I cancelled the installation of C3D 2013 because I thought it was locked up. Now it will not install because it thinks it is already installed.
I have removed all folders that I can find relating to Civil 3d and removed some registry keys with help from our support team at Eagle Point. They can't figure out what I should do next.
Has anyone ran into this issue, I really need to get this installed on this one machine ASAP, and I dont want to reformat to accomplish it.
I believe the problem lies within the registry, but I'm not all that comfortable editing it without specific instructions.
A great tool for all types of install/un-install problems is Microsoft FixIt! http://support.microsoft.com/fixit/
You can use it over the web or a standalone version you can put on a USB drive.
I've been through what you are facing. It is a horrible process that took MANY days of following ADESK support guidance that didn't work, failed install attempts and trial and error troubleshooting. The only way I've been able to get the installer freed up is to uninstall ALL Autocad applications and then delete ALL registry entries related to Autodesk+Autocad+Map+Civil3D+C3D+Infrastructure suite. There are thousands of entries so you will never get the job done using the Windows Registry editor. You will need to obtain a registry utility that allows you to filter, select and delete multiple entries. I used the free version of REGISTRAR but even with that tool it was a tedious task.
You will also need to delete any Autodesk folders in your user profile and your programs folders (be sure to delete the Autodesk folder in the Common Files folder under the programs folder too), then clean out your user profile temp folder and do a reboot before attempting to re-install.
I must say that Autodesk really needs to provide a suite uninstall utility or revise the installer to allow for repairs or reinstalls when this happens.
By the way, after all the headaches I've experienced just to get the software re-installed, I'm again encountering the crashing problem that led me to re-install in the first place. I've now been dead in the water for more than 2 months on my home machine. If I weren't so dependent on this software I would have given up by now but I really don't have that option so I'll have to continue poking along with support requests.
P.S. I tried following all the suggestions recommended on the forums and knowledgebase along with the utilities such as CCLEANER/Microsoft FixIt and more. None of them worked and it just wasted hours of time cleaning up after every failed install. I think you'll be better off just cleaning everything out and starting fresh.
Wow, I don't want to do all that!
I have heard some 3rd party reg. cleaners might solve the problem.
I went thru the steps on the AD website to no avail.
Thankfully this is not my computer, and I did install it sucessfully on another machine, so the bad one is still functioning with C3D 2012, so until push comes to shove (which it will) I'm lettling it lay.
As far as registry cleaners, I tried CCLEAN, REGCLEAN, Advanced System Optimizer and I think one or 2 others to no avail. They might work for you if you don't mind going through the install process a few times to see.
If you can't get any of the recommended solutions to work you'll likely end up having to uninstall 2012. Otherwise you'll have to guess which registry entries to leave vs. which to delete and you'd probably end up corrupting it too.
I've read through the thread on the Forums post and wanted to suggest that you try first to remove the Windows Installer entries in the Registry that cause this kind of behavior. I'm linking to the Install and Licensing blog post that describes the steps to resolve this:
To remove any remaining Windows Installer entries referring to the 2013 product, you can download a copy of CCleaner from:
Then you can run the utility, setting it to search the Registry for Applications, Installer and Obsolete Software. This should pick up any leftover entries from the uninstall for the product.
Here's a summary of the instructions in the blog post:
1. Browse to the following locations in the registry, using Regedit.exe:
2. Right click on these locations and type the application name and then search. Remove any entries found related to the product that is reported as already installed.
Or you can right click on those three reg locations listedand search (Find) for the application name (Civil 3D, etc), removing/deleting anything from the GUID level as demonstrated in this screen cast.
It is strongly recommended to back up the registry prior to making any edits or modifications.
On rare occasions, the Windows Installer service requires that all Component GUIDS and other registry entries from the install also be removed as in the post from the other users on this thread. However, this occurs only on a few occasions so it is a good idea to try the suggestions above first.
Please let me know if this helps. Thanks.
Access a broad range of knowledge to help get the most out of your products and services.