AutoCAD Civil 3D General Discussion

AutoCAD Civil 3D General Discussion

emandeno
Message 1 of 1 (566 Views)

Civil 3D crashes when importing surface points

566 Views, 0 Replies
03-14-2012 02:18 PM

Hello,

I briefly searched about importing .LAS files, but didn't see any threads that spoke to importing the data crashing their system. However, I then just realized, I'm not importing the .LAS files from .XYZ files converted from the .LAS files.

Anyway, here's the deal:

I just upgraded to Civil 3D from LT. Huge jump, I know. I'll be taking a training course later this month, but in the meantime, I thought it would be cool to import all our LiDAR data for one of our projects. The point clouds are pretty dense, but not that dense. I have 31 files representing 31 tiles that range from 630MB to 1MB (funky shaped boundary).

I tried importing the data using the guidelines outlined in the little tutorial that comes up when you first start Civil 3D (called Create a Surface). It shows how to define a surface (which I do), and then how to populate the surface with points from a point file (which I also do after converting the .LAS file to .XYZ).

All works well on one tile small tile, but when I try to do more, it crashes.

I'm running Civil 3D on a Dell Precision T5500 with an Intel Xeon CPU running at 2.4 GHZ with 12GB of RAM with Windows 7 (64-bit).

Any ideas what I'm doing wrong?

Thanks in advance to any clues.

Post to the Community

Have questions about Autodesk products? Ask the community.

New Post
Announcements
Do you have 60 seconds to spare? The Autodesk Community Team is revamping our site ranking system and we want your feedback! Please click here to launch the 5 question survey. As always your input is greatly appreciated.