Community
Civil 3D Forum
Welcome to Autodesk’s Civil 3D Forums. Share your knowledge, ask questions, and explore popular AutoCAD Civil 3D topics.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Civil 3D 2014 Point Import Slow

11 REPLIES 11
Message 1 of 12
jackamo
1008 Views, 11 Replies

Civil 3D 2014 Point Import Slow

It seems that the simple Point Import in C3D 2014 is very slow.  Has anyone else found this to be the case  Is there a setting that I am missing?

11 REPLIES 11
Message 2 of 12
Pointdump
in reply to: jackamo

Depends. Are we talking about a couple of points or a point cloud? And how slow is slow? Was it always slow, or is it a recent problem?

Dave

Dave Stoll
Las Vegas, Nevada

EESignature

64GB DDR4 2400MHz ECC SoDIMM / 1TB SSD
NVIDIA Quadro P5000 16GB
Windows 10 Pro 64 / Civil 3D 2024
Message 3 of 12
jackamo
in reply to: Pointdump

About 5000 Survey COGO Points.  Not a point cloud

Message 4 of 12
Pointdump

5000 is a fair number of points. Definitely wouldn't be instantaneous, especially if Description Keys are sorting points into different layers. So, how slow is slow? Over 10 seconds?

Dave

Dave Stoll
Las Vegas, Nevada

EESignature

NVIDIA Quadro P5000 16GB
Message 5 of 12
jackamo

It used to take about 30 seconds to import the same amount of points.  Now it takes hours.  Although when I mport them into a drawing with no description key or Point groups they come right in.

Message 6 of 12
Pointdump

Hours? Oh yeah, you got a problem somewhere. Your mention of deskeys and point groups is almost certainly a clue to the problem, but nothing comes to mind. Perhaps someone here will weigh in with a solution.

Dave

Dave Stoll
Las Vegas, Nevada

EESignature

NVIDIA Quadro P5000 16GB
Message 7 of 12
paulgalli5397

How many point groups?  Adesk has told us the program doesn't work well with more than 20 groups.  Not sure why, but deleting point groups usually speeds things up.  Also, not using their "edit points" dialogue box seems to help too.

C3D - 2014, Sincpac Addon
Land Surveyor
Message 8 of 12
jackamo

My Topography Template has 23 point groups.  My Utility Template has 12 Point Groups in it.  I tried to import the Points into both and neither one worked.   I have been working with the same templates for about 5 years.  In Civil3D 2012 It worked perfect.  I updated the templates to 2014 and now I can not import points.  Importing points is a very important part of my projects.  It is probably the most important part of my day. With No Points a Surveyor is of No Use.

What do you mean when you say (not using their "edit points" dialogue box)  I am not trying to edit any points.  I am just trying to import them.

On another note:

What do you have to do with Sincpac?????  We use that too.  It has some issue with the Dynamic Linc command not showing Geographic Coordinates.  State plane conversions work but not Geographic coordinates.

Message 9 of 12
paulgalli5397

All I know is that using the edit points dialogue box seems to corrupt point drawings and makes them hard to use.  I try to edit the points through prospector, which doesn't seem to do the same thing.  This is especially true on large point drawings.

You mentioned that you just updated your template from 2012.  Did you remake it from scratch, or did you just bring it into 2014 and saveas?  Our IT was adamant that we had to completely remake the template (which we did) in order to get around some known update issues.  I've heard of others getting corrupted drawings (especially those containing points) due to not redoing their template.

I have nothing to do with Syncpac.  I just use it.  Couldn't survey with C3d without it.  Can barely survey in C3d with it.  C3d labeling sucks, the legal description writer is cumbersome, the least squares adjustment is inadequate.  The only thing that works is Topos, which is about 1% of surveying.  Sorry - rant off.  I hate C3d for surveying.  And I'm pissed that Sync died.  He was the only one who figured out how to survey with this crap, which was to basically re-write it.

Land Surveyor
Message 10 of 12
rkmcswain

@Anonymous wrote:

Importing points is a very important part of my projects.  It is probably the most important part of my day. With No Points a Surveyor is of No Use.

Start eliminating things.

Turn off Desc Keys.

Start with a new empty (no template) drawing.

Start with a fresh virgin 2014 template.

Carve down your file to 50 pnts, 200 pts, etc.

etc.

See at what point things start breaking.

R.K. McSwain     | CADpanacea | on twitter
Message 11 of 12
jackamo
in reply to: rkmcswain

It seems to be having a few other issue with points.  When I try to Copy and Paste even a single points from one drawing to another Autocad locks up and Freezes.  It is not just happening to me but is happening to everyone in my office.  We buy our AutoCAD from a company called Surveyor's Exchange up here in Alaska and supprot is just terrible no help at all.  We just bought two copies of Carlson and if we can't resolve this point issue we will probably be making the switch.

Message 12 of 12
paulgalli5397

When you copy and paste, are your points locked?  You might try unlocking them first (before copying them).  I've had similar issues in the past due to locked points, locked surfaces, etc. 

Where in Alaska are you guys?  I grew up in Sitka, have inlaws in Anchorage.

Land Surveyor

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Rail Community

Autodesk Design & Make Report