Community
Civil 3D Forum
Welcome to Autodesk’s Civil 3D Forums. Share your knowledge, ask questions, and explore popular AutoCAD Civil 3D topics.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Civil 3d 2014 templates from 2011 templates

4 REPLIES 4
SOLVED
Message 1 of 5
rick.hberg
1195 Views, 4 Replies

Civil 3d 2014 templates from 2011 templates

We are going to move from Civil 3D 2011 to 2014 soon. 

Are there any suggestions as to the best ways to create 2014 templates from our existing 2011 templates?  For example, would it hurt to use the import styles/settings from the old to the new templates?  Or, would I be crazy to try a simple save-as of the 2011 templates to 2014 (with the differing file format being a possible problem)?

Naturally, there was a LOT of time spent on the 2011 templates (for all the different deparments) and I would greatly appreciate any suggestions or experiences you guys and gals have with this subject.

Thanks a bunch!

Civil 3D 2014
Windows 7 x64
4 REPLIES 4
Message 2 of 5
neilyj666
in reply to: rick.hberg

I only really use 1 template and up until 2014, I just opened the previous versions template and used Save As which has worked without too much hassle.

For 2014, I used the standard OOTB template (UKIE) and imported styles and settings etc and used ADC to bring in text/mleader/dimension styles and layers and finally edited the template to suit my other preferences e.g. Object Layer suffixes etc. This method seems to have gone fairly smoothly as well.

A couple of advantages of the latter method are that all the standard objects are included whereas 2011 wouldn't have pressure pipe objects layers and styles etc (if you use them - which I don't) and a lot of the accumulated clutter is left behind.

Either way as long as you use Purge and Audit you should be ok.

neilyj (No connection with Autodesk other than using the products in the real world)
Did you find this post helpful? Feel free to Like this post.
Did your question get successfully answered? Then click on the ACCEPT SOLUTION button.

EESignature

AEC Collection 2024 UKIE (mainly Civil 3D UKIE and IW)
Win 11 Pro x64, 1Tb Primary SSD, 1Tb Secondary SSD
64Gb RAM Intel(R) Xeon(R) W-11855M CPU @ 3.2GHz
NVIDIA RTX A5000 16Gb, Dual 27" Monitor, Dell Inspiron 7760
Message 3 of 5
Lisa_Pohlmeyer

I brought our templates forward and haven't experienced any issues. I would just check the object layers for new objects, then create new styles as needed.

Lisa Pohlmeyer
Civil 3D User
Website | Facebook | Twitter

Message 4 of 5
rick.hberg

Thank you both.  Good info, and a sigh of relief!

Civil 3D 2014
Windows 7 x64
Message 5 of 5
shadysuliman15

we made the switch from 2004 to 2014 a few months ago and its been going well however the most time consuming thing so far is setting up different styles, I've got most of them down but assemblies and grading styles are still things that i need to look into. Can anyone share a template just to give a starting point then i can modify it from there. Thank you guys, any help would be much appreciated 

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Rail Community

Autodesk Design & Make Report