Community
Civil 3D Forum
Welcome to Autodesk’s Civil 3D Forums. Share your knowledge, ask questions, and explore popular AutoCAD Civil 3D topics.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

CIVIL 3D AND 3DS MAX

5 REPLIES 5
Message 1 of 6
MonkeyTrainer
1547 Views, 5 Replies

CIVIL 3D AND 3DS MAX

Does anyone know where I can get some questions answered about these two programs working together?

When I bring my model over to get rendered, my materials seems to be distorted in 95% of the areas. My biggest complaint is the way the grass renders. See Image. I have used these products for years but took a break. These programs use to work flawlessly. Now, they dont. In the image, you can see what the grass is supposed to look like.

5 REPLIES 5
Message 2 of 6

Hi,

how did you transfer the data from Civil3D to 3DSMax? There are so much options beginning from opening the DWG in 3DS, or use the AECEXPORTTOAUTOCAD command to get rid of Civil-objects, or exporting as FBX or using the CivilView option?

The image itself looks like the mapping ccords does not fit to the triangles, either the mapping scaling or orientation.

- alfred -

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Alfred NESWADBA
Ingenieur Studio HOLLAUS ... www.hollaus.at ... blog.hollaus.at ... CDay 2024
------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
(not an Autodesk consultant)
Message 3 of 6

I got rid of all things related to civ3d. All it is, is 3dfaces with a material attached, the way ive always done it. i have created unbelievable renders using these methods using acad and max before autodesk bought max. maybe the way civ3d and acad applies these materials differently. it renders fine in civ3d. See image

Message 4 of 6

Hi,

>> i have created unbelievable renders using these methods using acad and max before autodesk bought max

The time Autodesk began to distribute 3DS-products was before the word "Max" was included in the product name. It was 3D-Studio 1 to 4 before 3DS Max 1 came out ... and that was already under strong influence of Autodesk.

>> maybe the way civ3d and acad applies these materials differently

Materials are one obstacle to get around, but not the biggest problem if you use 3DS Max 2012.

The problem that's even more sensible is the usage/conversion of the mapping settings, because depending on the version of 3DS these get handled quite different.

- alfred -

Alfred NESWADBA
Ingenieur Studio HOLLAUS ... www.hollaus.at ... blog.hollaus.at ... CDay 2024
(not an Autodesk consultant)
Message 5 of 6

ok, thanks for clearing things up. i will try mapping them in different ways. if anyone else has had this problem please drop a line.

Message 6 of 6

Hi

Is there a reason you don't use the Civil View tools? I would strongly recommend you give them a go, they'll save you having to blow your drawing up, keep a dynamic integration between 3ds Max and C3D and manage the material mapping for you.

Let us know how you get on.

Ian McGregor
BIM Technical Consulting Manager
Autodesk Customer Success EMEA
Autodesk, Inc.

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Rail Community

Autodesk Design & Make Report