Community
Civil 3D Forum
Welcome to Autodesk’s Civil 3D Forums. Share your knowledge, ask questions, and explore popular AutoCAD Civil 3D topics.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Civil 3D crashes when I try to set CANNOSCALE by various methods...

25 REPLIES 25
Message 1 of 26
Anonymous
2097 Views, 25 Replies

Civil 3D crashes when I try to set CANNOSCALE by various methods...

Not all drawings present this difficulty, but the ones that do must be passed to another person to set the annotation scale.  I am using Civil 3D, 2010.  In these drawings, I can try to use the scale popup at the buttom of the editor window either in paper space or model. A Fatal Error is returned. To change the paper space viewport scale, I have to use the zoom XP command to keep from crashing but the annotation scale is another thing.  I have not found a work around.  I have tried to set the CANNOSCALE variable and I have tried to set it through a lisp script.  The drawing does not Error out by setting this variable, but does not actually change the properties of the viewport either.  My default setting for ANNOAUTOSCALE is -4 for what it is worth.  If there is a solution out there, I sure would like to hear about it.  Thanks.

Tags (1)
25 REPLIES 25
Message 2 of 26
hgohel
in reply to: Anonymous

Have you installed Update 3.1 for C3D 2010?  Not sure if that will resolve the problem, but it is the last update issued for that version.

Himanshu Gohel
Autodesk, Inc.
Message 3 of 26
gccdaemon

Don't Update...UPGRADE....lol. No problems with this in newer versions. Also try purging regapps and run an audit.

Andrew Ingram
Civil 3D x64 2019
Win 10 x64 Pro
Intel Xeon E5-1620
32 GB Ram
Message 4 of 26
Anonymous

All up to date.  Thanks.  I will try the next reply.  Unfortunately, we are not slated to upgrade until the end of the summer.

Message 5 of 26
Anonymous
in reply to: gccdaemon

Thanks gccdaemon.  I purged regapps and performed a general purge and audit and the problem persisted.  If you have any other ideas, I would love to hear them.  This is a frustrating a problem as Ive encountered for many years.
Message 6 of 26
4Runner

Autodesk where are you? this is still happening in Civil 3d 2014!!!! unbelievable!

Message 7 of 26
gccdaemon

Did you load customizations from a previous version? What are your computer specs?

Andrew Ingram
Civil 3D x64 2019
Win 10 x64 Pro
Intel Xeon E5-1620
32 GB Ram
Message 8 of 26
4Runner

Thanks for your quick reply Andrew.

No customizations loaded. I find that's just a waste of time. More issues than good.

Here are my Specs:

Windows 7 Ultimate 64-bit - Service pack 1

AMD Phenom II 6 Core 1045T Processor 2.7Ghz

Asus M4A785T-M Motherboard

Nvidia Geforce GTS 450 GPU (1GB)

Kingston 16 GB DDR3 1333 Mhz

OCZ Vertex 3 240 GB SSD

500W PSU

Message 9 of 26
gccdaemon
in reply to: 4Runner

Well the system variable is stored in the DWG file and not in the registry. I would assume that it has to do with two possible issues. It could be a corrupted drawing file (or template) and would be valid for the same problem reappearing. The other possibility is that it could be a problem with the command & it's programming. It's unlikely that it's the programming unless you're running firewall or internet/malware software during install, or were installing other programs at the same time. If it's the latter, you'll have to reinstall. If it's the first part, it could get more difficult. Hopefully this helps.

Andrew Ingram
Civil 3D x64 2019
Win 10 x64 Pro
Intel Xeon E5-1620
32 GB Ram
Message 10 of 26
4Runner

I did have firewall and antivirus running during my install. I'll try Re-installing. Thanks.

Message 11 of 26
tcorey

I don't see your video card listed on Autodesk Certified Graphics database.

Tim Corey
MicroCAD Training and Consulting, Inc.
Redding, CA
Autodesk Gold Reseller

New knowledge is the most valuable commodity on earth. -- Kurt Vonnegut
Message 12 of 26
4Runner
in reply to: tcorey

It isn't. I purchased a Video card last year specially designed for auto-cad and it didn't work nearly as good as my 450 so I stayed with the 450.

What card would you suggest as a minimum for Civil 3d 2014? My other machine has a 6950 which seems to work great but its an expensize card.

I've been trying to purge, audit and recover my drawing and template. The template doesn't have an issue with changing the annotation scale. Many of my drawings do still after being recovered, ect.

I'm currently working on uninstalling all the programs from Design suite premium 2014 so I can re-install. This is taking forever since there's +/- 20 programs to uninstall... There should be a faster way uninstall everything.

Message 13 of 26
gccdaemon
in reply to: tcorey

A good car will run $125-$175....a great card will run $175-$250....anything proced above that is strictly for rendering. I know a lot about cards, what is your price range?

Andrew Ingram
Civil 3D x64 2019
Win 10 x64 Pro
Intel Xeon E5-1620
32 GB Ram
Message 14 of 26
4Runner

Around 200$

Message 15 of 26
Joe-Bouza

I have found the safest way is through the toolspace settings tab>> drawing scale

Joe Bouza
Did you find this post helpful? Feel free to Like this post.
Did your question get successfully answered? Then click on the ACCEPT SOLUTION button.

EESignature

Message 16 of 26
gccdaemon

Here is the best bang for your buck. I suggest going with an ATI card because Autodesk loves those, and Geforce doesn't allow for the processor to pull strain from the card.

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16814129266

If you want a pay a little bit more this one has 200 more processing threads

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16814161404

Andrew Ingram
Civil 3D x64 2019
Win 10 x64 Pro
Intel Xeon E5-1620
32 GB Ram
Message 17 of 26
4Runner

Thanks Andrew I will give that a try.

Message 18 of 26
4Runner
in reply to: Joe-Bouza

My crash comes when changing the annotation scale for a viewport. Sorry I should have been more descriptive.

Message 19 of 26
dgorsman

This sounds very much like the problems from massive numbers of annotation scales inherited from other drawings.  The template would only have a base set of annotation scales, well within the list maximum, while drawings that are worked on could be adding to the list through inserts, XREFs, and other means.

----------------------------------
If you are going to fly by the seat of your pants, expect friction burns.
"I don't know" is the beginning of knowledge, not the end.

Message 20 of 26
4Runner
in reply to: dgorsman

AH HA! This very well could be my problem as I have blocks in my xref'ed base drawing with loads of annotation scales. I will change this and get back to you. Thanks!

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Rail Community

Autodesk Design & Make Report