Community
Civil 3D Forum
Welcome to Autodesk’s Civil 3D Forums. Share your knowledge, ask questions, and explore popular AutoCAD Civil 3D topics.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Civil 3D 2015 Suddenly Non-Responsive to Keyboard Commands

72 REPLIES 72
Message 1 of 73
caddhead
6706 Views, 72 Replies

Civil 3D 2015 Suddenly Non-Responsive to Keyboard Commands

Caddhead here. Long-time reader, first time writer. 

I just cannot get over this glitch that interrupts my workflow. I am plowing through a CADD exercise, falling behind schedule, but finding a rhythm with the trackball and keyboard. My practice is to mouse with the right hand, keyboard with the left. I am a convert from the days of Softdesk and LDD. The autocomplete feature threw me for a loop when I first started, but one Civil 3D pro already pointed out to me that the autocomplete feature can be set on a delay to avoid banging out the wrong command in a hurry.

We are, however, scratching our heads over Civil 3D 2015's sudden non-responsive to keyboard commands. As I am heating up the keyboard with a flurry of commands and shortcuts, the keyboard is suddenly, inexplicably non-responsive. Nothing shows up on the command line when I type. I tap, nothing. I repetitively hammer letter and number keys and still nothing. The keyboard commands are not working. The design process fails, and I forget what I am doing.

Typically with two tabs open, I switch over to the next tab, and then back again. Keyboard responsiveness returns, and after I remember what I am doing, then I continue until the next cyberfreeze. 

Anyone else encountered this phenonmenon and broke through it with a different work-around? Any input would be appreciated. Thanks!

--

Caddhead

72 REPLIES 72
Message 41 of 73
jmayo-EE
in reply to: antoinearch

A quick google search indicates that it may be limited to C3D. I did not see any links with the issue in AutoCAD.

John Mayo

EESignature

Message 42 of 73
KirkNoonan
in reply to: caddhead

It seems like the dynamic input method at the cursor (DYNMODE) is unaffected by this issue.

Message 43 of 73
liuja

Please try to run "LevelofDetailOff" to turn off LOD if you don't need the feature.

It works for me.

Message 44 of 73
baldema
in reply to: ezick

I have tried turning off the dwg display tabs as well as turning off the NEWTABMODE system variable. I am still running into a non-functional condition with C3D not being responsive to keyboard commands with 2 or more files open. Also, no amount of cycling between open dwg's seems to get me out of this predicament! Any advice would be be much appreciated. 

Message 45 of 73
JamesMaeding
in reply to: baldema

We need to all do subscription support requests on this, hammer Adesk!

James Maeding
Hunsaker & Associates
direct voice (949) 458-5448
fax (949) 583-0759

internal protected virtual unsafe Human() : mostlyHarmless
I'm just here for the Shelties

Message 46 of 73
TorgEng

Not sure if this has been mentioned, but I find that selecting objects before executing commands seems to cause this problem to occur more frequently. Entering the command first has helped, although not a full workaround.

If you have the RAM, you can open 2 sessions of C3D and switch between them. Of course, when you want to open 5 or 10 drawings, that's not much help...

Message 47 of 73
cak
Community Visitor

type "levelofdetailoff" in your command line
Message 48 of 73
Josh_Ory
in reply to: cak

@Anonymous wrote:
type "levelofdetailoff" in your command line

You are the second person to suggest this.
Just did it, will keep you all posted on my success.

- Josh

Win 7 64, Xeon ES1620@3.6Ghz,
16 GB RAM, Quadro 4000
Message 49 of 73
caddhead

How is the levelofdetailoff working for you? I will try this command, and thereby effectively reduce the power of the product to utilize the large surfaces I generate from LiDAR. In reducing the functionality and turning off bells and whistles that we pay for, whether as a stand-alone or subscription program, we should receive at least a partial a refund.

I did submit feedback (2x) to Autodesk regarding this issue but, have not heard back. I also worked through our subscription management company, and, given a day and extensive documentation, they were not able to re-produce the problem. The effort that I am required invest to prove this issue is just too much, and, of course, non-billable. 

Thanks again for everyone chiming in. Still, I am hopeful for a fix.

Message 50 of 73
caddhead

Our subscription management company referred me to the following troubleshooting page: Autodesk Responded to Keyboard Failure a couple of weeks ago. 

The first suggestion is to apply the "levelofdetailoff" command, and the next is to fix a possibly corrupted user file. 

Message 51 of 73
JamesMaeding

That is not acceptable, as Autodesk does not know the problem.

Come on, LOD or corrupt profile??? "Its either your toenail, or left ear..."

We have tried both as we are well versed in resetting ande turning things off after 20 years of dealing with Autodesk products.

Clipping nails and scratching ears did not help any better.

The corrupt profile issue is tangled in the way they have acad and verts as one install, as they confused raster design and the VBA enabler in the registry.

We have dealt with all that and the keyboard problem persists.

Have others found the LOD off does not help?

Message 52 of 73

I think with all of Autodesk's UI changes sometimes it doesn't recognize the change to a different tab. I get the programmers difficulty in reproducing it, but Autodesk really needs to have a programmer work on the product for a week or so they can observe the issue. I was getting an exception in 2014 that says it was out of wack, it looks like Autodesk suppressed the error without fixing the issue and now we are stuck with an enviroment that becomes unstable. 

Civil Reminders
http://blog.civil3dreminders.com/
http://www.CivilReminders.com/
Alumni
Message 53 of 73
Cadguru42
in reply to: Joe-Bouza

@Joe-Bouza wrote:
Most issues are usually found between the keyboard and the chair

I know! My desk is always causing me issues. Smiley Wink

C3D 2022-2024
Windows 10 Pro
32GB RAM
Message 54 of 73
marj.olson

We just had this issue in Autocad 2013 and weren't even able to save and close the file.

Message 55 of 73
JamesMaeding
in reply to: marj.olson

Autodesk must not confuse this specific Civil3d 2015 issue with general lockups, as Molson1 seems to be talking about.

If you are claiming its not a general lockup, but a focus issue like this thread is about, you need to say, and if you mean civil3d 2013 or not please.

Message 56 of 73
marj.olson
in reply to: JamesMaeding

This was not a general lockup.  We lost the cursor in the window and could not type commands in the command line.

Antoinearch had asked if this was a problem isolated to Civil 3D and I replied because it appears to be the same problem I have had in Autocad 2013.

Message 57 of 73
htls69
in reply to: marj.olson

any progress on a permanant fix to this issue

Allen Robberson
Credit where credit is due! Give kudos or accept as solution whenever you can.
Message 58 of 73
KirkNoonan
in reply to: htls69

@Anonymous wrote:

any progress on a permanant fix to this issue

We're the beta testers - not the fixers.

Message 59 of 73
Josh_Ory
in reply to: KirkNoonan

I feel like my software has been fine until late last week.

All of a sudden, the issue returned, and I had to toggle between drawing tabs to gain back the commandline.

- Josh

Win 7 64, Xeon ES1620@3.6Ghz,
16 GB RAM, Quadro 4000
Message 60 of 73
htls69
in reply to: Josh_Ory

i feel someday i never see the error and then other days like today i have it happen 35 times an hours (it feels like that many times)

Allen Robberson
Credit where credit is due! Give kudos or accept as solution whenever you can.

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Rail Community

Autodesk Design & Make Report