Community
Civil 3D Forum
Welcome to Autodesk’s Civil 3D Forums. Share your knowledge, ask questions, and explore popular AutoCAD Civil 3D topics.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Civil 3D 2014 EXTREME time lags with plotting to PDF,

9 REPLIES 9
Message 1 of 10
Tentie
512 Views, 9 Replies

Civil 3D 2014 EXTREME time lags with plotting to PDF,

Sorry to hi-jack this thread but I can not find a way to ask my own question (even though I am logged in). Anyway - We are running AutoCAD Civil 3D 2014 SP#1. This morning I had no problem plotting to the PDF option (or publishing 60 pages to PDF files) but this afternoon it keeps going not responding. Exactly the same drawing and layout tabs, 5 seconds this morning and 45 minutes this afternoon for a single layout tab plot. I have done several hard reboots with no change. Windows 7 on Dell Optiplex980 computers. We just upgraded to 2014 in the office here, 4 computers all now running 2014, essentially identical computers. All seem to be running into EXTREME time lags with plotting to PDF, but not every time. Is there a setting that we may need to change? Does anyone have a thought that might help? We are getting very frustrated! Thanks in advance!

Split and Edited by
Discussion_Admin

Glen W. Cameron, C.E.T.
Engineering Technician 1
City of North Bay
North Bay, Ontario, Canada
9 REPLIES 9
Message 2 of 10
doni49
in reply to: Tentie

@glen.cameron wrote:
Sorry to hi-jack this thread but I can not find a way to ask my own question (even though I am logged in). Anyway - We are running AutoCAD Civil 3D 2014 SP#1. This morning I had no problem plotting to the PDF option (or publishing 60 pages to PDF files) but this afternoon it keeps going not responding. Exactly the same drawing and layout tabs, 5 seconds this morning and 45 minutes this afternoon for a single layout tab plot. I have done several hard reboots with no change. Windows 7 on Dell Optiplex980 computers. We just upgraded to 2014 in the office here, 4 computers all now running 2014, essentially identical computers. All seem to be running into EXTREME time lags with plotting to PDF, but not every time. Is there a setting that we may need to change? Does anyone have a thought that might help? We are getting very frustrated! Thanks in advance!

Are you logged into to the website?

C3DForumNewMessage.png

Don Ireland
Engineering Design Technician

If a reply solves your issue, please remember to click on "Accept as Solution". This will help other users looking to solve a similar issue. Thank you.

Please do not send a PM asking for assistance. That's what the forums are for. This allows everyone to benefit from the question asked and the answers given.

Message 3 of 10
Lisa_Pohlmeyer

What are you using to create your PDF files?  Adobe?  DWGtoPDF (that comes with Autodesk products).  I use the latter with better results. If you're using Adobe, perhaps there's an update waiting for your approval to install.

Lisa Pohlmeyer
Civil 3D User
Website | Facebook | Twitter

Message 4 of 10
Jay_B

@glen.cameron wrote:

This morning I had no problem plotting to the PDF option (or publishing 60 pages to PDF files) but this afternoon it keeps going not responding. Exactly the same drawing and layout tabs, 5 seconds this morning and 45 minutes this afternoon for a single layout tab plot.

Also check your Acad Profile, if your system should be looking to a network location for Plotting files.

Options>Files Tab>Printer Configuration Search Path>

Plot Styles

Plotters

PMP Files (Printer Calibration Files?)

Are these all set to your organizations location?

We've been seeing quite a few Profiles reset themselves to default, not sure exactly why but might have something

to do with Launching Civil 3D to quickly after cpu startup and network drives not being active & ready when C3d is

looking for it's supporting files. Never had this issue prior to 2014 here.

C3D 2018.1
C3D 2016 SP4

Win 7 Professional 64 Bit
Message 5 of 10
Tentie
in reply to: Lisa_Pohlmeyer

I always use the "DWGtoPDF" option. Thanks,
Glen W. Cameron, C.E.T.
Engineering Technician 1
City of North Bay
Message 6 of 10
Tentie
in reply to: Jay_B

No luck - everything looks correct and the same as it has always been. It may be the drawing. Other drawings do print as expected. About 50% of the drawings do not plot correctly (time lag), but the others seem to be normal. I have run the Audit command but it found nothing wrong. Still stumped...
Glen W. Cameron, C.E.T.
Engineering Technician 1
City of North Bay
Message 7 of 10
tmullins

Couple things I've seen slow it down in the past (although not to the extent you are describing) but it might help.

Uncheck Maintain Visual Fidelity in your Options. This (apparently) only comes into play when saving drawings down to an earlier version so there is no reason for it to be checked on.

Do you have any view DVIEWed? Had one project for whatever reason when the views were twisted they took forever to do anything. Just as a test we "untwisted" the views, and everything behaved normal.

Go into the Custom Properties for the .pc3 and bump the resolution down and quality "slider". We've had that help a ton when plotting to PDF, and the results are barely noticeable from the higher resolutions.

Good luck. I feel your pain.

Message 8 of 10
Tentie
in reply to: tmullins

Thank you for your thoughts. This particular drawing has 70 layout tabs each containing a single viewport with appropriate zoom ratio. Not much else to report other than standard draghting entities with annotative symbols and text all set to the same scale of 1:1 all sitting over an Xref'ed master drawing. What gets me is that it worked fine for several years, and then one afternoon it simply started acting up. Nothing new was done to the drawing as only the Xref is updated. And the master drawing is fine so it should Xref in just fine as well. Hmmm....
Glen W. Cameron, C.E.T.
Engineering Technician 1
City of North Bay
Message 9 of 10
jkier

Not sure it'll help but I know I cannot use the publish in background option without terrible lag. Worth a shot
Message 10 of 10
Tentie
in reply to: jkier

I too have found that the Publish in Background does not work in most cases, or takes so long that I have to leave it over night for a few simple pages. I have also tried publishing without doing it in the background and it took 6 hours to do the 64 layout tabs. Normally the 64 pages would take less than 30 minutes to publish them to PDF in the foreground. Thanks for the comments!
Glen W. Cameron, C.E.T.
Engineering Technician 1
City of North Bay

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Rail Community

Autodesk Design & Make Report