Community
Civil 3D Forum
Welcome to Autodesk’s Civil 3D Forums. Share your knowledge, ask questions, and explore popular AutoCAD Civil 3D topics.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Civil 3D 2014 surface from points

4 REPLIES 4
Message 1 of 5
mcki8907
288 Views, 4 Replies

Civil 3D 2014 surface from points

I imported a point cloud of survey locations. When I try to make it into a surface there are no options for surface type only "standard." The resulting surface only has the border and no contour lines. All of the tutorials I have looked at recommend changing the surface type but the only option I have is again "standard" no contour distance are in the dropdown menu.Screen Shot 2014-10-03 at 8.51.04 AM.png

4 REPLIES 4
Message 2 of 5
tcorey
in reply to: mcki8907

You will need to create a new surface style that has the contours turned on (see the Display tab) and for which you have set the contour intervals (see the Contours tab.)

Optionally, create a new drawing using the Civil 3D Imperial template and then insert/explode this drawing. That will bring in the surface and you can assign one of the styles that are included with the template.

Tim Corey
MicroCAD Training and Consulting, Inc.
Redding, CA
Autodesk Gold Reseller

New knowledge is the most valuable commodity on earth. -- Kurt Vonnegut
Message 3 of 5
Jay_B

Whatever template was used to create the drawing didn't have much for styles in it.

If you have a custom company template, I'd recommend starting a new dwg using that template so the proper styles are available.

If not then choose one of the "NCS" templates which come with Civil 3D as these have some basic styles for surfaces included.

IMO, It's best to start from scratch with the proper template if all that's been done is shown in your screen shot.

C3D 2018.1
C3D 2016 SP4

Win 7 Professional 64 Bit
Message 4 of 5
Jay_B

And Tim types so much faster than I. Smiley Wink

C3D 2018.1
C3D 2016 SP4

Win 7 Professional 64 Bit
Message 5 of 5
tcorey
in reply to: Jay_B

Five forward, three back...

Tim Corey
MicroCAD Training and Consulting, Inc.
Redding, CA
Autodesk Gold Reseller

New knowledge is the most valuable commodity on earth. -- Kurt Vonnegut

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Rail Community

Autodesk Design & Make Report