Community
Civil 3D Forum
Welcome to Autodesk’s Civil 3D Forums. Share your knowledge, ask questions, and explore popular AutoCAD Civil 3D topics.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Civil 3D and Surface Pro 3

8 REPLIES 8
Message 1 of 9
JohnWMac
2782 Views, 8 Replies

Civil 3D and Surface Pro 3

Something interesting that I tried this week.

I have a Surface Pro 2, i5 Processor with 4 GB RAM and a Docking Station.

I installed Civil 3D 2015 on the system. I attached a secondary monitor using the docking station. I was able to run C3D fairly well for an i5 with only 4 GB.

I used the surface screen for the ribbon and prospector and the main screen to display the model.

I was able to interface with the pen and mouse fairly well.  Sometimes using the pen to input directly into the ribbon.  The SP2 pen is a watcomm and I think it works well for this type of interface.  The SP2 has a small screen, so I think the SP3 would be even better.

I was able to move the window freely between the SP2 and the main monitor and even did some tracing of a raster image using the pen.  Which was very cool.

It was an interesting experiment.

I would be interested to see if anyone has tried this on a SP3 say with an i7, 8GB RAM.

Thanks

8 REPLIES 8
Message 2 of 9
odoshi
in reply to: JohnWMac

Check out the laptop specs in my signature 😉

i5, 4GB, Intel HD5000 graphics. I think the Surface Pro 3 has HD4400 graphics.

Once they start fitting quad core chips and dedicated video into these smaller systems, I'll be even happier.

My choice was based solely on portability. I do training and demo's all over, and only break out the big guns when I need to. (I also have an HP elitebook).

Regards,

Mike Caruso
Autodesk Certified Instructor 2014
AutoCAD/Civil 3D Autodesk Certified Professional 2014, 2015, 2018
www.whitemountaincad.com
Message 3 of 9
mgorden
in reply to: odoshi

Hello!  Can you tell me more about:

"Rockin' Civil 3D 2015 on a 13-inch MacBook Air | Intel i5 | 4GB RAM | 128GB SSD | Intel HD5000"

I've been debating a macbook pro and surface pro 3...  Do you run this with paralells or fusion?

I don't use Cad everyday just to do small things and to review drawings of consultants...

Do you think I can function on either the macbook pro or surface pro 3?

Thanks in advace for your insight!

Mychal

Message 4 of 9
JohnWMac
in reply to: mgorden

The Mac Book Air is a well built machine.  However it does not have a touch screen. 

I have been using the Surface Pro with a docking station and second monitor.  I have it set up so that Civil 3d menus are diplayed on the Surface Pro.  I do this so that I can get some touch capabilities.  Working with Mouse, Keyboard, Pen and finger has opened a whole new method for me...  it has increased my productivity at least 15%...  Again this is all in way of utilizing touch where it works best, and since Autodesk products are not touch designed... yet.. the menus are really the only part that i find benifit from touch.

Message 5 of 9
odoshi

I run Windows using bootcamp, so the hard drive is partitioned into 2, and I boot directly to Windows.

The MacBook Air an MacBook Pro both have better video (HD5000, HD5100) than the Surface Pro 3(HD4600), but none are using a dedicated video card.

The MacBook Pro 15" has an option for an NVIDEA dedicated 2GB graphics card, but totals $2499.

I paid $850 and use it mostly to do checks and programming. When I need to insert 30 PDF's into a DWG, I go to my HP Elitebook.

Regards,

Mike Caruso
www.whitemountaincad.com
Message 6 of 9
mgorden

Thanks for your reply! I'm looking to go with the high end MBP with the
dedicated graphics.

With that setup do you feel I could run Civil 3D effectively? Like you I
would use it mainly to check work, do small things, etc. Would just need to
do simple cad tasks without issue. If I need to dive into heavy stuff I'll
be at a workstation.

Do you use parallels or fusion? Any thoughts or tips on that front?

Thanks!

Mychal

Mychal Gorden

Mychal Gorden Design, Inc.
Message 7 of 9
odoshi

Mychal,

I think you'd be fine doing most task with Civil 3D on the MBP 15" with NVIDIA card. In fact, a lot of the guys at Autodesk I know use them to run Infraworks.

I chose the bootcamp route in stead of parallels. I let it partition the drive (which isn't very big) allowing me a dual boot option. I just think it is speedier.

Regards,

Mike Caruso
www.whitemountaincad.com
Message 8 of 9
mgorden

Thanks again - I think that's the direction I'll go. From past experience I think I can do boot camp partition and also let parallels run that virtually? That way I can view files and do little stuff virtually in the mac and then boot into windows via boot camp if I want full system resources to get higher end use done.

I appreciate your responses and insight.

Mychal Gorden
Message 9 of 9

I just bought a Surface Pro 3 i5 with 8GB ram and 256GB hard drive. Installed Civil 3D 2014 SP2 and it seems to be working great. Will be installing 2015 as well soon. Very pleased with the performance thus far.

Steve Hill
Civil Designer / .NET Developer
AutoCAD Certified Professional
AutoCAD Civil 3D Certified Professional
http://redtransitconsultants.com/
Autodesk Exchange Store
Twitter | LinkedIn

Please select the Accept this solution button if my post solves your issue or answers your question.

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Rail Community

Autodesk Design & Make Report