Community
Civil 3D Forum
Welcome to Autodeskā€™s Civil 3D Forums. Share your knowledge, ask questions, and explore popular AutoCAD Civil 3D topics.
cancel
Showing results forĀ 
ShowĀ Ā onlyĀ  | Search instead forĀ 
Did you mean:Ā 

CIVIL 3D 2013 RUNNING ON WINDOWS 8

15 REPLIES 15
SOLVED
Message 1 of 16
lwalker
3069 Views, 15 Replies

CIVIL 3D 2013 RUNNING ON WINDOWS 8

I recently upgraded my computer to run Windows 8 Pro.  Everything is working great except for the grading functions in Civil 3D.  All other areas function fine but when I am in a grading plan and try to do anything the program crashes and shuts down, any suggestions?

15 REPLIES 15
Message 2 of 16
DarrenP
in reply to: lwalker

Windows 8 is not a supported OS for Civil 3D which means autodesk did not test it on windows 8 so what ever problems you run into my or may not get fixed in 2013

you can look through here for issues and workarounds other people have posted: http://forums.autodesk.com/t5/forums/searchpage/tab/message/?page=2&q=windows+8&search_type=thread

DarrenP
Did you find this post helpful? Feel free to Like this post.
Did your question get successfully answered? Then click on the ACCEPT SOLUTION button.

EESignature

Message 3 of 16
john_gildersleeve

So you are saying this problem with windows 8 and civil 3d crashing will not be fixed this year? Are they attempting to fix this?

Message 4 of 16
DarrenP
in reply to: john_gildersleeve

maybe or maybe not

windows 8 came out after civil 3d 2013 was released

may have to wait until 2014 to release for a fix

DarrenP
Did your question get successfully answered? Then click on the ACCEPT SOLUTION button.

EESignature

Message 5 of 16

So how do you go about trying to get these problems fixed? Is autodesk attempting to try to help out? If so how do I get in touch with support?

Message 6 of 16
Jeff_M

@john_gildersleeve wrote:

So how do you go about trying to get these problems fixed? Is autodesk attempting to try to help out? If so how do I get in touch with support?

I don't, since I know that C3D2013, and earlier, is not officially supported by Autodesk. Nor do I expect them to. When the next version is released, assuming it will be Win8 compliant, then I may get a new PC with Win8. In the meantime, I will continue to work without too many progam errors with my trusty Win7 and C3D 2012/2013.

If you want to submit a support request, there is a mechanism for that in the Subscription site. Not on Subscription? Then there's the web form: http://usa.autodesk.com/adsk/servlet/index?siteID=123112&id=1109794

Jeff_M, also a frequent Swamper
EESignature
Message 7 of 16
tcorey

You won't necessarily get this issue fixed, at least not by Autodesk. There might or might not be a service pack for 2013 to address this issue.

I have had a couple clients who installed using Windows 7 Compatibility Mode and are up and running with no errors.

Also, you if you want to spend some time with it, you can test in diagnostic startup. If that works, try selective startup and one-by-one re-apply the services you turned off. Eventually you'll find one that's conflicting with grading. This could take hours.

Personally, I am doing what JeffM is doing. I'll install Win8 when Autodesk says they support it. At this point they have not said that.

Tim Corey
MicroCAD Training and Consulting, Inc.
Redding, CA
Autodesk Gold Reseller

New knowledge is the most valuable commodity on earth. -- Kurt Vonnegut
Message 8 of 16
lwalker

Not sure how you install using windows 7 compatibility mode, do you mean once it is installed to click on the program and set it to run in compatibility mode? Thanks Larry H. Walker, PE President walker associates engineers 32 Clarksville Street | Suite 202 Paris, Texas 75460 M| 903-272-5231 lwalker@wacivil.com
Message 9 of 16
DarrenP

yes

DarrenP

EESignature

Message 10 of 16
john_gildersleeve

Good idea, but it did not work for my CAD. It crashed just as fast with the changes you described. I am going to end up switching hardrives to run Windows 7 inorder to run CAD. This will be alot of work and I am not real happy about it. I am going to warn everyone I know that uses CAD, that Windows 8 and CAD are not a good mix.

Message 11 of 16
lwalker

I appreciate all the discussion, I too will be going back to Windows 7 tomorrow.

Thanks again...

Message 12 of 16
tcorey

@Anonymous wrote:
Not sure how you install using windows 7 compatibility mode, do you mean once it is installed to click on the program and set it to run in compatibility mode? Thanks Larry H. Walker, PE President walker associates engineers 32 Clarksville Street | Suite 202 Paris, Texas 75460 M| 903-272-5231 lwalker@wacivil.com

No. If you did that, you should uninstall and clean the registry per Autodesk Tech Doc TS45252. When you go to re-install, right click the Setup.exe file and pick Properties. In Win7, there is a Compatibility tab where you set the compatibility mode. It's likely in the same place in Win8, but since I don't have Win8 I'm not positive about that.

Run the setup again.

Tim Corey
Redding, CA
Autodesk Gold Reseller

Message 13 of 16
john_gildersleeve
in reply to: tcorey

Thanks for the clarification on where to change the settings for compatibilty at. I did exactly what you said to do by changing the compatibilty at the Setup.exe file. Then proceeded to finish installation with the same results as before. No luck doing it this way. Still crashes hard. Windows 7 will be installed. Thanks for your help! John

Message 14 of 16

I've been using Win 8/C3D 2013 at home for the past few months. Seems fairly stable with a newly created drawing and/or using plain AutoCAD commands. Things get more dicey with Civil 3D routines - especifically if the drawing/objects were created with an earlier version. I'm running this combination because I upgraded an older machine from XP to Win 8. So far, I like Win 8 much better than XP.

Since we are only a few months give or take from Autodesk releasing C3D 2014 I'm betting against a service pack being released for C3D 2013 to provide Win 8 compatibility. Usually I hold off for a while before installing a new release of Civil 3D, but in this case I'll load it up as soon as it's released. Smiley Happy

As others have suggested above, I'd stay away from Win 8 right now in a production environment.

Mark Castle
Win 10 64-Bit, Thinkpad P50
16 GB RAM; Core i7-6820HQ; Quadro M1000M
Message 15 of 16
tcorey

@john_gildersleeve wrote:

.... Windows 7 will be installed...

Probably a prudent move. Good luck!

Tim

Tim Corey
Redding, CA
Autodesk Gold Reseller

Message 16 of 16
DilloN-2k

I just wish I would have known about the problem before installing win8. Thanks for the postings guys. It was helpful.

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Rail Community

Autodesk Design & Make Report