwilliams.ext

Mike, 

Your help is much appreciated. 

When you mentioned the correct COBie code, I am visualizing that you are referring to the COBie Parameter Naming convention used to describe Types and Components and seen in extended data when a 3D object is selected.

I have attached a C3D screen capture of an element selected and the extended data visible plus a quick property definition of the selected object.

In the Resource Assignment I do not see how this is possible?

Any direction is much appreciated.

Message 9 of 9

As far as I can see, when you export a Civil3d entity in 3d all that is exported is the 3d solids.

You can see the list of supported entities in IFC Settings, everything listed is from a building perspective, the only items applicable to us will be alignments and 3dSolids. This is noted when you export Labels with masks as these come across as 3d solid faces.

This is as the IFC guys are not so interested in Civils stuff as we reside external to the building but they are starting to add things in as BIM becomes more prevalent.

So when exporting (Structures, pipes, surfaces) all I ever get is a BuildingElementProxy which is converted to a generic mass in Revit.

This depends what software you will import the IFC to but if Revit it will not know what the object is, it will import the 3d shape and attach the properties from the property set data which when coordinating this is all we want / need for coordination.

Hopefully this makes sense.

Mike

Mike Evans

Civil3D 2022 English
Windows 7 Professional 64-bit
Intel(R) Core(TM) i7-3820 CPU @ 3.60GHz (8 CPUs), ~4.0GHz With 32768MB RAM, AMD FirePro V4900, Dedicated Memory: 984 MB, Shared Memory: 814 MB

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Rail Community

Autodesk Design & Make Report