Community
Civil 3D Forum
Welcome to Autodesk’s Civil 3D Forums. Share your knowledge, ask questions, and explore popular AutoCAD Civil 3D topics.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Civil 3D is 10+ yrs old, Why are 2014's surfaces so childish with their display?

5 REPLIES 5
Message 1 of 6
CADvisers
656 Views, 5 Replies

Civil 3D is 10+ yrs old, Why are 2014's surfaces so childish with their display?

Aren't Surfaces the foundation of Civil 3D's "3D" functionality of being efficient?

2014's Surface Display needs to be fixed ASAP!

This is very frustrating for all users that have recently upgraded from 2012 or 2013 and all their surface analysis drawings that have been setup with prior releases, (ie. Slope Maps, Volume Maps, Feasibility Maps, etc...)  ARE NOW USELESS!!!!!

Why are they useless?

....  Because the graphical analysis display cannot not be set to mimic how all prior releases have shown.

I know others have posted these complaints and reponses have been made from autodesk of "as designed",  "We're discussing it."  "Will get this resolved soon."

Whenever you open a drawing up in a new release of Civil 3D, they should appear exactly like they did when you last closed the drawing in a prior release.  If they do not appear to be just like the prior release than the problem is equal to if not greater than a FATAL ERROR!  

There is no excuse for this not to be fixed by now.  This has been reported by so many since the 2014 release date.   There's no excuse, because there is no NEW programming that needs to be done.  It's a hot fix replacing a few files.  And if that's not the case becuase of new spectacular surface features, then remove the new spectacular surface features and get it back to actually working.

Autodesk,

I'm not posting this to attack the Civil 3D team, I'm posting this so that the product that you're selling to existing customers is worth what they're paying for, and what they've been paying for, for many years.   Quality assuranace on every new release is not up to par.  Too much testing time is involved with new "cool" features, when more time and care has to be taken on the foundations of the software.   Surfaces being the number #1.    Surfaces are why Autodesk has been able to win new customers from others using competitive software.  This should be a "huge" reason to update this with a HOT FIX along with another apology of inconvienence that happens to always be thrown in the mix.  

Becuase that's exactly how everyone else gets forgived, ...It's like buying a car, but you find out that it only goes in reverse only after you get the keys.

Car Salesperson:  "Ooops, I'm sorry for the inconvienence, but will fix that for you, but we don't have any appointments available for a few months to get that fixed.  So you'll just have to work around that problem and use your mirrors to go in reverse, but lookie hear! ... your rearview mirror does give you the accurate outside temperature. Isn't that cool!!!  🙂 "

Jonathan Stewart
CADvisers
P.O. Box 7811
Lancaster, PA 17604
Ph. 717-468-3111

5 REPLIES 5
Message 2 of 6
neilyj666
in reply to: CADvisers

Was this not addressed by the recently released Hotfix 1?

See post 1 http://forums.autodesk.com/t5/AutoCAD-Civil-3D/CIvil-3D-2014-Hotfix-1-posted/td-p/4318368

Surface displays seem to be working as expected on my machine now..!!!!

neilyj (No connection with Autodesk other than using the products in the real world)
Did you find this post helpful? Feel free to Like this post.
Did your question get successfully answered? Then click on the ACCEPT SOLUTION button.

EESignature

AEC Collection 2024 UKIE (mainly Civil 3D UKIE and IW)
Win 11 Pro x64, 1Tb Primary SSD, 1Tb Secondary SSD
64Gb RAM Intel(R) Xeon(R) W-11855M CPU @ 3.2GHz
NVIDIA RTX A5000 16Gb, Dual 27" Monitor, Dell Inspiron 7760
Message 3 of 6
CADvisers
in reply to: neilyj666

neilyj,

Change your surface style to have Elevations display mode to "Flatten Elevations".

Let me know your results.

Thanks,

Jonathan Stewart
CADvisers
P.O. Box 7811
Lancaster, PA 17604
Ph. 717-468-3111

Message 4 of 6
neilyj666

I've never seen the point of this option and never use it - can you enlighten me as to practical uses for it?

neilyj (No connection with Autodesk other than using the products in the real world)
Did your question get successfully answered? Then click on the ACCEPT SOLUTION button.

EESignature

Message 5 of 6
CADvisers
in reply to: neilyj666

I'm not sure I have a good "practical" answer for you.

But it's how some of my clients surface styles are set up.  So the point of a change in display from one version to the other creates more work for users that thought they already had a finished product.

Jonathan Stewart
CADvisers
P.O. Box 7811
Lancaster, PA 17604
Ph. 717-468-3111

Message 6 of 6
neilyj666

I'd agree that the surface rebuild change was a major mistake on Autodesk's part but apparently it was "...a response to user's requests...".

If there is a still an issue after supposedly being fixed in HF1 then I'd suggest you log a support request

EESignature

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Rail Community

Autodesk Design & Make Report