Community
Civil 3D Forum
Welcome to Autodesk’s Civil 3D Forums. Share your knowledge, ask questions, and explore popular AutoCAD Civil 3D topics.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Civil 3D Box Culvert Pipe Builder

6 REPLIES 6
Message 1 of 7
Kyle-Evans
5124 Views, 6 Replies

Civil 3D Box Culvert Pipe Builder

Hey Guys!

I am attempting to make some Box Culverts in the Part Builder, making the culvert is not so much the problem as where I live, they do not build them with uniform sides. As an example, a 1200mm x 600mm box culvert has a SideWall thickness of 125mm, a TopWall thickness of 190mm and a BottomWall thickness of 150mm. In the part builder, I can only see an option for one wall thickness.

Is there a way for me to specify all of the various thicknesses, or am I just out of luck?!

Thanks in Advance!!!

6 REPLIES 6
Message 2 of 7
Kyle-Evans
in reply to: Kyle-Evans

Anyone...?

Message 3 of 7
SethHall

With the stock part you are using, you are correct there is only one Wall Thickness, and that applies to all the walls. You may be able to create a custom part that could have a certain thickness on specific walls.

Seth Hall
Product Owner
Model Builder
Message 4 of 7
Kyle-Evans
in reply to: SethHall

Is there a whitepaper or workup created for this???

Message 5 of 7
SethHall

No whitepapers specifically, but there are the Part Builder tutorials that ship with the product and also a bunch of online classes from previous years of AU. http://au.autodesk.com/?nd=classes

Seth Hall
Product Owner
Model Builder
Message 6 of 7
Cadguru42

I'm currently working on a box culvert project. Box culverts cause problems in the model since they don't have structures at their bends. This causes the boxes to not be drawn correctly at bends with overlaps and gaps (see box_culvert_pipes.png). I just draw in the box culvert as dumb polylines for the final plans.

There is also the issue about how to get a structure placed that is directly on top of a box culvert. For instance, I need to place a catch basin structure that drops directly into the box culvert. C3D doesn't allow a structure to attach to a pipe. It's always a pipe to a structure. This causes the structure to automatically drop down to the box culvert's invert as it's a pipe. So far the only option I've come up with is to separate the box culvert into it's own pipe network in order to get profiles and the rest of the storm sewer network in another pipe network. This way the pipes and structures from the storm network don't interact with the box culvert network, but then that kind of defeats the purpose of keeping the storm pipe network together. 

There's also the issue of having smaller pipes that connect into a box culvert. Pipes don't connect to each other, so I can't put a 15" RCP that dumps into a 12' x 3' box culvert. I can draw the 15" RCP where it looks like it's dumping into the box culvert, but the pipe's not really connecting. This can cause labels to not work correctly since a box culvert is not a structure. 

Large pipes, such as box culverts, need to be treated more like a structure than a pipe. I was thinking of trying to create a structure in pipe builder that's more like a box culvert, but that's a lot of work in order to get it to work correctly as almost every box culvert "junction", such as a drop inlet directly on top or side holes or bends, would be a pain to model. 

How does everyone else handle box culverts with lots of connections?

C3D 2022-2024
Windows 10 Pro
32GB RAM
Message 7 of 7
yousufmnsr

Is there still no solution for this?

I need to create a box culvert with varying wall thicknesses and am unsure what to edit in the custom part in order to allow varying thicknesses.

FYI @SethHall , the online classes link does not work.

Please assist in solving this if any new fix has been created in the recent years

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Rail Community

Autodesk Design & Make Report