Community
Civil 3D Forum
Welcome to Autodesk’s Civil 3D Forums. Share your knowledge, ask questions, and explore popular AutoCAD Civil 3D topics.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Civil 3D 2015 Suddenly Non-Responsive to Keyboard Commands

72 REPLIES 72
Message 1 of 73
caddhead
6715 Views, 72 Replies

Civil 3D 2015 Suddenly Non-Responsive to Keyboard Commands

Caddhead here. Long-time reader, first time writer. 

I just cannot get over this glitch that interrupts my workflow. I am plowing through a CADD exercise, falling behind schedule, but finding a rhythm with the trackball and keyboard. My practice is to mouse with the right hand, keyboard with the left. I am a convert from the days of Softdesk and LDD. The autocomplete feature threw me for a loop when I first started, but one Civil 3D pro already pointed out to me that the autocomplete feature can be set on a delay to avoid banging out the wrong command in a hurry.

We are, however, scratching our heads over Civil 3D 2015's sudden non-responsive to keyboard commands. As I am heating up the keyboard with a flurry of commands and shortcuts, the keyboard is suddenly, inexplicably non-responsive. Nothing shows up on the command line when I type. I tap, nothing. I repetitively hammer letter and number keys and still nothing. The keyboard commands are not working. The design process fails, and I forget what I am doing.

Typically with two tabs open, I switch over to the next tab, and then back again. Keyboard responsiveness returns, and after I remember what I am doing, then I continue until the next cyberfreeze. 

Anyone else encountered this phenonmenon and broke through it with a different work-around? Any input would be appreciated. Thanks!

--

Caddhead

72 REPLIES 72
Message 2 of 73
wfberry
in reply to: caddhead

I know what you are talking about.  I have been using the same technique.

With only one file open, I just select NEW tab and go back to original tab.

Sorry,

Bill

Message 3 of 73

....Civil 3D 2015's sudden non-responsive to keyboard commands. As I am heating up the keyboard with a flurry of commands and shortcuts, the keyboard is suddenly, inexplicably non-responsive. Nothing shows up on the command line when I type. I tap, nothing. I repetitively hammer letter and number keys and still nothing. ....

"Don't force it - get a bigger hammer"

As I am heating up the keyboard with a flurry of commands and shortcuts.... : Great begining to a thriller.

I have nothing to offer regarding 2015, but if the flurry of commands is coincident with an autosave, that ImHO will bog things down

Message 4 of 73
Pointdump

Caddhead,

"...heating up the keyboard with a flurry of commands and shortcuts..."

That sure conjures a picture. 

Dave

Dave Stoll
Las Vegas, Nevada

EESignature

64GB DDR4 2400MHz ECC SoDIMM / 1TB SSD
NVIDIA Quadro P5000 16GB
Windows 10 Pro 64 / Civil 3D 2024
Message 5 of 73
caddhead

Thank you for the input. It just happened 6x this morning. Funny thing, is that when the keyboard stopped working. I switched from the non-responsive tab to a new tab, and then when I switched back again, I could see the keys I had typed in. Whether ghost commands or time warp, I am spooked.

Message 6 of 73
TorgEng

I've noticed that when the problem happens, the commands are registering in another open drawing (at least for me). Only workaround I've found is to only have one drawing open at a time (or keep switching between tabs every time it malfunctions). What a pain!!

Message 7 of 73
ezick

Autodesk please fix!

Message 8 of 73
antoinearch

I have found cause of the problem but not the solution.  It is Autosave.  I was having the exact same issue, then it would go away when i tabbed back to the current drawing.  Then, later when I would switch to the other drawing to work on it,  it seemed to already have commands typed it.  Bingo.  What is happening is that after EVERY autosave, the keyboard commands are acting on one of the other tabbed drawings, instead of the current.  Unfortunately, I have not found a fix, other than what you said, tab to another drawing then back.  I increased the time between autosaves to avoid undue aggravation, and am trying to remember to hard save more often.  Note that this does not happen after a hard save, only autosave. I know autodesk hates when we call their "features" bugs, but I can't for the life of me think why this would be programmed in on purpose.

Message 9 of 73
antoinearch
in reply to: antoinearch

Message 10 of 73
ezick

you can also turn off the tab display.  I've found that to work for me.  I got used to the tabs but prefer working without them if it means a smooth working environment.

Message 11 of 73
caddhead
in reply to: ezick

I could probably do without the tabs, as well. I might try to turn those off.
Message 12 of 73
caddhead

It hasn't happened to me today, maybe because I have been saving so frequently.
Message 13 of 73
fsmland

I have the same issue described here, but I do not have autosave turned on. I'm pretty sure that I do have multiple drawings open when it happens.

Message 14 of 73
TorgEng

No need to apologize! I appreciate the tip--I hadn't realized it was linked
to auto-save.
Message 15 of 73
deane

AUTODESK.... This should be a top priority for the next hotfix release...  I'm the Digital Technoloy Chair for the ASLA and I've been getting peppered with questions about this same issue!  

This is progressively getting worse!!!!  Nothing worse than nunchuking a drawing and suddenly realize half the commands you've typed in haven't appeared...  Switching to another tab only further takes your brain out of the drafting you were in the middle of!

PLEASE FIX THIS ASAP.

Message 16 of 73
jmayo-EE
in reply to: deane

It is not very likely that those who can get this fixed will read this post. This is a user forum and Autodesk employees are not required to be here. I would recommend opening a support case to make sure this gets to the C3D development team.

John Mayo

EESignature

Message 17 of 73
jmayo-EE
in reply to: jmayo-EE

Thnx for the kudos folks. I am not using 2015 yet but do note that one voice to Support is good, more is better. 😉

John Mayo

EESignature

Message 18 of 73
annw2
in reply to: ezick

Also the obvious, make sure someone hasn't tripped over the cord and partially unplugged it or one of your keys hasn't broken.

I watched one co worker hammer on a keyboard with a broken space bar, then went to the closet & dug him out a new one.

I have heard IT can often fix 90% of problems with "Is it plugged in?  Is it turned on?"

Ann Wingert, P.E.
Tags (1)
Message 19 of 73
Joe-Bouza

Most issues are usually found between the keyboard and the chair

Your Name
Did you find this post helpful? Feel free to Like this post.
Did your question get successfully answered? Then click on the ACCEPT SOLUTION button.

Your Name

EESignature

Tags (2)
Message 20 of 73
caddhead
in reply to: jmayo-EE

Thanks for directing our collective frustration to the appropriate Autodesk department. Though I am glad to know I am not the only user experiencing this odd quirk of the Civil 3D 2015 tab feature, I am still not certain it's a software bug. Better to request that software engineers investigate the issue.

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Rail Community

Autodesk Design & Make Report