Community
Civil 3D Forum
Welcome to Autodesk’s Civil 3D Forums. Share your knowledge, ask questions, and explore popular AutoCAD Civil 3D topics.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Civil 3D 2015 Field to Finish - Symbols

11 REPLIES 11
Message 1 of 12
tommyshiflett
2695 Views, 11 Replies

Civil 3D 2015 Field to Finish - Symbols

How do I get Civil 3D 2015 to automatically insert my symbols into the drawing?

So far, I've got my point groups set up and my cad blocks made. How do I tie my cad blocks to my point groups? 

cad blocks.JPG

POINT GROUPS.jpg

Thanks.

11 REPLIES 11
Message 2 of 12
awood
in reply to: tommyshiflett

You need to create Point styles for each symbol and then set up a description key set with you field codes matching the symbol.

HTH

AWood

Template.png

Message 3 of 12
tcorey

You don't necessarily need to use Description Keys.

If your Point Group uses a Point Style that has a symbol/block as the Marker, simply being a member of the point group will cause a point to display using that symbol.

Where Description Keys become a must-use feature is if you are trying to sort onto various layers or if you want the symbols sized and/or rotated based on an additional parameter in the point description. For example, OAK 8 could provide an Oak Tree symbol that is scaled to represent a trunk diamter of 8", if you use Description Keys. If you only use Point Groups, then you can get all the OAKs to show the correct symbol, but it won't scale.

Best regards,

Tim

Tim Corey
MicroCAD Training and Consulting, Inc.
Redding, CA
Autodesk Gold Reseller

New knowledge is the most valuable commodity on earth. -- Kurt Vonnegut
Message 4 of 12
Jay_B

One of the most confusing things for me when setting up Point Styles was the way the scaling works.

If the "Use Drawing Scale" option is used, think of it as a 1:1 scale Layout text height very similar to Autocad annotation scaling.

With model space scale 1"=50', Point Style X at a 0.12" Use Drawing Scale will measure 6.0' in height in MS.

Point Style X will measure 0.12" in Layout.

Trees etc. will need larger values.

POINT SCALE.PNG

C3D 2018.1
C3D 2016 SP4

Win 7 Professional 64 Bit
Message 5 of 12
Pointdump

Tommy,

In addition to all the excellent advice you're getting...

"How do I tie my cad blocks to my point groups?"

I'm guessing you want to use your own custom blocks as Point Symbols. In the Point Style, click "Use AutoCAD Block Symbol for Marker". Instead of choosing a stock symbol, right-click in a blank part of the list of Blocks. Up pops a "Browse" button. Click that to navigate to wherever your Custom Blocks are kept.

Browse.png

Dave

Dave Stoll
Las Vegas, Nevada

EESignature

64GB DDR4 2400MHz ECC SoDIMM / 1TB SSD
NVIDIA Quadro P5000 16GB
Windows 10 Pro 64 / Civil 3D 2024
Message 6 of 12
rl_jackson
in reply to: Pointdump

To add to what others have said.

Once you have you point sytles created

You will also need to define description keys using the raw description as the code (you field code), this is what tells C3D what to do when it sees a particular description.  This must be set up for the blocks (point styles) to automatically display on import of the field data.

DESCKEYS.png

Rick Jackson
Survey CAD Technician VI

Did you find this post helpful? Feel free to Like this post.
Did your question get successfully answered? Then click on the ACCEPT SOLUTION button.

EESignature

Message 7 of 12
rl_jackson
in reply to: rl_jackson

Also, just looking at your templat. You could invetably have hundreds of point groups that could be required for a survey of an existing site. You may want to generalize the groups alittle more. I use just the ones shown here on a daily basis, and rarely ever have to add anymore to the list.

Here I control the visibility with the _No Display point group, which can be adjusted up and down the list as need through by right-clicking the point group heading and selecting properties.

Point_Groups.png

Rick Jackson
Survey CAD Technician VI

Did your question get successfully answered? Then click on the ACCEPT SOLUTION button.

EESignature

Message 8 of 12
msolodkii

Question for all that inovolved....In regards to line work. is there a way to set up "field to finish" in c3d where it would connect my line work when I drop points in?

Message 9 of 12
rl_jackson

Yes this is done by using the survey database which reads the figure prefix to determine when linework should start and what layer it should reside on. (see survey tab).

Rick Jackson
Survey CAD Technician VI

EESignature

Message 10 of 12
msolodkii

Where would I start to get this set up?

Maxim (Max) Solodkii
Planners & Engineers Collaborative, Inc.
[PEC-long-logo]
350 Research Ct | Peachtree Corners, GA 30092
O: 770-451-2741 | 😧 678-684-6239
msolodkii@pecatl.com | www.pecatl.com
Message 11 of 12
rl_jackson

You should start with familiarizing yourself with the survey database. This is a complete separate set of files that are created in a project folder. As a word of caution. The SDB must have the same coordinate system as the drawing or you'll experience discrepancies in your data. You can also look at the linework code set. This is how C3D knows when to begin or end a line based on the coding in your ASCII or fieldbook file. It also provides special codes for curves and right turns etc.... Basically Figure Prefix and Linework Code sets work together like this:

Raw code EP B connects to any other code EP until the EP E is seen.

Also look at the help section under survey. Very useful information (I'm on my phone can post additional information or search here and it should come up)

Rick Jackson
Survey CAD Technician VI

EESignature

Message 12 of 12
msolodkii

thanks for the help. I just now found your message. I've made some progress but still have a lot to learn. Hardest part getting "old dogs" to buy into change. change is good:)

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Rail Community

Autodesk Design & Make Report