AutoCAD Civil 3D General Discussion

AutoCAD Civil 3D General Discussion

Distinguished Contributor
ksorsby
Message 41 of 60 (421 Views)

Re: Civil 3D for Mac

01-02-2013 02:12 AM in reply to: AllenJessup

AllenJessup wrote:
I don't know if it's a "reluctance" but rather a decision to dedicate resources to other tasks. Like coming up with the next change to the GUI.

Maybe keep the GUI the same for a bit and dedicate those resources to sorting out basic bugs and adding more basic functions.

Just sayin'... ;o)

Kevin

*Expert Elite*
AllenJessup
Message 42 of 60 (404 Views)

01-02-2013 08:08 AM in reply to: ksorsby

ksorsby wrote:

AllenJessup wrote:
I don't know if it's a "reluctance" but rather a decision to dedicate resources to other tasks. Like coming up with the next change to the GUI. 

Maybe keep the GUI the same for a bit and dedicate those resources to sorting out basic bugs and adding more basic functions.

Just sayin'... ;o)

Kevin

Sorry. I didn't have a tongue-in-cheek icon to append to my post. Maybe the :smileysurprised: or the :smileywink: would have done. I was being a little sarcastic with that remark and totally agree that the resources should be directed to internal improvements and not the next-best GUI.

Although there is probably a dedicated GUI team so they have to keep busy.

Aldanmark01
Message 43 of 60 (365 Views)

01-15-2013 06:07 PM in reply to: neilyj
Glad I started the conversation a few years back. We ended up with windows 7 and have 20 staff in a civil engineering firm. I would go mac if there was support for civil 3D as this is only one tool that we use and the cloud technology is good for us. Don't like apple as a company but their technology is always in front of the others The old desktop way of working is dead and since I started this discussion the world has rotated many times and I suspect will do so again before our next upgrades. I would support a Mac version of it came out but as has been pointed out, it's highly unlikely. Mark Gardner
Valued Contributor
RickGraham
Message 44 of 60 (365 Views)

01-15-2013 06:07 PM in reply to: rkmcswain
Ahh, but there's the rub. Some 'fixes' are called new features. Look at LDT and then subsequent Civil 3D releases. Some of the enhancements or features were actually things that LDT had and were not included in the original C3D release. Rick Graham Sent from my iPad Mini. Pardon any mis-spells or anything I may have fat-fingered.
Rick

cburns
Message 45 of 60 (259 Views)

03-20-2013 07:21 AM in reply to: Aldanmark01

"Not trying to argue or justfy anything here. At $200 an hour with 8 designers a network issue costs me so much that I want/need/prefer the reliability I get from my mac stuff. I'm sure there are other out there the same. Stand alone with a few crashes might be fine. I'm talking a commercial design business where given the option I'd take it tomorrow. Appreciate Peter said they are not looking at it. I'm just saying open your eyes, there has to be more people like me around. Minority, possibly but the numbers are and will grow, and I'd say rapidly."

You clearly are a forward thinker. I agree 100% - I have contacted autodesk asking (a while ago) 'when' not 'if' they will make C3D available for OSX.

even Win7 is garbage. From Win2000 to Win8 use the same Kernel. Im no programmer but have done a bit of it (took courses in dos at one point) and from my experience the linux code is far more thought out then Windows ever was. (OSX is based on Linux since OSX10) Linux, from what I understand was originally a mainframe type kernal - hence alot of bugs and fore thought when into this code - windows not so much. I really believe in the next 5 yrs.we will see either Windows completely re-write its code (possibly adopt linux - if they are smart) or completly loose market majority for Win OS - the office suite will prolly become their only real money maker.

I have built several 'hackintosh's (PC running OSX) and owned several macs and PC's in the last 13 yrs - the OSX even running on a PC (hackintosh) is far more stable and usable then Windows.

The Linux code is far suprior to Windows code and much more secure. However alot of IT people will be out of work if every one switched to a linux based OS.

my 2 cents

Valued Mentor
TerryDotson
Message 46 of 60 (242 Views)

03-20-2013 10:13 AM in reply to: scott

Take a look at this OS Desktop Market Share pie chart and see if it makes economic sense to produce a Mac version?

cburns
Message 47 of 60 (233 Views)

03-20-2013 11:20 AM in reply to: TerryDotson

so correct me if Im wrong but isnt autodesk already making alot of software to run on mac now?

http://usa.autodesk.com/products/mac-compatible-products

thanks for the link - yes I agree windows is currently market share.

I cannot convince an employer to move to mac unless the software is already there.

so I dont think the current market share is relavent. Good buisness models should look at the future. Its been my experience with both OSX and Windows that OSX is far more stable in every circumstance.

but lets not squable.... I think the real answer is for autodesk take a survey of users/employers to see if there is an interest in Civil 3d for OSX.    can we make this happen?

*Expert Elite*
jmayo
Message 48 of 60 (217 Views)

03-20-2013 11:48 AM in reply to: cburns

The market share is relevant because it completes your survey. I know my company doesn't want to spend 3 or 4 times more than we have to for a bit more stability. It's been working good enough on Win platforms for us for years. Not perfect but definitely profitable.

John Mayo, PE
IDSP 2014
Win 7 64, Xeon ES165@3.2Ghz,
64 GB RAM, Quadro K4000 (x2)
cburns
Message 49 of 60 (208 Views)

03-20-2013 12:14 PM in reply to: jmayo

how does the market share complete the survey?

again I cant convince an employer to purchase a mac if the software we use isnt available. Hence the survey. It would make no sense for everyone to purchase A mac for C3d and then ask autodesk to port it to OSX.

My company has purchased (like most companies) Dells. In a particular case this was a brand new computer purchased in early 2012. the Xeon processor in it came out in late 2009!. The cost was around 2K. A mac with the same specs (with less ram though) is $500 more. However it comes with the latest xeon processor and when its at its EOL (usually 3 yrs for most companies) you can sell it for nearly half the purchase price. I am not agreeing at all with the profitable comment you made - look at the long run.

check out this artical - I have personally expeirienced 10 of these points first hand personally.

And again I use both and have for nearly 10 yrs.

http://www.andrewbrettwatson.com/index.php/mac/70-apples-to-apples-macs-are-cheaper-than-windows-pcs

cburns
Message 50 of 60 (205 Views)

03-20-2013 12:16 PM in reply to: cburns

actually forget OSX ......  just linux in general - -  you want to talk about cost effective - there you go

Post to the Community

Have questions about Autodesk products? Ask the community.

New Post
Need installation help?

Start with some of our most frequented solutions or visit the Installation and Licensing Forum to get help installing your software.