Community
Civil 3D Forum
Welcome to Autodesk’s Civil 3D Forums. Share your knowledge, ask questions, and explore popular AutoCAD Civil 3D topics.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Civil 3D 2014 Import/Export Styles and Settings not working

8 REPLIES 8
SOLVED
Message 1 of 9
stevenh0616
1162 Views, 8 Replies

Civil 3D 2014 Import/Export Styles and Settings not working

I am having issues with the Import/Export Styles and settings command. I have ran the command numerous times on numerous drawings. I've tried selecting a few items to select all items. The result is that X number of styles were successfully imported along with settings. However, looking in my toolspace, they are not there. After some runs there is nothing there...

I have tried different drawings, auditing drawings for no errors, closing and reopening program, restarting computer, and reinstalling from the secondary installer... nothing fixes the issue.

I do have 2013, 2014, and 2015 all installed as we have users a bit spread out right now. Not sure if that would cause the issue.

Any ideas would be greatly appreciated.

Steve Hill
Civil Designer / .NET Developer
AutoCAD Certified Professional
AutoCAD Civil 3D Certified Professional
http://redtransitconsultants.com/
Autodesk Exchange Store
Twitter | LinkedIn

Please select the Accept this solution button if my post solves your issue or answers your question.

8 REPLIES 8
Message 2 of 9
stevenh0616
in reply to: stevenh0616

To follow up on this, I have tested in 2013 and it is also not working. However, I tested in 2015 and it is working great.

Does anyone know if having multiple products installed would cause the issue?

Steve Hill
Autodesk Exchange Store
Twitter | LinkedIn

Please select the Accept this solution button if my post solves your issue or answers your question.

Message 3 of 9
Jay_B

I have multiple versions installed and haven't seen what your describing.

Are you sure that when the command is run there aren't any potential backward compatibility issues?

As an example if I had 2012 c3d open and expected to import styles from a 2015 c3d dwt I wouldn't expect that to work.

C3D 2018.1
C3D 2016 SP4

Win 7 Professional 64 Bit
Message 4 of 9
stevenh0616
in reply to: Jay_B

Thanks, that may be the issue. I tested importing from other 2014 drawings and it seems to work.

The drawing we were using has been opened in 2015 and 2014. I tested saving back in 2014, and it still will not work. I didn't think it would be an issue since the drawing format is still 2013 - and supposedly there's 'roundtripping' of Civil3D objects. However, this doesn't seem to solve the issue, for this drawing.

Steve Hill
Autodesk Exchange Store
Twitter | LinkedIn

Message 5 of 9
Jay_B

The "Round Tripping" only applies to Data References AFAIK.

This is just a hunch but if saving a 2015.dwg back to 2014.dwg and then expecting to Import Styles successfully I see potential problems.

While 2013-2015 are all at least "somewhat" backward compatible but keep in mind with every yearly release there are at least some new styles & functionality. Doubt it but not sure Import Styles can keep all that straight when saving back from a newer version?

As a true test take a dwt which comes with that release year, add a couple copied styles (no work involved), just copy a couple random styles, save that dwg.

Open original dwt and run the import using the copied styles.dwg.

Did those newly copied styles get imported into the dwt?

C3D 2018.1
C3D 2016 SP4

Message 6 of 9
stevenh0616

To add, if it's a compatibility issue, then why does it allow me to open the drawing and drag it's styles into another through toolspace? This method works - maybe it's an issue with the command and compatibility...

Steve Hill
Autodesk Exchange Store
Twitter | LinkedIn

Message 7 of 9
stevenh0616

Yes it does work with 2014 drawings only, so it must be a compatibility issue with that command. However, as I mentioned above, it does work through toolspace. I can open a 2015 drawing and see the styles and drag them into a 2014 drawing.

Steve Hill
Autodesk Exchange Store
Twitter | LinkedIn

Message 8 of 9
Jay_B

@stevenh0616 wrote:

To add, if it's a compatibility issue, then why does it allow me to open the drawing and drag it's styles into another through toolspace? This method works - maybe it's an issue with the command and compatibility...

The drag/drop should work fine as long as it's apples to apples styles which are unchanged/not new features.

I wouldn't expect the IMPORTSTYLES tool to be able to handle any backward compatible scenario (coming from a Non- programmer here).

Take as an example I have a 2012 dwt and wish to import styles from a 2013 dwt.

(pretend they would be otherwise backward compatible, even though we know they are'nt).

In 2013 Pressure Pipes were introduced so the Importstyles routine in 2012 would have nothing inplace re: how to handle those Styles/settings.

I'd only expect the Import styles tool to work in a forward compatible scenario.

Importstyles also doesn't bring command & feature settings along for the ride.

C3D 2018.1
C3D 2016 SP4

Message 9 of 9
stevenh0616

Thanks Jay.

I am a programmer and I get that there are compatiabilty issues. However, there is no way for users to know if a drawing was saved in a newer version - like this example. The file was saved in 2015 and when I ran the import tool on the file, not realizing that it was saved, it reported back that the styles were added - but they were not. Opening the file 2015 in 2014, all the styles appear as normal - with no warnings as to the file was upgraded to 2015.

<vent>To me, that's very confusing for users and should be fixed. It's definitely a compatibility issue - but, Autodesk needs to provide some clearer understanding as to what format files are in... 2014 and 2015 are relatively the same products, thus there is absolutely no way a user would know this is the issue - other than the forum like this.</vent>

Thanks for your help in realizing the issue.

Steve Hill
Autodesk Exchange Store
Twitter | LinkedIn

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Rail Community

Autodesk Design & Make Report